DIY Heaterbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Heaterbox

Anyone ever attempted this. My car did not come with the heaterbox and I really dont feel like going through the hassel of installing another one from the junkyard that might not even work, plus I dont need A/C and I dont want the venting and everything, its for a primarily track car. I just need to be able to drive it around when its colder then 50 degrees out.

I want to create a simple box out of polycarbonate with the the stock heatercore mounted inside of it. Im going to have 1 or 2 fans mounted on the back of the box wired to switches on my aluminum HVAC panel blank I made (along with switches for everything else; headlights, fogs, windows, radio, ignition,etc). Then Im going to run a few duct hoses off the front of the box. One to each footwell, one to the center vents, and one up to the windshield defroster vents.

something like this

Some questions I have been thinking about.

-Do I need to take the air I am going to heat from the space between the firewall where the blower motor is or can I just take it from the cabin, and will this affect the defrosting abilities.

-I kind of want to put a valve inline with the coolant coming into the car so I can throttle back the amount of heat. Im guessing i would have to put a "T" fitting in both the lines and put a valve in between to control that

-I still want am going to have to figure where to grab power from, thoughts?

-Also I plan on running the coolant lines right from the block into the car without using the stock plumbing, How hard is it gonna be to reach the inlet and outlet on the block, i havent even looked at that yet.

I have a pretty blank canvas so that should make things easier

Wish me luck!

:d
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
      :d
      I think the majority of my threads scare people away.

Comment

No, no, no...and no. Your making something you don't need to, and sounds like just for the sake of making something, which will turn into something extremely exaggerated and inefficient. Installing a factory HVAC box into the factory mounts will be the least of your worries compared to what you want to do, even IF you so decide to install one that has a bunk heater core; an easy solution to this - verify that it works.

Hooking up heat on an M50 swap is not a quandary. Bend the heater core feed and return nipples down on the firewall to clear the intake manifold, and...wallah!
        Last edited by Turd; 12-08-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

that sounds almost as bad as going to the dentist....maybe worse

Comment

HEY! look up some 4x4 applications, they do this sort of thing ALL the time.

Comment

just get a 12v heater fan online. it plug right into your cig lighter hole and you don't have to wait for the heat.

Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Turd View Post
                No, no, no...and no. Your making something you don't need to, and sounds like just for the sake of making something, which will turn into something extremely exaggerated and inefficient. Installing a factory HVAC box into the factory mounts will be the least of your worries compared to what you want to do, even IF you so decide to install one that has a bunk heater core; an easy solution to this - verify that it works.

Hooking up heat on an M50 swap is not a quandary. Bend the heater core feed and return nipples down on the firewall to clear the intake manifold, and...wallah!
                If I did the swap i would know where everything was already. As you can see EVERYTHING has been gutted and i have none of it.

Originally posted by grantlacey11 View Post
                that sounds almost as bad as going to the dentist....maybe worse
                Thanks for the input

Originally posted by Tree18is View Post
                HEY! look up some 4x4 applications, they do this sort of thing ALL the time.
                Sweet, you got any links to anything helpful?

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                just get a 12v heater fan online. it plug right into your cig lighter hole and you don't have to wait for the heat.

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/Dealma...ield_Defroster

I heard these do nothing.

Comment

i went to the dentist yesterday
                  NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Route the exhaust pipe inside the cabin. In the summer, cover it with some aluminum foil, but in the winter, just run it as is. If you have a water spray bottle, you can mist it at the hot exhaust pipe. Having hydrated sinuses in the winter is KEY.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                      Route the exhaust pipe inside the cabin. In the summer, cover it with some aluminum foil, but in the winter, just run it as is. If you have a water spray bottle, you can mist it at the hot exhaust pipe. Having hydrated sinuses in the winter is KEY.
                      If this has been done before why am I getting so much shit like this from it.

Comment

promising...

Comment

I have a parts coupe you can come get for free and then you'd have everything you need for the swap.

EDIT: Bring wheels and tires because I'm keeping the weaves it has on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                            I have a parts coupe you can come get for free and then you'd have everything you need for the swap.

EDIT: Bring wheels and tires because I'm keeping the weaves it has on it.
                            more info?

Comment

Put the stock heater back in, you will need it to keep your windows from fogging up. Don't wast your time redesigning a heater system when bmw already did that.

Comment

Working...
                              X