E30 + R134 = not impressed

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jrobie79
    replied
    Originally posted by Falconer
    Which parallel condenser are you guys going with? There seems to be various sizes but no specific model for our cars.
    x2

    Leave a comment:


  • hendrixvodu
    replied
    Originally posted by VinniE30
    In my m30 e30 I have a recently charged R134 converted working AC system and it blows quite cold for an e30 IMO.

    same here mine blows nice and cool ....had a problem with it not getting that cold at a stop but i had no ac fan once i fixed that it is very nice, its not like it was 100 here but it was a muggy 85 yesterday and it did the trick

    Leave a comment:


  • mutty
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryann
    ^There is nothing more to explain.
    You are a Refrigeration/AC mechanic by trade and that is the difference.

    Leave a comment:


  • Falconer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryann
    If you didn't properly evacuate the system with a vacuum pump then you need to start over.
    T'was evacuated by me, albeit using a rather homemade pump.

    Originally posted by Heysüß
    ALWAYS fill by weight. If it's not cooling very well at idle it could mean your coils are dirty. forcing more refrigerant in will only raise your pressures and maybe even have a negative effect on your cooling capabilities.

    There's always a sweet spot for AC systems. Too much or too little and it will not cool at its maximum.

    If there's a lot of crud stuck in your coil rinse it out and check your pressures again, they should've fallen a bit so now you can even pump some more refrigerant in if it's not at the ideal pressures.
    To clarify, I've only put in ONE can of the stuff. I think what was throwing me off was how long it was taking to suck in the stuff. I can adjust the pressure with the valve/gauge kit so obviously its not a good representation of how "charged" the system is. And are you talking about INSIDE the condenser being clogged? Or just the fins being littered with debris from the road? Thanks!

    Which parallel condenser are you guys going with? There seems to be various sizes but no specific model for our cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    Your hard work and effort isn't worth anything if you're doing it wrong. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    ^There is nothing more to explain.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zasz
    replied
    R414b is drop in with our current system?

    That sounds too good to be true. Explain?

    Leave a comment:


  • VinniE30
    replied
    In my m30 e30 I have a recently charged R134 converted working AC system and it blows quite cold for an e30 IMO.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    For the 246th time I'll go ahead and mention that there is a gas called r414b aka 'Hot Shot' that is a direct r-12 drop in and 100% compatible with the condenser, pressure switch, expansion valve, compressor, and compressor oil already in our r-12 cars. I have successfully retrofitted more automotive systems than I could possibly count using this gas. It can be purchased on ebay in 10 oz. cans or from your local refrigeration supply house in 25 lb. jugs (you'll need an EPA Cert. card or someone who has one for this), the recommended charge being 80% of the original by weight.

    As when using any gas your system must be free of leaks, it's components functional, and properly evacuated if you want it to work well long-term.

    Leave a comment:


  • TrentW
    replied
    Originally posted by Heysüß
    ALWAYS fill by weight. If it's not cooling very well at idle it could mean your coils are dirty. forcing more refrigerant in will only raise your pressures and maybe even have a negative effect on your cooling capabilities.

    There's always a sweet spot for AC systems. Too much or too little and it will not cool at its maximum.

    If there's a lot of crud stuck in your coil rinse it out and check your pressures again, they should've fallen a bit so now you can even pump some more refrigerant in if it's not at the ideal pressures.
    Originally posted by Ryann
    If you didn't properly evacuate the system with a vacuum pump then you need to start over.
    Correct and correct. Take it to a professional to have the system evacuated and then charged by WEIGHT using a digital scale or you're just wasting your time and money.

    Leave a comment:


  • Click
    replied
    My e30 was converted to 134a, to what extent I do not know. I know the car had poor a/c when I went to buy it, brought up the fact that it sucked, the guy "topped it off" and it worked great at highway speeds and poor at idle. I noticed this last leak last september and my ac has little effect at all now.



    After reading all the replies and the other thread it seems there is no cure all. People report supurb results with a stock system, others change parts. I think that all I am going to do other than replace the line is go with a spal fan and a new parallel flow condenser.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    Originally posted by Falconer
    Bumping this thread to see if I can get some help.

    I opened up the A/C system to change out the receiver/dryer, change the expansion valve along with the o-rings and a few of lines that looked a bit corroded.
    If you didn't properly evacuate the system with a vacuum pump then you need to start over.

    Leave a comment:


  • Heysüß
    replied
    Originally posted by Falconer
    Bumping this thread to see if I can get some help.

    I opened up the A/C system to change out the receiver/dryer, change the expansion valve along with the o-rings and a few of lines that looked a bit corroded.

    I filled the system up with a can of this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

    R12a. I put in one can (6oz's), and the instructions said to not allow the pressure to exceed 38psi. Should I be filling the e30's system with this stuff by weight or just by the pressure? The A/C doesn't seem to want to blow really cold at idle/city speeds.
    ALWAYS fill by weight. If it's not cooling very well at idle it could mean your coils are dirty. forcing more refrigerant in will only raise your pressures and maybe even have a negative effect on your cooling capabilities.

    There's always a sweet spot for AC systems. Too much or too little and it will not cool at its maximum.

    If there's a lot of crud stuck in your coil rinse it out and check your pressures again, they should've fallen a bit so now you can even pump some more refrigerant in if it's not at the ideal pressures.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30loverSC
    replied
    Check this out!!

    Leave a comment:


  • TurboJake
    replied
    Both really. Remember, the E30 requires 2.5 lbs (30oz) of r12 from dead empty. It's roughly 85% of that for R134, or 25.5 oz. It's better to go off of pressure rather than weight , especially while filling.

    You also need to make sure that the compressor is running while recharging the system.

    Also, R12a is propane and butane... Just so you know.

    Leave a comment:

Working...