Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has your E30 tried to kill you?

Hey,

I'm fairly new when it comes to working on cars to the extent that I am about to do, an m50 engine swap. I'll have the help of my father through the swap so everything should be fine.

However, I've read a few posts on r3V on ways that their e30's have taken swing at the owners, one of the worst has been a bumper tuck and inhaling the mist that comes out of the cylinders. I can also think of dropping the subframe and electrical shock (unplug the battery)

What other ways can an e30 strike back?
    r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

I nicked my knuckle on the alternator fan. I guess more of a bite.
    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

r3v is the most common, though only a small part of that is design.
      88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
      We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I installed drop hats which caused my steering to completely lock up as I was turning right to get on a freeway onramp. So not exactly the cars fault since I installed an aftermarket part that I was under the impression would work without flaw. I pulled over on the onramp and was able to force the steering free by grabbing the tire at 9 and 3 and giving it a solid yank.

I took the suspension all apart , ground the drop hats down so they wouldn't lodge themselves into the inside of the strut tower and all has been well since.

My other E30 had a little issue too: I had just gotten it, had been driving it for 10 minutes and decided to give it full throttle. It had some stupid pedal covers which jammed and the throttle stuck at full throttle. I grabbed neutral, switched the car off and reached down to un-stick the pedal in world record time.

So in both cases, potential accidents were caused by parts that dont belong on the car to begin with.

Comment

my throttle got stuck wide open cus of the stupid cruise control cable got stuck on the throttle body.. i punched the clutch in and my car hit the r3v limiter for a few seconds until getting unstuck and scared a bunch of pedestrians. thank god for manual trans lol

Comment

fell off the stupid factory jack and almost killed me lol even with 1 jackstand already up under it.
            sigpic

Comment

yes it had bitten me, and tried to kill me more than once
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

not me but a friend had a diff sieze up at 80km/h

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                  I installed drop hats which caused my steering to completely lock up as I was turning right to get on a freeway onramp. So not exactly the cars fault since I installed an aftermarket part that I was under the impression would work without flaw. I pulled over on the onramp and was able to force the steering free by grabbing the tire at 9 and 3 and giving it a solid yank.

I took the suspension all apart , ground the drop hats down so they wouldn't lodge themselves into the inside of the strut tower and all has been well since.
                  Price of going low my friend :p

Vinyl Lettering

Comment

I've had my accelerator pedal stick wide open coming out of a corner in second while driving spiritedly on a back road, thank god I'm not a Prius driver or shit would have been bad.

I've also had it fall off the factory widow maker jack while removing a tire almost removing all my fingers, car fell and ended up resting with the lip of the brake rotor resting against the inner wheel lip, my fingers were between the wheel and the fender. Lesson learned: don't use that piece of shit jack on soft gravel and don't be careless.

Other than that nothing really comes to mind.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

I got kissed in the forehead by the oil drain tube for the head.

Now I know why they call it the suicide tube.
                      sigpic
                      Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

Fucking factory jack... Nuff said :hitler:

Edit: Reason for jack failure was on my way to school on the freeway the rear shock bolt stripped out... Drove like 30 miles with no driver side rear shock. Talk about sketch...

Last edited by nickflic3; 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM.
                        Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
                        Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
                        Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                        Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Had the car start to lean towards me while slowly on the factory jack, so I had to scramble getting the wheel back on.

Went through a puddle in the rain and got the powersteering wet I think(ripped boot?) and had my steering-wheel lock on me for a second.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

definitely had the accelerator cable get stuck on me at WOT when i was driving outta dc. (that was a fun time) nearly dropped the car on myself cuz i was being careless with jack stands. welded a socket wrench when i shorted the battery. Basically all the shit my cars give me is from careless or half-assed mistakes.
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

i cut my knuckles countless times on the exhaust bracket during my tranny swap.
                              '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
                              '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
                              '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
                              '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

Working...
                              X