Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Boost
    replied
    I’m really interested in swapping transfer cases. So if anyone has info that might help let me know. I really don’t know anything about the ix set up. I talked to my mechanic who works on race cars and Porsches and he is really interested in doing this....I would just need to get the funds together haha

Leave a comment:

• Over Boost
    replied
    Originally posted by NC325iC
    someone should really get a xfer case off a newer car and try to swap it into an e30. that may solve alot of the problems
    What might fit?

Leave a comment:

• bmw332i
    replied
    Thanks for that wonderful dissertation.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by bmw332i
    Well, instead of "LOL"ing, why not edumacate me? What is the drivetrain loss on an e30 325iX?
    honestly I don't know the exact figure, but 30% drivetrain loss isn't even remotely realistic for any car, regardless of its drivetrain layout.

It's simple physics. What do you think is happening to that "lost" power? Conservation of energy: some of it is being turned into noise, some into rotational inertia (wheels, driveshafts, etc), but the vast majority turns into heat. That power doesn't just vanish into thin air.

If drivetrain loss were 30%, and 25% of that were turned into heat energy, your drivetrain would probably melt. On a stock M20 with 168hp, that would be 42hp or ~3100 watts of energy doing nothing but heating up your transmission. say nothing of the guys running 300hp turbo ixs for many years without burning up their tranny or transfer cases.

Also compare acceleration times between an ix and a 325is. if drivetrain loss were twice as high (15% is a good estimate for a RWD E30), wouldn't you expect an ix to be much slower? Of course it has a different final drive ratio, but balance out the extra weight (~150lbs) and added drivetrain loss (5%?) and you have a car that is .5 seconds slower in the 1/4. with 30% drivetrain loss it would certainly be much slower, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• NC325iC
    replied
    someone should really get a xfer case off a newer car and try to swap it into an e30. that may solve alot of the problems

Leave a comment:

• Hatchman
    replied
    Originally posted by grapedrink
    Basically everything you want the IX to do is not going to happen with an IX.
    word

Leave a comment:

• bmw332i
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    also, if you think the drivetrain loss is 30%.. well, I'd just have to LOL.

Well, instead of "LOL"ing, why not edumacate me? What is the drivetrain loss on an e30 325iX?

Leave a comment:

• Over Boost
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave
    Blame the EVO 8 and WRX generation :)

Who me.... nah I just watch a lot of top gear. Everyone knows the S.T.I.G plus AWD owns JOO! haha

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Blame the EVO 8 and WRX generation :)

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave
    Charlie, AWD cars get AWESOM GRIP YO! DID'NT YO KNO>?
    yeah, I hate that too. I always get people asking me if my car is faster than a 325is simply because it's AWD.. uhh, no? :)

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie
    I um, well, no.

I mean, I guess if you figure a heavier vehicle with more parasitic drivetrain loss and a worse overall weight balance to be faster, sure. That being said, yes the cars are tons of fun in loose surfaces, but in terms of dry weather performance, they're definetly trailing the standard 2wd cars.

-Charlie
    Charlie, AWD cars get AWESOM GRIP YO! DID'NT YO KNO>?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Over Boost
    Wow your sister is awsome! Does anyone know what the front/rear power split in the ix is? Like is it 50/50 40/60 etc...
    power split is 37/63 f/r

there's a few people in the yahoo group '325ixclub' that have had turbo ix's in the past, you might want to talk to them. 13s are definintely a possibility with a turbo. there's a few that have done 11s as well, but they're usually crazy guys in europe with access to cheaper and more plentiful parts. The drivetrain gets bad rep but honestly I think most of it is due to neglect and ignorance. A better solution to shimming the front driveshaft is having the spline section lengthened, it's actually fairly cheap (especially compared to the price of a new driveshaft and gears).

As for handling, the biggest thing holding me back is the lack of aftermarket parts. You can get konis, which are great, but spring selection is limited (H&R sports is pretty much it). Coilovers are doable but you have to cut up your very expensive struts. No camber plates are available, but I think I have a solution for that (will post more on that later). You can use any E30's rear swaybar, but there is nothing for the front - the ix touring's swaybar is a little larger but just went NLA (why oh why did I have to wait, they were less than $150 new!). I got some adjustable front endlinks which helped a lot, but I don't think the guy who did them is making any more.

Currently I have H&R sports, konis, stock swaybars, offset CABs, urethane bushings, front strut brace and adjustable front endlinks. The weakest parts of my suspension are lack of front camber and body roll. It's been a long time since I've experienced understeer in my car, partially due to better driving, but also due to tires and a few other tweaks.

also, if you think the drivetrain loss is 30%.. well, I'd just have to LOL.

Leave a comment:

• bmw332i
    replied
    Wow your sister is awsome! Does anyone know what the front/rear power split in the ix is? Like is it 50/50 40/60 etc...

I think she's pretty cool too. The power split is 37%/63% f/r. And Charlie's right. While the iX is insane in poor weather conditions (with the right tires), they aren't nearly as fun in the dry as say a 325iS. They are heavier, what with the transfer case, and front diff, etc... The drivetrain loss is closer to 30% (or more?), but they still handle really well when properly set-up. I just think it would be a terrible waste if you were to turbo the iX, and then end up with a busted t-case, driveshaft(s), and whatever else. You'd most definitely have to part it, as the rebuild on a t-case and driveshafts/diffs would be regoddamndiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Simon S
    replied
    Anyways 3000 is a good price for a pretty clean 91 325ix coupe right? Atleast I can sell it for a profit right?
    yeah. That's a great price. especially in light of stuff already done to it.

sell for profit? also likely.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie
    replied
    IDK I know its not as easy as a RWD E30 but im reading mixed reviews. I know the RWD one is "more fun" with oversteer and all but in the end isnt AWD always faster?

I um, well, no.

I mean, I guess if you figure a heavier vehicle with more parasitic drivetrain loss and a worse overall weight balance to be faster, sure. That being said, yes the cars are tons of fun in loose surfaces, but in terms of dry weather performance, they're definetly trailing the standard 2wd cars.

-Charlie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X