Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golde30
    replied
    im going to be trying this technique on my uncles beater e28 535is...its dschwarz and has horrible oxidation on all surfaces pointing up. we figure its worth a try since he wont be ponying up for a real paint job anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• bimmerphile
    replied
    That is, hands down, the longest post I have ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• diegom6
    replied
    Cheap= End in double cost, hence = Expensive! :)

Leave a comment:

• Erick
    replied
    Originally posted by M3 Ryan
    Its all in the prep.
    I cannot stress this enough... its really what it comes down to.

Leave a comment:

• M3 Ryan
    replied
    This is a killer idea. I painted my E28 in my garage but I sprayed it and it was $400 in materials. This paintjob looks as good if not better than mine did. Its all in the prep. I spent 100 hours stripping the car, sanding everything, priming/filling/blocking/priming ect and then shot the car after every panel had been primed. It looked nice from 10ft but the clearcoat was a bit thin and was too dry when I sprayed it. I will probably do this on a car one day, but I don't have any beaters to try it on at the moment...

Leave a comment:

• AdironRider
    replied
    It doesnt look as good as if you got it painted but for 50 bucks and some elbow grease, you cant go wrong. It really doesnt seem to have the depth and shine that a real paintjob would have.

Leave a comment:

• kylebes1
    replied
    Originally posted by rwdrift
    Not really. I always surprise people when I tell them that I painted the car with paint rollers. No one believes it.

I spoke with someone who works in a body shop and he said it wasnt bad at all, with some orange peel aside (my fault).

But I guess trying to defend it online is pointless. Youd have to see it in person. If you ever have something lying around that could use some new paint I suggest you try it.

- Erick
    Werd

Dude that car was amazing! I am picky as hell and it suprised me. If it was my track car, or even a daily driver, I would have no problem rocking that!

Some colors, ei white, probably look better than others, ei black!

If I did it, I would prep it and all that, get it on pretty thick and hit it with a water-bug (power wetsander!).

Ericks car came out great, not a show stopper, but it looked good and was protected from rust.

Kyle

Leave a comment:

• Erick
    replied
    Not really. I always surprise people when I tell them that I painted the car with paint rollers. No one believes it.

I spoke with someone who works in a body shop and he said it wasnt bad at all, with some orange peel aside (my fault).

But I guess trying to defend it online is pointless. Youd have to see it in person. If you ever have something lying around that could use some new paint I suggest you try it.

- Erick

Leave a comment:

• bmwmike
    replied
    hmm, ive read it before and dont think i could trust it. You must be able to tell its been brushed on

Leave a comment:

• Erick
    replied
    For $50?? A shitload better than I expected. In reality it all comes down to how much wetsanding you do to take care of the orange peel. I left some of it there because I didnt have the patience, but if one were so inclined, it could come out with showroom quality.... shining and everything.

I have no good pictures right now... theres some in the 275whp vs 75whp thread.

Leave a comment:

• bwanac
    replied
    howd it turn out?

Leave a comment:

• Erick
    replied
    thats old. I painted my 318i with that info.

Originally posted by optimusp517
    50 bucks and a sh*tload of labor!
    quoted for truth. Wetsanding was the worst part.

Leave a comment:

• browntown
    replied
    doesn't charlie want to paint his track car? tremclad orange with jager decals, noone will know.

Leave a comment:

• optimusp517
    replied
    50 bucks and a sh*tload of labor!

Leave a comment:

• chuckybob
    replied
    thats pretty nifty. i mostly like the part about this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X