Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. That s54 car is much lower than I expected at this point. No offense to the seller but I really wonder if those wheels are killing it
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
      Wow. That s54 car is much lower than I expected at this point. No offense to the seller but I really wonder if those wheels are killing it
      The wheels, the tires, unrepaired hail damage combined with oxidation, haphazard cleaning, beat headliner, bum front strut mounts.

I still think the car's well done, but it's "just a driver"- and a lot of the BaT crowd likes either over-the-top cars with everything done perfectly or near-stock cars with zero mods and recent maintenance. There are just enough problems with this car that require real work to fix that it deflates the price.

The wheels are great wheels but look kinda odd on an e30, it comes with extra tires but that's extra hassle for a buyer, it's priced low enough right now that the hail damage and oxidation could be repaired but again, extra hassle, the cleaning is only a presentation item, the headliner is a pain compared to later cars and the front strut mounts are $86 for the pair through IE.
      1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

That s54 really pulled through in the end. I think the seller did well at 18.5. If he spent money fixing the paint, swapping wheels, etc. I don't think he would have gotten it back. Not really any data points but I figured a really clean looking s54 swap with A/C, PS, power brakes would pull 20-22.
        Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

The more you deviate away from OEM stuff the more polarizing the car becomes. In his case the wheels and seats likely cost him a little bit, but not to the right person. Even then, it limits the bids so you could end up selling it to someone who likes those parts and didnt have to pay as much as they were willing to.

At $18.5k it was a good sell, and a good buy.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Wheels are definitely polarizing but I can't believe the negative response towards real Recaro SRD's. Those are excellent, period correct seats for the car and with 330+HP, the extra support is needed. One could easily sell those seats if they desired and the wheels are easily changed. Looked like typical BAT knitpicking to me. It's funny how the period correct thing applies to everything except the engine.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

SRDs look soft. They're like sport seats that got married, settled down and had a couple kids. Yeah, they're period, which is cool... but the lines aren't clean and crisp and pared down like what draws me to an e30.

I don't get the allure of an S54 swap, but I do get that anyone with a day job and married life duties couldn't replicate that car for $18,500.
              1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

The s54 is incredible in a well-built chassis. The allure is that it's an absolutely fantastic motor in a fun/light chassis and With engine prices dropping like they are, it's a pretty amazing package for the money. I think the price is about right on this car, it still needs some supporting modifications to be finished but what has been done is pretty well executed. If you're a solid wrench with a cool wife, you can do an s54 swap for ~$7500 or so. I agree with Simon, well bought and well sold
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                  The s54 is incredible in a well-built chassis. The allure is that it's an absolutely fantastic motor in a fun/light chassis and With engine prices dropping like they are, it's a pretty amazing package for the money. I think the price is about right on this car, it still needs some supporting modifications to be finished but what has been done is pretty well executed. If you're a solid wrench with a cool wife, you can do an s54 swap for ~$7500 or so. I agree with Simon, well bought and well sold
                  $7500 is a bit of a stretch. I guess it depends on how well maintained the car is to start with and what choices you make on the swap. If your car AND the S54 are already perfect maintenance-wise and you choose all the cheapest options (ZF trans, no rack swap, M50 pan, etc.) AND you get a good deal on the engine then you could probably pull it off.

I got my engine for $1500, trans for $150, E36 rack for $50, $300 headers, Arc subframe and pan etc. and when I tally it all up with all of the 'while I'm in there' maintenance stuff I'm still in like $8000 and I haven't bought any exhaust , wheel or brake stuff yet. I could easily spend more on higher end parts, lower mileage used parts, air conditioning, etc. Basically what I'm saying is that I've been quite budget conscious while still focusing on doing things right and it's costing me a lot more than I expected. The engine is the biggest up front cost, but it's the little stuff that really starts to add up if you keep track. I started a spreadsheet on mine and was pretty surprised to see how much I've spent.

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
                    I started a spreadsheet on mine and was pretty surprised to see how much I've spent.
                    I did a spreadsheet for my S50 project and promptly deleted it from existence so my wife could never find it... It was a shocking number.

Comment

2800CS on BaT

Dear gawd these are beautiful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5af4dc03464eb_152580637066e7dff9f98764da411H0968-X2-940x588.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	7196835

Bid for the chance to own a 1971 BMW 2800CS 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,748.

Comment

Yes, indeed. Really, everything bmw produced before 1991 has really strong looks. I hate the way the auto styling business went to hiding stuff like engines, bumpers, and the passenger compartment. All we get now are fake tailpipes and huge wheels.
                        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

These are pretty close to perfect. On my Top 5 list of all car designs, any era.

Comment

Soul

Comment

One of many cars I want... I have a few cars that I think would be wonderful GT cars and this is in the Top3
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

From what I've read, that era of 1602 / 2002 / E9 involved the ideas of Bertone, Hofmeister, Michelotti, and Georg Bertram.

The "Neue Klasse" sedans and the 2000CS were the origin for the design. You can see it coming together here...

Name:	bmw_2000_cs_coupe_side_view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	7196836

Other cool old BMWs I like, with some italian design or influence...

Name:	bmw_507_folder_cover.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	7196837

507 coupe by Michelotti (Michelotti Vignale) Limited production special

Name:	bmw_507_coupe_by_giovanni_michelotti_2.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7196838

Name:	bmw_michelotti_vignale.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	7196839

3200CS by Bertone - supposedly the first appearance of the "Hofmesister kink," although it appeared on Bertone designs earlier.

Name:	bmw_3200_cs-1962_rear-side_view.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	7196840

Comment

Working...
                                X