Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bid for the chance to own a Supercharged S52-Powered 1989 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #11,734.

Off to a great start!! I wonder if this will do better than the LS car
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That's a very nice and tastefully done car but I was a little disappointed in the dyno results. I expected more than 321whp out of an S52 with forced induction and water/methanol injection. The LS car isn't as nice and is a little low for my tastes, its shiny shift knob and the unpainted steering wheel spokes stick out like a sore thumb in an E30's understated interior, but of the two it has the drivetrain I would prefer. I'm guessing that the S52 car will do quite a bit better than the LS car since the purists will be happier with it, collectors (the people who pay big money for old cars on BaT) don't tend to like LS swaps.
      Last edited by varg; 08-13-2018, 01:28 PM.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Pfft, that ain't no 325is (no full OBC, no rear spoiler, no power sunroof).
        I'd deduct 5-10k for that reason alone!
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

A lot of half assed-ness on that blue thing. Of course, those are the only ones that get any positive attention from that shit hole.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
            A lot of half assed-ness on that blue thing. Of course, those are the only ones that get any positive attention from that shit hole.
            The S52 car? I must be missing something. I couldn't be bothered to read the whole description and all comments but from what I did read and see in the pics, it didn't look remotely half-assed.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              The S52 car? I must be missing something. I couldn't be bothered to read the whole description and all comments but from what I did read and see in the pics, it didn't look remotely half-assed.
              It's all stuff 99% of people would never notice. Little things like painted over hardware in the doors/jambs, hacked up kick panel to fit the boost controller, the meh reupholstered seats, etc. It's things like that, that would make me wonder what else they decided to cut corners on.

I could write a novel, but this says it all. They didn't even take the fucking beltline trim off to paint the car. See the Lemans blue 9mm plastic nut that was originally black, among the three screws that secure the door latch to the door.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'd have noticed that, if I bothered to look at all of the pictures. Not interested in buying it, so couldn't be bothered to scrutinize it that heavily.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  I'd have noticed that, if I bothered to look at all of the pictures. Not interested in buying it, so couldn't be bothered to scrutinize it that heavily.
                  The hate within the Ginger is strong...

Im pretty sure he didnt paint it and instead turned it into a Supercharged S52 powerhouse... running 205s... still we can scrutinize the car all we want but everyone here benefits when cars like this are getting bids over $10k and basic 325s are over $6k and still need timing belts

I am happy about it
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

I'm just saying. Neat car. Weak ass execution.

Comment

..I just wouldn't go supercharger without seriously considering turbo any more. the last few cars I've personally ran superchargers on (even with meth injection) were disappointing from a performance standpoint. So those dyno results seem about right.

That being said, a supercharger is a little bit easier to live with daily vs a poorly done turbo setup.

But I also would consider the LS swap if I wanted to make stupid, cheap power in an E30.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Having owned and DD'ed a supercharged S52 E30, I can tell you that they are a blast. The power does seem low though.

Agree with Austin though, lots of things appear to be skipped over. Doesn't bode well.

Does look nice from the pictures though!
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

who cares... it was a broznit car... it wouldve been scrapped otherwise
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            everyone here benefits when cars like this are getting bids over $10k and basic 325s are over $6k and still need timing belts
                            [emoji106]

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            who cares... it was a broznit car... it wouldve been scrapped otherwise
                            [emoji107]
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Why is it that the IX doesn't go for very much? They are more rare than an IS or I model.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                Why is it that the IX doesn't go for very much? They are more rare than an IS or I model.
                                Rare isn't always a good thing. What some consider an attribute, others consider a detriment. I'd say most people buying E30's today aren't looking for iX's, especially those interested in stancing and engine swaps which is more complicated to do on an iX.
                                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                                X