This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red MT2 car is mine.

Complete highway robbery but was my own doing as I had agreed to such a low reserve, just didn't think I'd get no action at all past the reserve.

Sour grapes and all for essentially giving away such an awesome car but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Soup View Post
      Red MT2 car is mine.

Complete highway robbery but was my own doing as I had agreed to such a low reserve, just didn't think I'd get no action at all past the reserve.

Sour grapes and all for essentially giving away such an awesome car but it is what it is.
      It was a great car. As unethical as it is what is the punishment for withholding the car from the bat buyer. I know a auction winner can not pay, are you obligated to sell the car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

There is no contract or agreement in place to police the actual transaction. BaT merely connects the two parties, collects their fee, and that's all they do so if one side renegs after the fact, there's really nothing you can do.

My lesson here is to not agree to a reserve I'm not comfortable with. And also, to always list the car privately first rather than rely on BaT to be the first initial public offering. Much less heartache that way.

Comment

Ugh, Im sorry for ya man. so tough... Its also why Ive never listed with them, they have always low-balled the reserve that Im comfortable with.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

There is no contract or agreement in place to police the actual transaction. BaT merely connects the two parties, collects their fee, and that's all they do so if one side renegs after the fact, there's really nothing you can do.

My lesson here is to not agree to a reserve I'm not comfortable with. And also, to always list the car privately first rather than rely on BaT to be the first initial public offering. Much less heartache that way.
            I'm very sorry for your situation. Your car is absolutely stunning, I even shared it on my personal FB page. I wonder if US buyers were somehow dettered from bidding because the importation process is one they didn't want to go through? I can speak from personal experience myself of importing an E30 myself out of Vancouver BC last year. It isn't a difficult process.

If I had more coin myself I would've bid but I have a baby due in 8 weeks and want to buy a house.

If it were me, I'd say screw it and keep your E30! Offer to help out with the buyers fees he had to pay BaT and call it a day. That thing is worth more than $12k to me...
            1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
            SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
            Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Thanks guys.

As much as I hate to let the E30 go, it isn't how I roll so I'll take my lumps and move on.

Certainly won't be listing anymore cars on BaT anytime soon however, and I know a ton of cars guys up here all got scared away soon as they saw/heard how mine fared.

The guys I was working with at BaT were adamant that it'll surpass reserve but obviously they really only care about a sale, selling the car below market doesn't matter to them so long as they'll get their buyers' fee.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                That made me LOL.

Yeah, that cage is a disaster. I cant see anyone of repute copping to building that.
                I dont know whats more dangerous the 1' between the A pillar and the A pillar bar, the kneecapping bar or the door bars.

Someone actually "paid" for that.
                I can't believe that car went for what it did, E30 m3 5 lug is the only good thing that car has going for it... It's really tough to figure out the BaT market
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

The 74 tii that sold last week for a ridiculously low reserve had the seller back out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                    It's really tough to figure out the BaT market
                    No kidding. I'm amazed the Bronzit car sold for within $5-6k of Soup's car, let alone less than $2k.

Comment

From the experiences here, and the ones I've read about on other platforms... I don't know why anyone lists with them. No protections for anyone. I guess it's the "gamble" mentality because some cars go for ridiculous money? And even if it does you have to hope the buyer goes through with the purchase?

Even Ebay sounds better.
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      -----------------------------------------
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

Pretty much what you outlined there.

Biggest problem I have seen with BAT is over saturation of similar cars. I get that they probably have hundreds or maybe even thousands of submissions, but they really should be just presenting the cream of the crop or the oddballs. Something unique. Instead, it just feels like a used car lot at times.

When was the last time a truly special E30 has popped up on there?

That iX touring maybe?

How can they say it’s all quality when they have something like 30 auctions a day closing.

It’s all about volume at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          they have something like 30 auctions a day closing.

It’s all about volume at this point.

It’s around 40/day now...
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thanks guys.

As much as I hate to let the E30 go, it isn't how I roll so I'll take my lumps and move on.

Certainly won't be listing anymore cars on BaT anytime soon however, and I know a ton of cars guys up here all got scared away soon as they saw/heard how mine fared.

The guys I was working with at BaT were adamant that it'll surpass reserve but obviously they really only care about a sale, selling the car below market doesn't matter to them so long as they'll get their buyers' fee.

Soup - you are an honorable person. The world would be a better place if everyone owned up to their mistakes instead of trying to avoid the consequences. Karma!

Cory
                            1992 325i Cabrio
                            1988 320i Touring
                            2000 M5
                            1977 530i
                            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                            BMWCCA
                            E30CCA

Comment

Ah yes, besides the reserve, I did get completely hosed on how many E30s were listed.

I asked a few times before listing whether they would stagger listings for similar cars and was told yes, yes they will for mine. Mine went up immediately and as you all saw, two other 325is' came up the next day. They told me that the other two were for different demographics - one being a caged swapped track car, while the other was a lot rougher example than mine (even though it was no reserve).

Still fuming about that.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                I'll be watching this one closely, as my '89 is nearly the same car with 40k more miles that I'll be submitting soon.
                                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X