This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
    Sold for $24k, higher than Austin's. We'll see if the buyer goes though with this one...
    Austin's didnt get the love that it deserved, was a much more completed thought, just much more finished, well rounded street car.

That white car is a cool build, and I do like it, but it feels like its got a bit of an identity crisis. It doesnt know if its a track star or a hard parker.

I thought Austin's car was a nicer package. Just the audience wasnt there when his was up.
    Jimmy P.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
    98 318Ti Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      crazy bidding today... the 87-IS went for $14k!
      That car was exactly all the same shit I posted about the late red one above.
      Thats a nice time capsule car. They are not going to keep popping up so if the guy was in the market for one, gotta seize that moment and buy it, especially if the color combo was one he liked.
      I dont think its a crazy number in today's environment.
      We are not going to be seeing those type of examples forever.
      Jimmy P.
      98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
        Thats a nice time capsule car. They are not going to keep popping up so if the guy was in the market for one, gotta seize that moment and buy it, especially if the color combo was one he liked.
        Agreed. I'm glad the delphin '87 began to attract a lot of bidding in the final minutes. I was looking at it thinking how could that alpine '88iS with horrible quality images bring 11k and this only bring 10K... then the real bidding began.
        1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
        SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
        Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

I agree with you on the gray one, it checked all the right boxes.
          Long term owner, that really took care of it.
          Original paint, original 5 speed car, nice colors that are somewhat uncommon.
          That combination of factors is getting very hard to find.

The red car with swapped transmission and a repaint is far more common.

The guy who came in second on the gray car was kicking himself it looked like.
          1991 318iC
          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
            Now its posted for 19k....would you say that is reasonable?
            Do "i" think,,, probably more than I would pay for that car, for $19K I think that opens many more doors, but its all relative.
            Whats each persons threshold of reasonable?

To me I though hey $14K was reasonable for that car with the color combo and the level of maintenence that was already done,,, to someone else with more money, $20K might be pocket change and if the car was one they wanted sure why not.

For so many years a nice "nice" E30 was $7500,,, just like for so many years a pretty nice E30M3 was $15K.
            I have resigned myself that those days are gone.
            $14k is the new $7500 in the E30 world
            Jimmy P.
            98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

there are worse investments...
              Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
              The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
              The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
              The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Adjusting for inflation, the BMW three series have always been $40,000 cars in today's money. Same as how a base Porsche 911 has always been $80,000. So when a late '80s Carrera cost $40,000 today, it's not surprising that an e30 BMW is $20,000.

For the longest time, quality German cars of that era had been chronically undervalued. Still lagging, are the Mercedes-Benz. If you like those, get one while you can.
                '91 325i

Comment

For so many years a nice "nice" E30 was $7500,,,I have resigned myself that those days are gone.
                  If that were true I'd just replace the dash in my 318i and sell it for 14k, but it's just not true, as there are plenty of great A- cars in the sub-8k range.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    If that were true I'd just replace the dash in my 318i and sell it for 14k, but it's just not true, as there are plenty of great A- cars in the sub-8k range.
                    Post links here please

Let me clarify,,,, 325is, 318is, or even basically coupes w/ manual transmissions.

I do agree that for a 318i, yep you are correct.
                    Jimmy P.
                    98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Post links here please
                      Those cars can be found in the CL thread, but not on BAT.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        Those cars can be found in the CL thread, but not on BAT.
                        Doesnt have to be BAT, CL, Ebay, hell the Rev classifieds.
                        I dont think any A manual coupes are selling around $7500 anymore.
                        If they are, they are a unicorn, just like a nice E30M3 @$15k
                        Jimmy P.
                        98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Doesnt have to be BAT, CL, Ebay, hell the Rev classifieds.
                          I dont think any A manual coupes are selling around $7500 anymore.
                          If they are, they are a unicorn, just like a nice E30M3 @$15k
                          I think it is easy for people to search and determine the "fair market price" of an M3 based on other ads, but it is rather more difficult for the non initiated to do the same for a more normal E30. As with any good deal it's a matter of vigilant searching and immediate action once you find it. Whereas, cars like the one we were discussing will continue to be available for those buyers who cannot be vigilant or swift.

This may also be greatly impacted by local market trends, and I tend to only track markets within 100-200 miles of home.

Comment

So I have to really ask about that 318is. It sold for around 12k on r3v this summer and then for 24k on BAT. I can see it has been cleaned up quite a bit and a center console was added. It doesn't look terribly different. Obviously one of 2 things happened here, which is it?
                            1. The BAT effect - well presented cars can be sold much much higher?
                            2. The car was improved 12k?

The way the damage from a wreck was presented differently in the two ads. In the r3v ad it sounded like the frame got bent and it had to be put on a rack to straighten the car out. On BAT it just sounded like there was some light body damage that was banged out. I'm unclear on what is accurate.
                            Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Bat prices are a joke. Its no longer a valid place to get a baseline because of either hype or the peanut gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                                So I have to really ask about that 318is. It sold for around 12k on r3v this summer and then for 24k on BAT. I can see it has been cleaned up quite a bit and a center console was added. It doesn't look terribly different. Obviously one of 2 things happened here, which is it?
                                1. The BAT effect - well presented cars can be sold much much higher?
                                2. The car was improved 12k?

The way the damage from a wreck was presented differently in the two ads. In the r3v ad it sounded like the frame got bent and it had to be put on a rack to straighten the car out. On BAT it just sounded like there was some light body damage that was banged out. I'm unclear on what is accurate.
                                Good point, it's worth further discussion. I thought the same about the difference in damage description between the two ads. The builder of the car is an aerospace engineer, so maybe an OCD, damage alarmist? Reseller may be a car flipper with a minimizer attitude towards damage? So maybe the truth is is the middle?

I do believe a well presented car on BaT will attract the deepest pockets. It's an effort well-rewarded. Not a joke, as mentioned above. I believe it's where the real money is. Inhabited by established collectors and moneyed guys looking for fun rides.

If your only market is this forum, then you're going to miss out. Wouldn't be expecting high rollers in this venue. No offense. Most of the people here are just young, can't help it.
                                Last edited by Nader393; 12-13-2018, 09:31 PM.
                                '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                                X