• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    which one is yours? Bronzit 89?
    Yep

Comment

Damn. These cars are starting to sell for way too high. Hopefully I can find a clean one for a reasonable price, but I fear those days are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
        Damn. These cars are starting to sell for way too high. Hopefully I can find a clean one for a reasonable price, but I fear those days are long gone.
        Buy one for $3000 that needs work. Put $5000-7000 into it. Sell for profit. People are buying these things for retarded prices now. Not hating... just the reality of it. I sold 2 of my 3 before the market went crazy. Only got half of what I could have gotten even a couple of years later. Just sold my vert though and got decent money for that. It is what it is. Being a car enthusiast is hip now... probably mostly due to social media.

That Japanese market mtech car has been sold (or attempted to sell) at least a half dozen times I feel like over the last year to year and a half.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

Theres enough E30s out there that a deal can still be had if you find one that needs work. The BaT cars are the "mint" cars
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I have more than 5-7k worth of parts I’m swapping over from the convertible I built. But I agree with your statement.

People just want crazy money if it’s a clean title and clean paint/interior.

I believe the right car is out there, it’s just that the light at the end of the tunnel just seems to be getting dimmer.

Comment

I have more than 5-7k worth of parts I’m swapping over from the convertible I built. But I agree with your statement.

People just want crazy money if it’s a clean title and clean paint/interior.

I believe the right car is out there, it’s just that the light at the end of the tunnel just seems to be getting dimmer.
              Yes it's getting ridiculous out there in the E30 game.

I thought I was crazy for dropping 5K on a beat to hell, but mechanically sound, 325is back at the end of 2017. I wanted a true 'is' so I paid a little more. This car has been a money pit ever since.

Now you see beat 325i's going for 5-6K.

Crazy times.
              90 Bronzit 325is
              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Can you wrench? My advice for a cheap-ish e30, buy a car with the cleanest paint possible. Quality body work costs a fortune and is almost impossible to do at home. Interior is easy to swap and can be done whenever.

I picked up my new DD for $800, promptly ordered ~$1k in parts, and replaced everything. Now I'm into my car about $2k hand have a solid fun daily.

Also, buying someone else's completed project is always cheaper than doing it yourself.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                  Can you wrench? My advice for a cheap-ish e30, buy a car with the cleanest paint possible. Quality body work costs a fortune and is almost impossible to do at home. Interior is easy to swap and can be done whenever.

I picked up my new DD for $800, promptly ordered ~$1k in parts, and replaced everything. Now I'm into my car about $2k hand have a solid fun daily.

Also, buying someone else's completed project is always cheaper than doing it yourself.
                  I don't want a cheap e30 lol. I just don't want to pay these ridiculous prices for a car from the 80's that probably was barely maintained it's entire life. People are asking $7k+ for a car with accident history, spotty paint, and non reversible mods with no maintenance history.

I just finished restoring a convertible (besides paint) to have to part it out. Body work is not impossible to do at home if you know what you're working with, however proper paint takes time and lots of cash.

Just because you got lucky and found a DD for $800 (good on you for that, solid find) and was able to make it solid with only 2k into it doesn't mean I will. Shocks and springs are almost $800 new, at least proper ones are.

I'm swapping over my built boosted m54 from my convertible, so the interior (can't use my convertibles custom one) paint and title are all I care about when looking for an e30. I have every suspension bit restored and zinc plated, including the gas tank, so yes "I can wrench"

Also with e30's, there is almost never a "completed project" unless you are talking concours restoration/Jordan level builds.

Other people's projects cause more headaches and require more money in the long run than starting with a clean, untouched car that may cost more upfront, trust me I know.

Thank you for the advice though.

Comment

I don't want a cheap e30 lol. I just don't want to pay these ridiculous prices for a car from the 80's
                    Well then I doubt you'll end up with anything unfortunately.

Clean examples are rare because they've been maintained, not daily driven, not crashed, and not overly modded. That's why they command a premium. That's what you're paying for and there's not really any way to get around that. They aren't making any more or getting any younger lol

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                      Well then I doubt you'll end up with anything unfortunately.

Clean examples are rare because they've been maintained, not daily driven, not crashed, and not overly modded. That's why they command a premium. That's what you're paying for and there's not really any way to get around that. They aren't making any more or getting any younger lol
                      I know, but there are a few deals still left out there. I’ll find something hopefully sooner rather than later.

I’m fine with paying a good amount of money as long as it’s a documented, clean car. a daily driver can still be well maintained and clean, most owners just don’t care about their daily driver as they would their garage queen.
                      Last edited by Jokester; 03-31-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Theres plenty of deals out there in the 2-4k range, but you have to be constantly looking and act quick when you find one
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Theres plenty of deals out there in the 2-4k range, but you have to be constantly looking and act quick when you find one
                          I’m looking at that coupe on the forum right now, if he can provide me accident history I might snag it

Comment

Ive told my story a few times here in other threads, but, I’ll say it again. There are good cars for decent prices still out there. I spent a few months scouring craigslist anywhere within a days drive around me and sure enough, my ‘89 popped up in Gainesville Florida. One owner, garaged at home and at work, local commuter car daily driven, no wrecks, all original, 200,000 miles, $4600. Ive had it for 18 months now. sent the guy an email, talked on the phone, and grabbed the cash and it was mine. Took me about 8 hours to get there and sign the title from when i saw the ad. It’s not perfect but its mine and at 49 years old with 2 kids about to enter college it will probably be my last car unless i find another one.

My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

^Good sedans are much easier to find. And usually a couple thousand cheaper too. There's a couple around me right now that are decent for "cheap."

You'll find something Jokester. Just keep at it.
                              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                              -----------------------------------------
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled
                              98 328i Sold
                              93 325i Sold

Comment

Great find for $4600. I just found one also thanks to the forum. I alas did not have any luck on craigslist. I will say a few I spotted that looked great got snatched up like i yours did at $4600.

Comment

Working...
                                X