Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I gotchu...

    1991 M3
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-m3-17/

    Simon
    Current Car:
    -2003 Mini Cooper
    -1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
    Previous Car Count : 23 ... and climbing...

    Make R3V Great Again -2020

    Comment


      Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

      I know the car. Lipstick on a pig as far as the "recent paintwork" goes. Meh.
      Autobahn Motorsport - Portland, Oregon - restoration + service
      @autobahnmotorsport
      '88 M5 | '89 330is

      Comment


        Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
        If the reserve hasn't been met at $12k I'll join the bandwagon that BAT has lost their minds.

        The winner of my 240Z did the same thing. Big bid on day 1, no other bids for the rest of the week.
        That's a tactic used in house auctions too - come in high on the opening bid & scare off the opposition before someone gets competitive about it :)
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

        Comment


          Originally posted by e30austin View Post
          I know the car. Lipstick on a pig as far as the "recent paintwork" goes. Meh.
          Thats a nice enough car,,, its not "great" its just a decently nice E30M3.
          I like that its a somewhat well preserved one owner car. No one stanced it, no flat brim mods, etc.
          The owner was probably a real E30M3 guy and took what appears to be pretty good care of it, but,,, I dont get why its missing its engine screening and one of the inside headlight plastics.
          Totally unmolested cars shouldnt be missing those things.

          What I "really" I dont get about that car is why people are fawning over the seller and the video.
          The video was pretty meh. Just a guy winding out an engine on city streets. Its not like the guy took the stret car and knocked out a 2:10 lap at Watkins Glen with it or something. That seller seems to have many fanbois for some reason.

          The sad thing is, that car right there was the prototypical $15K car back not 5-6 years ago. So sad.
          Jimmy P.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
          92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
          98 318Ti Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

          Comment


            Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
            Thats a nice enough car,,, its not "great" its just a decently nice E30M3.
            I like that its a somewhat well preserved one owner car. No one stanced it, no flat brim mods, etc.
            The owner was probably a real E30M3 guy and took what appears to be pretty good care of it, but,,, I dont get why its missing its engine screening and one of the inside headlight plastics.
            Totally unmolested cars shouldnt be missing those things.

            What I "really" I dont get about that car is why people are fawning over the seller and the video.
            The video was pretty meh. Just a guy winding out an engine on city streets. Its not like the guy took the stret car and knocked out a 2:10 lap at Watkins Glen with it or something. That seller seems to have many fanbois for some reason.

            The sad thing is, that car right there was the prototypical $15K car back not 5-6 years ago. So sad.

            I know a lot about the car that I've chosen not to say.

            Original owner was a nice older female doctor who daily drove the car during the nice months only. My lady worked in the office she worked for and would see the car regularly. At one point, she asked if it would ever be for sale, to which she replied "no, I'm going to give it to my grandson when he turns 16" (he was under the age of five at this stage). Clearly, that did not happen.

            A good friend of mine worked at an independent Euro/Asian shop for a while. According to him, the owner likes to hoard cars strictly for the sole intention of "flipping to double the initial purchase price". The nice lady who owned the M3 was a customer of his. She is not in good health, so she sold the car to him for not very much money (I won't reveal because it isn't my place, but it was a steal in today's world). The owner drove it straight home, put it in his garage, and until he drove it to the painter, he didn't drive it a single time (according to my friend). Never even registered it. I guess the shop owner decided to sell the car a few weeks ago and had some stuff done so he could get top dollar...

            The car had some rust issues in the cowl that were not repaired properly at all (read: bondo and kitty hair).
            RH fender was "repaired due to a mishap with a landscape truck"
            Poor touch ups done all over the car
            Wheel wells painted black
            When my friend inspected the car further, he found that the RH quarter panel has been replaced (poor paint work and prep, with peeling paint around the edge of the bottom of the window), along with the RH fender...yeah, mishap with a landscape truck...also quarter and fender were painted at different times and it shows

            I don't know why Avant Garde gets put on a pedestal because of some fancy pictures, but the people of bring a trailer are so goddamn stupid, they'll eat anything up, clearly.

            All that said, it is a presentable car, but there is a lot more going on there that meets the eye. The problem I have is the misrepresentation and putting lipstick on a pig to try to get top dollar.
            Autobahn Motorsport - Portland, Oregon - restoration + service
            @autobahnmotorsport
            '88 M5 | '89 330is

            Comment


              Originally posted by e30austin View Post
              The problem I have is the misrepresentation and putting lipstick on a pig to try to get top dollar.
              The collector market on BaT is like the craigslist scumbag market with better production value.
              @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (18psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
              [b u i l d]
              [Car of the month: April 2018]

              0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

              Comment


                Originally posted by varg View Post
                The collector market on BaT is like the craigslist scumbag market with better production value.
                Couldn’t have put it better myself. Nailed it.
                Autobahn Motorsport - Portland, Oregon - restoration + service
                @autobahnmotorsport
                '88 M5 | '89 330is

                Comment


                  Like it or not, extremely well presented. The backstory as presented here is eye opening though, and the lack of disclosure fundamentally dishonorable
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

                  HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

                  88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

                  OEM+ or bust!


                  reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

                  Comment


                    Absolutely W T F. I thought BaT was supposed to be bit better at catching this type of misrepresentation.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by varg View Post
                      The collector market on BaT is like the craigslist scumbag market with better production value.
                      LOL,, thats quote worthy
                      Jimmy P.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                      92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                      98 318Ti Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                        I know a lot about the car that I've chosen not to say.

                        Original owner was a nice older female doctor who daily drove the car during the nice months only. My lady worked in the office she worked for and would see the car regularly. At one point, she asked if it would ever be for sale, to which she replied "no, I'm going to give it to my grandson when he turns 16" (he was under the age of five at this stage). Clearly, that did not happen.

                        A good friend of mine worked at an independent Euro/Asian shop for a while. According to him, the owner likes to hoard cars strictly for the sole intention of "flipping to double the initial purchase price". The nice lady who owned the M3 was a customer of his. She is not in good health, so she sold the car to him for not very much money (I won't reveal because it isn't my place, but it was a steal in today's world). The owner drove it straight home, put it in his garage, and until he drove it to the painter, he didn't drive it a single time (according to my friend). Never even registered it. I guess the shop owner decided to sell the car a few weeks ago and had some stuff done so he could get top dollar...

                        The car had some rust issues in the cowl that were not repaired properly at all (read: bondo and kitty hair).
                        RH fender was "repaired due to a mishap with a landscape truck"
                        Poor touch ups done all over the car
                        Wheel wells painted black
                        When my friend inspected the car further, he found that the RH quarter panel has been replaced (poor paint work and prep, with peeling paint around the edge of the bottom of the window), along with the RH fender...yeah, mishap with a landscape truck...also quarter and fender were painted at different times and it shows

                        I don't know why Avant Garde gets put on a pedestal because of some fancy pictures, but the people of bring a trailer are so goddamn stupid, they'll eat anything up, clearly.

                        All that said, it is a presentable car, but there is a lot more going on there that meets the eye. The problem I have is the misrepresentation and putting lipstick on a pig to try to get top dollar.
                        Great stuff.
                        Maybe it wouldn't have been a $15k car back in the day. Especially with the cowl rust.
                        Oddly enough there was also a lady in my town, she daily drove an Alpine white E30M3 forever, like forever. I used to see that car for years. Older blond lady. I never caught up to her to get her story but I had people say she worked at a law office.
                        I was told she just loved the car. Have not seen it in a little while. I still wonder what happened to it.
                        Jimmy P.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                        98 318Ti Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                          Great stuff.
                          Maybe it wouldn't have been a $15k car back in the day. Especially with the cowl rust.
                          Oddly enough there was also a lady in my town, she daily drove an Alpine white E30M3 forever, like forever. I used to see that car for years. Older blond lady. I never caught up to her to get her story but I had people say she worked at a law office.
                          I was told she just loved the car. Have not seen it in a little while. I still wonder what happened to it.
                          For sure. I would have happily bought Gloria’s car, had i known it were for sale, but didn’t know. Just bums me out that the person who bought it, did not do it any justice at all :/
                          Autobahn Motorsport - Portland, Oregon - restoration + service
                          @autobahnmotorsport
                          '88 M5 | '89 330is

                          Comment


                            Fucking terrible. I bet she would have gotten a better deal also.

                            Comment


                              Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

                              ...and that post got flagged as non constructive.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
                              2006 BMW X3
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

                              Comment


                                Back up from what I can see now.
                                Autobahn Motorsport - Portland, Oregon - restoration + service
                                @autobahnmotorsport
                                '88 M5 | '89 330is

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X