This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
    Alas, I see the available sources for affordable e30's evaporating. Although that hardtop engine swap vert sold for $6200 on Monday and that was a steal. So deals do exist,

It was bound to happen.

Saw it first generation Chevy II/Nova’s and other muscle cars, and now you’re seeing it with everything from 80’s (E30’s, Fox body mustangs..etc).

Just be lucky that the reason you’re not able to find the deals is due to raising values based on them becoming collectibles; most mundane muscle cars saw the cheap cars disappear because scores got wrecked while street racing/drag racing or just left in the back yard to rust away. That is where some of this internet auction culture has helped - everyone has become a Wayne, keeping an eye out for that next barn find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Alas, I see the available sources for affordable e30's evaporating. Although that hardtop engine swap vert sold for $6200 on Monday and that was a steal. So deals do exist,
      there you go, a perfect candidate for fun:
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        there you go, a perfect candidate for fun:
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...10166&page=435

All of a sudden I'm seeing swapped cars exceed $20k. It feels like values jumped from 12k to 20k+. Pretty wild.
        Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Agreed, like over night on these cars.

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
            All of a sudden I'm seeing swapped cars exceed $20k. It feels like values jumped from 12k to 20k+. Pretty wild.
            Agreed, like over night on these cars.
            Then this happens.
            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Meh. It’s an M50 swap. That’s about the going rate for them any more. It’s one of the few swaps that can now hurt the value of the car.. well that or a small block Ford.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                Meh. It’s an M50 swap. That’s about the going rate for them any more. It’s one of the few swaps that can now hurt the value of the car.. well that or a small block Ford.

Ya...unless you are doing an M50 to turbo it or something. What's the point of the effort? All that work and didn't pay a few more bucks to put in an s50.
                Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Agreed the car looked in good condition I bet it would have pulled more with an M20.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by staszek View Post
                    agreed the car looked in good condition i bet it would have pulled more with an m20.
                    +1
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Probably would have, but that's a clean car for the money..
                      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                      Q
                      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Really makes me rethink removing the nicely done M50/ZF from my 318is and stuff another M42 in...
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                          Really makes me rethink removing the nicely done M50/ZF from my 318is and stuff another M42 in...
                          Given the prices 318is cars are going for these days that might not be a bad idea...
                          Steve • Toronto
                          1991 318is • Brillantrot
                          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                            Given the prices 318is cars are going for these days that might not be a bad idea...
                            This is true. The car is not perfect and is higher miles, but it definitely seems like the way to go. Hmmm.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

At least the SBF can make the car more fun to drive without killing the car's balance if you mind the weight and toss the iron heads where they belong. If you put a stock mustang/truck 302 in there all bets are off :down: because stock the motor is absolutely crap.

I often wonder why anyone ever bothers with M50 swaps, it's a lot of work for added weight and barely any more power.

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                              M50 swaps are solidly 'meh' but imo unless you are regularly hitting tight downhills you're going to hate driving an M42 powered E30. NA 4 cylinder cars can be fun with revs or light weight, but the M42 doesn't rev (falls flat just after 6k) and the 318is isn't light in 4 cylinder world.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

Originally posted by varg View Post
                                but the M42 doesn't rev (falls flat just after 6k) and the 318is isn't light in 4 cylinder world.

Originally posted by BAT community;
                                ...but baby M3!?!?

Last edited by djjerme; 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM.
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X