X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also this one slipped through somehow and closes tomorrow

1989 325i Convertible
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-65/[/QUOTE]

Looks like a 1988 with the aluminum bumpers pushed in, the vin # shows 8/88 on realoem.com
    Pulled from auction...

Comment

WTF, its withdrawn now haha
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

wow, that wagon is retarded fast... holy bols
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I wish there was a 1/4mi time slip for it.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            I wish there was a 1/4mi time slip for it.
            Me too! Similar sedans I have seen with that particular tune are capable of 11's. A stock turbo car with a good tune will run mid 12s all day, with mid to low 12s on slicks. Meth and even nitrous would help that effort. Brad is a very meticulous person and the car is still not at it limits in terms of making more power.
            1991 318is
            2004 330ci
            2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
              Me too! Similar sedans I have seen with that particular tune are capable of 11's. A stock turbo car with a good tune will run mid 12s all day, with mid to low 12s on slicks. Meth and even nitrous would help that effort. Brad is a very meticulous person and the car is still not at it limits in terms of making more power.
              Is this what causes all the premature turbo failures? Or is it some other factors?

Seems like they changing turbos on these late model BMW's are as common as timing belts on an M20
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It's not even that - my buddies turbo on the 1M died after the first track day in it. He had to warranty it out, but said he sees it all the time. And his 1M was bone stock.. It's just these motors are so stressed from the factory, it's not hard to find the limit on the stock setup. I think before he sold the car two years ago, he had warrantied the turbo at least one more time.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

In order to get those super broad torque delivery and minimal lag you get with modern twin turbo engines you have to heavily optimize the setup, using the smallest possible turbo for the given mass flow goal requirement while staying within a good efficiency range. Nobody actually instruments the turbos on these aftermarket tunes, they're probably spinning them past maximum rated shaft rpm. As for stock cars killing turbos, there are a lot of reasons a turbo can fail when you're pushing it hard. Who knows?

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                    It's not even that - my buddies turbo on the 1M died after the first track day in it. He had to warranty it out, but said he sees it all the time. And his 1M was bone stock.. It's just these motors are so stressed from the factory, it's not hard to find the limit on the stock setup. I think before he sold the car two years ago, he had warrantied the turbo at least one more time.
                    That was a N54 after all, they weren't really suited to sustain the stress those cars see. That said I was very surprised when I learned for ECU tuned F8X track taxis that the turbos where a wear item at around 40K Kilometers.
                    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

The turbos have problems with the internal waste gate flaps coming off, usually the reason they are changed - they rattle something fierce before completely failing.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        The turbos have problems with the internal waste gate flaps coming off, usually the reason they are changed - they rattle something fierce before completely failing.
                        That's stupid. How did they manage to screw that up? Even cheap chinese aftermarket wastegate housings last with no issues. The mitsubishi turbos with angled turbine exits that they put on Volvos are the most similar design to an N54's turbine housing that I'm familiar with, I have never heard of any of those failing.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

lower quality components would be my guess.
                          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                            Is this what causes all the premature turbo failures? Or is it some other factors?

Seems like they changing turbos on these late model BMW's are as common as timing belts on an M20
                            Maybe on the gassers. M57 stock turbos are stout and failures are rare. I have 140K on mine pushing 36psi and drive it like it stollen. Hybrids, which this wagon has, are even better, with upgraded internals.
                            1991 318is
                            2004 330ci
                            2011 335d

Comment

1991 318i Sedan
                              Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1991 BMW 318i 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #21,565.

Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                1991 318i Sedan
                                Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1991 BMW 318i 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #21,565.

I really like this even though it's a sedan. I would daily the crap out of it.

Wonder where it's going to end up at.
                                90 Bronzit 325is
                                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X