Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dig California’s efforts to curb pollution but the whole process for a classic car seems a bit over the top. They should just run an emissions test and be done with it...

In Texas they just look under there to see if there is anything that resembles a cat and you’re good to go.
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Yea at the end of the day, if we're so gung-ho over our clean air, as long as it comes out the tailpipe and its clean then let it be... but sadly theres lots of money with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is a big money maker and money makes the world go 'round. C.R.E.A.M.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Man that took off at the end. 23k seems like a fair deal on both sides. Really well built and it will leave a little room for personalization in the paint and so forth.
        Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

• R3Z3N
          R3Z3N commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, it really did. I was with a Cx, and my phone went DING DING DING....just had to breath and remember my job pays bills, the car is still a loss leader. It sold for exactly what I was going to ask on the forums/CL should it not have sold on BaT.

I had one gentleman call me and state "Look Justin, we both know it won't hit reserve, so call me after the auction." We still chatted, I don't want to burn a bridge. Alas I am sure he is surprised .

As to the CARB/BAR? Seriously, just make a law that it has to emit x or less emissions. However the point is, if your car is "hacked" as the MSS54/HP is, then one can pass one moment, then run more aggressive tune the next and work around the emissions, or as I did turn some off. The law in this case IMO is written decently smartly, even if my opinion would be to be more lax and just set a tailpipe/dyno output max.

1987 325iS
        Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1987 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #23,598.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1987_bmw_325is.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	9874355
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Love those Early 'is' cars. The tucked bumpers look odd though...

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Yea at the end of the day, if we're so gung-ho over our clean air, as long as it comes out the tailpipe and its clean then let it be... but sadly theres lots of money with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is a big money maker and money makes the world go 'round. C.R.E.A.M.
          True. The nutso visual inspections and CARB approval stuff is what separates CA's emissions testing from meaningful pollution mitigation policy as a moneygrubbing politician's scam. If the legislation was truly about pollution it wouldn't matter one iota what's under the hood and what number or sticker or lack thereof is on some component as long as it passes the exhaust gas analysis test and has intact evap stuff.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1991_bmw_318is_.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	9874500
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Simon, I don't see the red one above on BaT. 318is?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                Simon, I don't see the red one above on BaT. 318is?

318is w/78k Miles.

Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 318is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #23,623.
                1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                  Thanks! Looks like they didn't tag it as an E30 like they do the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Thanks! Looks like they didn't tag it as an E30 like they do the rest.
                    Slicktop too!
                    1991 318is
                    2004 330ci
                    2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post

Slicktop too!
                      Meh, I’d rather have a sunroof on a street car tbh.

Comment

Yah, I agree. I like having the sunroof cracked when I drive. Especially in traffic, it’s nice to have the windows up but the sunroof tilted. And even in a track or racecar, the lack of sunroof isn’t costing you time. In a pure racecar, it makes zero difference since it gets removed anyways.. But hey, BAT loves the legend of slicktop 318is’ and baby M3. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Tisoc View Post

Meh, I’d rather have a sunroof on a street car tbh.
                          Yeah...I don't disagree and likewise prefer a sunroof...but there's no debating there is a crowd out there that will view it as "rare" because of the lack of the sunroof.
                          1991 318is
                          2004 330ci
                          2011 335d

Comment

I don't give a rat's ass about how rare it is, I have an E30 because it's fun to drive not so that I can stare at it in my garage and track its appreciation like the BaT crowd, but I'll have a slicktop over a sunroof any day. No question. Sunroofs leak and rust and are a bitch to repair/replace. Oh yours isn't rusting now? It will. Doesn't leak now? It will some day when you least want it to. And not just the sunroof panel itself, the roof around it will rust too, from the inside out. Have fun dropping the headliner to fix that. I hate my sunroof, if it weren't for that infernal thing and the rust it caused in my roof the only rust on my car would be the couple of small spots in the floor which are easy to fix. When I restore the car I'll remove the cassette and do an honest-to-goodness slicktop conversion.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              I don't give a rat's ass about how rare it is, I have an E30 because it's fun to drive not so that I can stare at it in my garage and track its appreciation like the BaT crowd, but I'll have a slicktop over a sunroof any day. No question. Sunroofs leak and rust and are a bitch to repair/replace. Oh yours isn't rusting now? It will. Doesn't leak now? It will some day when you least want it to. And not just the sunroof panel itself, the roof around it will rust too, from the inside out. Have fun dropping the headliner to fix that. I hate my sunroof, if it weren't for that infernal thing and the rust it caused in my roof the only rust on my car would be the couple of small spots in the floor which are easy to fix. When I restore the car I'll remove the cassette and do an honest-to-goodness slicktop conversion.
                              You and I both...that's exactly why I am in the midst of taking a completely stock 318is and s52 swapping it...to make it mine. But the people that care about it are out there and will value it more than what we would expect to be fair.
                              1991 318is
                              2004 330ci
                              2011 335d

Comment

Working...
                              X