Announcement

Collapse

POST YOUR THREAD IN THE CORRECT FORUM

The General Discussion forum is NOT a catch-all.

Please post your topic in the correct subforum.

Technical questions do not belong in General Discussion, neither do body kit or wheel fitment questions. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary.

This helps keep R3VLimited nice and organized so others can more easily find what they are looking for.

Thank you,
R3V Staff
See more
See less

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    I don't follow BAT that closely...what's the story?
    http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...90e-2-3-16-10/

    You have to suffer through the 100+ comments, but basically, car is being advertised as something it's not. Maybe a tribute or something, but it's not a clone of the Carlsson Racecars. It's been picked apart pretty thoroughly and the seller didn't reply or offer any kind of feedback during most of the run. Judging from what it's been offered for at other Auctions, it's going to be a RNM.


    I did just notice he finally replied late last night.
    1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
    2006 BMW X3
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

    Comment


      Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      I'm going to call bullsh*t on that statement.

      The whole name of the site is Bring A Trailer - implying that these could be anything from projects (or rusty Porsche on Plywood wheels) to running and driving.

      How is this special:

      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-320i-3/

      And what about this rusty gem:

      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-bmw-2002-27/

      ...and how many of recent auctions are RNM. It may have been just a form letter, but it seemed like a blow off to me.

      #bronzitCarsMatter.

      Either way, like you said, there are plenty of other venues to sell in, and I have a few dealer friends who've had plenty of success in those ways. I guess we had just been hoping for a better experience with BAT for a first time out..


      They did start that way. Seems like they have drifted to above average cars with some projects thrown in.

      Their sold average is still quite high.

      Regardless, it is what it is. I'm still a BAT fan. It certainly isn't perfect. I think they are experiencing some serious growing pains that result in the treatment you received.
      1991 318iC
      1989 325i Field Rescue

      Comment


        Originally posted by djjerme View Post
        Ugh, seriously.. They are just coming out of the woodwork now.
        Yeah, because they made 40,000k 318is cars. Tons of them out there.

        Did you know BMW only made ~4,000 318 convertibles?
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.


        Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

        Comment


          Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
          Yeah, because they made 40,000k 318is cars. Tons of them out there.

          Did you know BMW only made ~4,000 318 convertibles?
          You're going to make me feel bad for swapping mine.
          1991 318iC
          1989 325i Field Rescue

          Comment


            I had some fun with this site the other day:

            https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

            Obviously it's just the UK and doesn't take in to account vehicles that are off the road and not in regular driving service/registration, but it's cool to see how many of each E30 model is still in the system.
            1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
            2006 BMW X3
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

            Comment


              Oh hey look another red M3!

              At least you have the option of putting the S14 back in at some point. Should be interesting to see where it ends up.
              1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
              2006 BMW X3
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

              Comment


                If I had the budget I would be all over this one.

                Euro S50 swapped 20 years ago. Original S14 and trans with a reported 23k miles.

                Awesome.
                1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

                Comment


                  I'm bidding on the S50 M3 and I'm not sure how much more it is worth. I have no one in person that I know that would understand even half of this, so here are my thoughts to all you r3v peeps:

                  Since there are no maintenance records and the swap was done in the 90s, it seems a little rough for my standards mechanically and looks to need a decent amount of sorting to make me comfortable with the reliability. I understand the original owner was the proprietor of a BMW repair shop but it still has me thinking...

                  I cannot find a milage of the S50 or the ZF in the description. The harness cover has a screw through the top of it and is pushed over to the right of the car too much. I'm concerned about what the wiring looks like under there and how tight the wiring is. It might just need to get the harness rebuilt. Afterall, it was swapped in the 90s, decades before any products like custom harnesses, reinforced front subframes, 24v engine mounts, etc were made available for a 24v swap. I feel that's going to lead to a bunch of, now available, 24v swap parts getting installed for better fitment/finished, drivability and reliability. That isn't a bad thing but for a car that will likely go for 30k+ and an engine that is rare out here (North America), it sounds like a large investment. There aren't any exhaust heat shields and in one of the undercarriage pictures, it looks like one of the flex disk bolts is starting to get rounded. Hopefully that won't be a problem to remove. Also, it has the original E30 M3 exhaust which will all need to be replaced, I feel like that isn't benefitting the S50B32 although, I do not know the diameter of the exhaust on the S14.

                  I don't know about seals either, minus the valve cover. I'm sure they're getting pretty old. In particular I wonder how the front crankshaft seal, rear main seal, clutch and transmission components are...

                  Overall, it's still a nice car and if the appearance of it is giving off any hints, it might have been very well taken care of mechanically. I just have to nitpick when I'm looking at a car to purchase, I'm sure most will understand.
                  Last edited by AllydNYC; 03-23-2017, 06:09 PM.
                  E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain


                  An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

                  Comment


                    Confused on the description. States engine swap in early 1990s... but e36 wasn't even out yet?? Did they mean early 2000s?

                    Comment


                      IMO it is a very desirable swap.
                      I would plan to go through the wiring, mounts, cooling, ps, ac etc.
                      For me that would be a fun way to get to know the car. Even if you had to rebuild all those systems your only looking at a couple grand.
                      Figure high at $5k in work to sort it 100%.

                      Assuming no wrecks, original paint, panels etc. I think it is worth $35k without the S14 and trans. If those are worth $10k-$15k you are at $50k or so.

                      Ultimately the car is worth more with the original engine/trans installed. What would it be worth in original condition $50-$55k? Then you have the S50 and trans to sell. What are they worth? I have no idea. The US stuff would be $3k or so. The Euro stuff has to be worth more.

                      IDK anything under $50k seems like it would be a deal.
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

                      Comment


                        Check the M registry for history and the Googles. If the history is fairly clean, 30k-40k is not a bad deal.

                        The fact the S14 comes with it puts it above many swaps I've seen. Often the original motor is long gone or was sold to help fund the swap.

                        That could also increase the bidding too, because you'll have people who want it as an S50 swapped M3, and those that want a numbers matching M3, witch this still technically is with the included S14.

                        Should be an interesting finish


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
                        2006 BMW X3
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
                          I'm bidding on the S50 M3 and I'm not sure how much more it is worth. I have no one in person that I know that would understand even half of this, so here are my thoughts to all you r3v peeps:

                          Since there are no maintenance records and the swap was done in the 90s, it seems a little rough for my standards mechanically and looks to need a decent amount of sorting to make me comfortable with the reliability. I understand the original owner was the proprietor of a BMW repair shop but it still has me thinking...

                          I cannot find a milage of the S50 or the ZF in the description. The harness cover has a screw through the top of it and is pushed over to the right of the car too much. I'm concerned about what the wiring looks like under there and how tight the wiring is. It might just need to get the harness rebuilt. Afterall, it was swapped in the 90s, decades before any products like custom harnesses, reinforced front subframes, 24v engine mounts, etc were made available for a 24v swap. I feel that's going to lead to a bunch of, now available, 24v swap parts getting installed for better fitment/finished, drivability and reliability. That isn't a bad thing but for a car that will likely go for 30k+ and an engine that is rare out here (North America), it sounds like a large investment. There aren't any exhaust heat shields and in one of the undercarriage pictures, it looks like one of the flex disk bolts is starting to get rounded. Hopefully that won't be a problem to remove. Also, it has the original E30 M3 exhaust which will all need to be replaced, I feel like that isn't benefitting the S50B32 although, I do not know the diameter of the exhaust on the S14.

                          I don't know about seals either, minus the valve cover. I'm sure they're getting pretty old. In particular I wonder how the front crankshaft seal, rear main seal, clutch and transmission components are...

                          Overall, it's still a nice car and if the appearance of it is giving off any hints, it might have been very well taken care of mechanically. I just have to nitpick when I'm looking at a car to purchase, I'm sure most will understand.

                          are you serious? judging by what you wrote here, there is a pretty good chance you are way too anal for e30's. i call dibs on the next batch of diamonds that fall out of your buttcrack the next time you drop a deuce.

                          perhaps a new lexus is in your future.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

                          88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                            IMO it is a very desirable swap.
                            I would plan to go through the wiring, mounts, cooling, ps, ac etc.
                            For me that would be a fun way to get to know the car. Even if you had to rebuild all those systems your only looking at a couple grand.
                            Figure high at $5k in work to sort it 100%.

                            Assuming no wrecks, original paint, panels etc. I think it is worth $35k without the S14 and trans. If those are worth $10k-$15k you are at $50k or so.

                            Ultimately the car is worth more with the original engine/trans installed. What would it be worth in original condition $50-$55k? Then you have the S50 and trans to sell. What are they worth? I have no idea. The US stuff would be $3k or so. The Euro stuff has to be worth more.

                            IDK anything under $50k seems like it would be a deal.
                            I was thinking similar thoughts. 5k is what I thought it would take to get it in top shape with me doing all the work.


                            Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            are you serious? judging by what you wrote here, there is a pretty good chance you are way too anal for e30's. i call dibs on the next batch of diamonds that fall out of your buttcrack the next time you drop a deuce.

                            perhaps a new lexus is in your future.
                            Yeah, I'm serious. Maybe I am way too anal for E30s but if my current E30 swap in a roughy bodied car is anything, it might not be a bad thing. I'm throwing thoughts out there on r3v, a website with vast E30 knowledge. Normally, this is something you would talk to a friend about but everyone I associate with knows squat about car mechanics which means I if I need advice, I have to go to a website. It looks like my positive thoughts that I didn't express in my previous post, line up with others. This is something worth bidding good money on.

                            You're in luck for my next dank duece, the Squatty Potty has them coming out silky smooth.
                            Last edited by AllydNYC; 03-23-2017, 10:17 PM.
                            E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain


                            An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

                            Comment


                              The swapped car with original engine is an interesting situation.

                              Personally, I think it's a package that's not worth the sum of its parts. Yeah, an S14 engine + trans is worth $10k. And yeah, a euro S50 is worth +/-5k (or whatever the current number is, I'm no expert. And a clean E30 M3 is worth xxx.

                              But if the plan is to get this car "at a deal" and put the S14 back in, you are looking at a lot of work for what amounts to an M3 that has been messed with. Snip snap, snip snap. And to spend the few grand to swap things back, your s50 profit melts away and you are left with a fucked with E30 M3 that is worth less due to questionable history.

                              And how do we know the S14 is in good shape? Was it prepped for long term storage and stored properly? If it was just pulled and drained and dropped in the corner of a garage, expect some nice cancer in the cylinder walls due to rust. I once bought a "trust me it's good" motor and I ended up trashing the block - the S14 is a fickle lady, I would expect to do a rebuild on the motor that comes with this car, regardless of its low mileage.


                              AllydNYC - if you want a swapped M3, this might be the car for you. But if you want an original S14 M3, I would recommend you buy any number of the $30k driver-quality cars now available and slowly improve its condition over time. I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a bit of a glut in the E30 M3 market as people attempt to cash in on the valuation increases with their "average" quality cars.
                              '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

                              Comment


                                Buy the M3.
                                swap the S14 into a 2002.
                                sell the car that's less fun
                                Win
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                                Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
                                Originally posted by Melon
                                Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X