Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. That bodes well for my buddies touring - can't complain.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

e30 prices are going up up up

Comment

Hold onto your prime examples, than get too attached to sell. It's about the love of the chassis. I think it's awesome!
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

So when did BAT gain popularity? I bought my last e30, a 1991 325i sedan, in 2014. I got it for 1.6k and it was in better condition than some of the examples I see now going for 4k. I'm going to check out a 325i that's posted for 3.5k soon and I think it's underpriced now even though it looks like it may be in equal or even slightly worse than the sedan I bought. I live in San Diego and Craiglist was flooded with decent e30s at reasonable prices when I bought my sedan, I'm now subscribed to a half dozen classified websites and Its become a waiting game for a decent late model E30 to pop up. And when they do they are much more expensive then I remember. I honestly think this is a good thing, regardless of my situation, but I hope it isn't a bubble that will eventually pop and screw all the new E30 owners.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Musij View Post
            So when did BAT gain popularity? I bought my last e30, a 1991 325i sedan, in 2014. I got it for 1.6k and it was in better condition than some of the examples I see now going for 4k. I'm going to check out a 325i that's posted for 3.5k soon and I think it's underpriced now even though it looks like it may be in equal or even slightly worse than the sedan I bought. I live in San Diego and Craiglist was flooded with decent e30s at reasonable prices when I bought my sedan, I'm now subscribed to a half dozen classified websites and Its become a waiting game for a decent late model E30 to pop up. And when they do they are much more expensive then I remember. I honestly think this is a good thing, regardless of my situation, but I hope it isn't a bubble that will eventually pop and screw all the new E30 owners.

I would say since early to mid 2016 is when BAT started really gaining momentum. A lot of people are already over it because its turned into people just ripping cars apart in the comments section, and if your the seller and don't reply instantly everyone starts claiming its a scam sale.

That being said, I love drooling over everything that posted!
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

Actually, it's since they moved from being a aggregate site for other car selling sites, to being an auction site. If you look at the older listings prior to BAT auction coming online, it was a better mix of knowledgeable commenting, drive by criticizing and stories.

That was what made it fun, they had no real horse in the race and cars were presented as listed, warts and all.

Now, it's just an e trade site that is only concerned with closing auctions. The higher the final price, the more they make, so it's in their interest to help create bubbles and encourage car flipping.

I've gone back to reading sites like German Cars For Sale blog and such so I can avoid the BAT showroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

BaT definitely jumped the shark, but now it's a legit business making $100 + 5% per auction sale, and their only cost is sifting through submissions and writing up a blurb that probably takes an hour or two. They have no legal obligation to anyone, and they do not vet the buyers, sellers, or cars in any way.

Pretty brilliant, really. Wish I'd thought of it myself. I still check it most days and participate in interesting cars I'm familiar with.

A clean E30 will appreciate forever from now on. 2014 prices are just that-2014 prices that we'll never see again. Once most people commute via driverless cars, nobody will have any interest in 21st century automobiles. Drivers will want the simple classics that drive well, can be maintained, and don't have a lot of electronic bullshit.

Comment

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

I'm not sure what the problem is. There's still knowledgeable people commenting on cars and there's obviously dumbasses out there because it's the internet. However it's help to command higher prices on E30s and it benefits everyone here.

The deals are still out there because the whole world doesn't see this thread or watch BaT and ask stupid prices. I'd rather buy a car from BaT than eBay and before that was basically the only other option for auctioning your 318is
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    I'm not sure what the problem is. There's still knowledgeable people commenting on cars and there's obviously dumbasses out there because it's the internet. However it's help to command higher prices on E30s and it benefits everyone here.

The deals are still out there because the whole world doesn't see this thread or watch BaT and ask stupid prices. I'd rather buy a car from BaT than eBay and before that was basically the only other option for auctioning your 318is
                    I agree with you, i don't think it is a problem.

I honestly think this is a good thing, regardless of my situation, but I hope it isn't a bubble that will eventually pop and screw all the new E30 owners.
                    That's my only concern like i mentioned above.

Comment

It's not a bubble, it's just maybe a more realization that no one is going to be making these kind of cars ever again..

I saw the same thing with muscle cars and I'm sure the same thing happened before with cars like model T's.. etc.

Don't forget, For a long time the Porsche 356's were largely overlooked and thought of as cheap, slow little cars for tossing around and modding by teens and twenty something hot rodders. Now, piles of rust and a vin tag fetch 50k.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        It's not a bubble, it's just maybe a more realization that no one is going to be making these kind of cars ever again..

I saw the same thing with muscle cars and I'm sure the same thing happened before with cars like model T's.. etc.

Don't forget, For a long time the Porsche 356's were largely overlooked and thought of as cheap, slow little cars for tossing around and modding by teens and twenty something hot rodders. Now, piles of rust and a vin tag fetch 50k.

Good points. Cant argue that.

Comment

1985 BMW Baur 323i....only at $1,700

Comment

Sub'd

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Wow M3 didn't sell
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Not E30 content, but an amazing 2002 resto mod. It is interesting to watch the 2002 market as well. Its a good indicator of what will happen to E30 values over the next 10 years or so. Much like E30 10-15 years ago you could get a decent car for 5-10K. Now cars needing major work are going for 15-20K.

However, this thing is not your typical 2002 and hit $66K first day. It will be interesting to see where this ends up. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-11/
                                1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                                1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                                September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                                Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X