• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
    k series is around the 400lb mark

Engine alone? That sounds high!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
      Engine alone? That sounds high!

lol whoops I think my quick search gave me with trans too, should be closer to 300lbs. I'll update. I'm so excited for this swap I'd still take it if it was 400lbs haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
        I found a few threads on this related subject but long story short, which is the lightest engine swap for an 1984 318i?

Seriously, from what I read today....N52?

The M30 adds 40lbs? Obviously with a different transmission, yet more weigh is added.

Is the M52 really lighter than an S52 enough so that the M52 swap is a bit more desirable?

How does the K24 compare by comparison in terms of weight to the M30, N52, and M52?

I am sure this has been discussed, so if someone has a link, please share.

All I found was this:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=233682
        I weighed mine when I got it, no alternator or starter, 273.6lbs. Say 300ish with the accessories, or 100lbs less than an m20.

I'm aiming to have it weigh exactly the same as my m10/g240 combo all said and done.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
          I weighed mine when I got it, no alternator or starter, 273.6lbs. Say 300ish with the accessories, or 100lbs less than an m20.

I'm aiming to have it weigh exactly the same as my m10/g240 combo all said and done.

I feel like this is totally reasonable, as it has an aluminum block. I'm messing with an M42 right now, and that's already much lighter than an M20, but I don't know the weight difference between an M10 and M42 🧐

Trans weight is less significant, as it's so far back. Another key factor is mounting location for the engine. Could also easily ditch power steering for a Z4 "manual" rack to save some more lbs.

Comment

I've been weighing transmissions as I come across them as well, because even though they're in the best place to have weight, they still have a significant amount of mass to them.

So far I have:
            Getrag 250 - 65lbs
            e36 ZF - 82lbs
            e46 ZF 6 speed - 97lbs
            e46 Getrag 420 - 102lbs

I'm using the ZF 6 speed from the ZHP for my swap. You could save another 20ish pounds staying with the 260.

This thread is awesome for comparing engine weights, but the main ones we care about are:

m10+g240 - 396lbs
            m20+g260 - 497lbs
            m30+g260 - 540lbs
            m42+g240 - 427lbs
            m/s50/2 - ~425lbs no transmission
            s54 - 478lbs no transmission

The engine weights with the transmissions attached also have the clutch and flywheel installed, so you need to add that to the overall weight too. Assume between 25-35lbs depending on which combo you have
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

lmao, the masking tape that says "BMW"
              '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

That's a K24, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                  That's a K24, right?
                  Correct, should have mentioned that. k24a2 from a TSX
                  Originally posted by betz View Post
                  lmao, the masking tape that says "BMW"
                  I have it stored at work (BMW repair shop), had to disguise it from the boss ;) It has an m42 spark plug cover piece on it now too, and it surprisingly fits very well haha
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

I've been weighing transmissions as I come across them as well, because even though they're in the best place to have weight, they still have a significant amount of mass to them.

So far I have:
                    Getrag 250 - 65lbs
                    e36 ZF - 82lbs
                    e46 ZF 6 speed - 97lbs
                    e46 Getrag 420 - 102lbs

I'm using the ZF 6 speed from the ZHP for my swap. You could save another 20ish pounds staying with the 260.

This thread is awesome for comparing engine weights, but the main ones we care about are:

m10+g240 - 396lbs
                    m20+g260 - 497lbs
                    m30+g260 - 540lbs
                    m42+g240 - 427lbs
                    m/s50/2 - ~425lbs no transmission
                    s54 - 478lbs no transmission

The engine weights with the transmissions attached also have the clutch and flywheel installed, so you need to add that to the overall weight too. Assume between 25-35lbs depending on which combo you have
                    dude your car is gonna be so rad. Cant wait to see more progress in that build thread

also thanks for weighing all this shit. All that info should go into a stickied thread, ideally with pics of the engines on the scale. Cant count how many hours I've spent searching for engine weights with and without accessories
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

A fully dressed k24 weighs 280ish lbs with our header and intake manifold.

No real updates to share, but we are working on things. Been a little preoccupied finishing the development on the turbo k20 Miata.

Just got it tuned this week, we made 523whp at 18 psi, 8500rpm redline. Completely stock k20z1 engine. It's totally wild in a Miata that weighs less than 2400 lbs. This setup in an E30 or E36 would be so perfect.
                      David Calzada
                      KMiata Inc.
                      KMiata.com

Comment

Are these wet weights or dry? Fluids can add weight super quickly too. Accessories and wiring harness?

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                          Just got it tuned this week, we made 523whp at 18 psi, 8500rpm redline. Completely stock k20z1 engine.
                          :eeek:

What fuel? Dyno plots please!!

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                            A fully dressed k24 weighs 280ish lbs with our header and intake manifold.

No real updates to share, but we are working on things. Been a little preoccupied finishing the development on the turbo k20 Miata.

Just got it tuned this week, we made 523whp at 18 psi, 8500rpm redline. Completely stock k20z1 engine. It's totally wild in a Miata that weighs less than 2400 lbs. This setup in an E30 or E36 would be so perfect.
                            Curious how this holds up to track abuse

Comment

what's the difference between the k20z1 and the k20z3, when it comes to boost. The Z1 is from a type S, and i think more expensive. The k24 is the cheapest of the bunch correct?
                              91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                              Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                              E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                              "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

The engines from the type S cars are the best, the others work still though. I’m not the expert on all this, but I know the k24a2 is the only 2.4 with oil squirters for the pistons, I think the k20a2 and z1 have them as well. The internals are a bit stronger, and the heads usually flow better.
                                Byron
                                Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                                X