• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    S54 can 1krwhp stock with boost.

K24/20 cannot 1krwhp with boost stock.

Which is stronger?

There is no reason an inline 6 bmw cannot handle good. They come from the factory inline 6; with proper money and effort the weight balance will stay the same.

Bmw kills it in road racing; go to the track and watch the e36/46m outrun Honda powered mid engine Honda’s.

I have a front mid engine Honda; also have a swapped e30; track both- do you have any real comparison like this?

S54 doesn’t need any fuckery to make power; a k24/20 does and is not nearly as reliable as a factory bmw s54; no Frankenstein is.

You boost a k and the weight argument is moot; a compressor + charge piping + additional cooling to a k series and you will have s54 cost and weight.

a boosted k series will weight less than a boosted S54. I'm not down playing the S54 performance obviously it can make more power stock for stock against a k series but having 1000hp in either setup is worthless. I know for a fact the franken k series is just as reliable as an s54. we've ran that for years in all of our race cars and rally cars and the parts are cheap and plentiful.

an s54 costs more money to maintain or even to bulletproof in stock form than a K series.

but regardless of all of this back and forth you'll never get the weight and weight distribution of the inline 4 over the inline 6. maybe distribution with money and weight penalty. anyone whose driven both (power aside) will prefer the nimbleness of the 4cyl. just look at all the room for activities in the engine bay with the k series in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
      a boosted k series will weight less than a boosted S54. I'm not down playing the S54 performance obviously it can make more power stock for stock against a k series but having 1000hp in either setup is worthless. I know for a fact the franken k series is just as reliable as an s54. we've ran that for years in all of our race cars and rally cars and the parts are cheap and plentiful.

an s54 costs more money to maintain or even to bulletproof in stock form than a K series.

but regardless of all of this back and forth you'll never get the weight and weight distribution of the inline 4 over the inline 6. maybe distribution with money and weight penalty. anyone whose driven both (power aside) will prefer the nimbleness of the 4cyl. just look at all the room for activities in the engine bay with the k series in there

somewhat agree since I love my 4 banger front mid engine honda
      somewhat disagree because my e36M with iron 6 would run the same lap times and had even less mechanicals than the stupid reliable factory 9krpm honda.
      Some corners the BMW with BMW I6 is actually better handling. Both cars share tires (actual tires are swapped between them) and have similar weights and identical rated 240hp.
      BMW's handle very good with I6 bmw engines.

f20c swap into e30? I want one.
      Built k24 into e30 and s200 - I also want one but don't want to pay the built motor game for costs and stress reasons;

what did you guys end up using component wise for a durable k24?
      also what kind of costs and hours are involved (mechanical assembly and tuning)

the flipside of buying a S54 / f20c crate motor or secondhand and just installing it is always so easy and oem reliable
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

There's no sense in trying to convince him that there's any value in swapping a non-2017-up Civic Si K into a BMW. He's the only one that knows anything about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
          There's no sense in trying to convince him that there's any value in swapping a non-2017-up Civic Si K into a BMW. He's the only one that knows anything about this.

Why do you say that?

I just bought a lighter better fitting container for a tsx k24 + rsx-r 6 speed than an e30

It’s 1884lbs and aluminum down to the pedal box

OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            Why do you say that?

I just bought a lighter better fitting container for a tsx k24 + rsx-r 6 speed than an e30

It’s 1884lbs and aluminum down to the pedal box

Why not put a S54 in it? It's obviously superior to the Honda K... I'm only sorta trying to give you a hard time. Seriously there's plenty of reasons to put a really cheap, extremely common and light motor in a E30. I like the E30 chasis for the style and quality of the car. I however aren't a huge fan of having to deal with a old motor that's prone to having expensive faliure's. From my point of view I'd rather spend the money up front for a swap kit of durable/ quality parts that aren't ever going to wear out. And benefit from being able to keep my car on the road with a modern motor that also doesn't compromise the car's feel. Asking as you don't crash it or leave it in the snow for years and E30 will never wear only the motor/trans will. Longevity and long term cost effectiveness is something I'm seriously considering when swapping a car that I want to have for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
            Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
            E30 can make you, E30 can break you
            "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

all it takes for a franken K series is a tsx k24 and a rsx k20 head and the rsx oil pump. everything else is stock. you can run that for multiple seasons with just oil changes. for the cost of s54 maintenance items you'll need to address you'd have one or two franken k backup motors you'd still never need

Comment

Whats the price of an s54 swap these days?

Comment

Hi guys, quick update for everyone. Some of you will be mad that I'm not posting pictures but that will happen once we have production parts ready to go.

We have a set of engine mounts test fitted in the chassis, and also have an aluminum oil pan done that fits beautifully. Stock ground clearance, and works with the stock crossmember without modification. Oil pan fixtures have been machined for production already.

Also we have test fitted a good intake manifold solution. We learned long ago that an F20 manifold seriously chokes these engines, so we'll be doing something proper for the E30. We have a header here as well for those looking to stay N/A.

I realize this is a vague update, but we've been made aware of another shop claiming to be developing their own K swap E30 kit without mentioning that our parts are being used on their car, so we'd rather keep the specifics on our designs under wraps for now.

Just know that we're steadily working on things behind the scenes and we'll have something for you when we're 100% satisfied with the end product.
                  David Calzada
                  KMiata Inc.
                  KMiata.com

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                    Hi guys, quick update for everyone. Some of you will be mad that I'm not posting pictures but that will happen once we have production parts ready to go.

We have a set of engine mounts test fitted in the chassis, and also have an aluminum oil pan done that fits beautifully. Stock ground clearance, and works with the stock crossmember without modification. Oil pan fixtures have been machined for production already.

Also we have test fitted a good intake manifold solution. We learned long ago that an F20 manifold seriously chokes these engines, so we'll be doing something proper for the E30. We have a header here as well for those looking to stay N/A.

I realize this is a vague update, but we've been made aware of another shop claiming to be developing their own K swap E30 kit without mentioning that our parts are being used on their car, so we'd rather keep the specifics on our designs under wraps for now.

Just know that we're steadily working on things behind the scenes and we'll have something for you when we're 100% satisfied with the end product.
                    I literally joined this forum to research this topic... and you've been here for months.

A friend wants to do a 190E DTM tribute... I told him to give you a call at some point.

Comment

awesome update! I have to ask, are you guys also looking into using an S2000 transmission? or at least if the mounts would be able to be used with that transmission?

for me personally this would be the most desirable way to run it. my main concern is if one trans is too different in length to use these mounts

Comment

awesome update! I have to ask, are you guys also looking into using an S2000 transmission? or at least if the mounts would be able to be used with that transmission?

for me personally this would be the most desirable way to run it. my main concern is if one trans is too different in length to use these mounts

You might be able to use the parts from the f20c swap kit that I believe is available, then combine with Kmiata mounts and other bits. Just a idea.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

There are a few different companys that make adaptors to run a s2k trans on a k series. just run one of those and be done
                          Originally posted by blunttech
                          Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                          :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech
                            Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                            :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post
                              There are a few different companys that make adaptors to run a s2k trans on a k series. just run one of those and be done

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                              You might be able to use the parts from the f20c swap kit that I believe is available, then combine with Kmiata mounts and other bits. Just a idea.

I'm not worried about adapting the transmission to the motor, that's been done plenty of times.

I'm worried about if this whole kit is developed using the getrag adapter plate so the s2000 trans doesn't line up with the shifter hole. I don't have bother transmissions side by side so I don't know the dimension difference. it's could be perfectly ok

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the oil pan and overall layout.

Comment

Working...
                                X