No announcement yet.

Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may look funny, but we have done extensive testing on different intake lengths to find the optimal length. This placement also allows the ABS to stay in place.
    Last edited by E30SPDFRK; 02-25-2020, 09:43 AM.
    David Calzada
    KMiata Inc.
    KMiata.com

Comment

Edited your post for you so you don't come across as douchebags and lose some potential customers.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Looking excellent, David and KM team! Let me bug you with this one: when will we see some track test video(s)? We're hungry :)

Comment

Does the K Miata intake manifold allow for use of stock k24 power steering pump and ac compressor?

Comment

Originally posted by rover215 View Post
            Looking excellent, David and KM team! Let me bug you with this one: when will we see some track test video(s)? We're hungry :)
            My goal is to have this car on track at NCM the weekend of 3/14-15. Needs a dyno tune, alignment, and some other little things before then. Should be doable.

Originally posted by Kyle90 View Post
            Does the K Miata intake manifold allow for use of stock k24 power steering pump and ac compressor?
            Our car pictured actually has power steering. The factory K pump is relocated down to the A/C compressor location. We've discussed adding A/C to the car as well, which will require us to rework some things. The stock power steering pump location will interfere with the throttle body so we are looking into our options to run both A/C and power steering. In the Miata, we install a smaller compressor in the factory location, and then run an electric power steering setup under the dash. The E30 has more room in the engine bay, so keeping both stock units is likely possible if we can position them well on the engine.

David Calzada
            KMiata Inc.
            KMiata.com

Comment

Trying to hold back from asking 1,000 questions haha... I'll just wait to see how things pan out, seems like you guys will figure everything out in due time. Looks very promising so far! Very excited...
              "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post

Our car pictured actually has power steering. The factory K pump is relocated down to the A/C compressor location. We've discussed adding A/C to the car as well, which will require us to rework some things. The stock power steering pump location will interfere with the throttle body so we are looking into our options to run both A/C and power steering. In the Miata, we install a smaller compressor in the factory location, and then run an electric power steering setup under the dash. The E30 has more room in the engine bay, so keeping both stock units is likely possible if we can position them well on the engine.
                Reason not to go electric on the E30 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Reason not to go electric on the E30 as well?
                  At the moment, cost and ease of building the first car. This power steering setup will be inexpensive and easy to install. Our Miata EPS system is $975, so bringing a $300ish option for power steering to the E30 crowd is appealing. With the K series installed in the Miata, the power steering ports on the rack aren't even accessible. But in the E30, packaging around the engine, oil pan, and steering rack is roomy, so it was easy to fit the necessary lines and fittings.
                  David Calzada
                  KMiata Inc.
                  KMiata.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    With all that development time, did nobody question the idea of running the intake tube right behind a radiator?

That engine looks nice in there though. Good job
                    he said it, we all thought it.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybk View Post

he said it, we all thought it.
                      The intake is set up like that for a reason: because it will make power. The K series does best with a couple feet of intake length. We've seen 8-10whp on the dyno just from adding intake length. This setup wasn't a careless afterthought, and it will make more power than a shorter tube behind the driver side headlight. We can always wrap if if we experience heat soak on a hot day on track, but I don't expect it to be an issue based on our past experience.

When I sent a picture of the engine bay to our tuner for the first time, he only responded with: "that intake is going to be magical"
                      David Calzada
                      KMiata Inc.
                      KMiata.com

Comment

Is there anywhere that sell mounts for a k series in an e30?
                        using an s2000 trans
                        ive been gathering parts and planning this swap for 5 years (see the date on a photo yesterday lol)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDee View Post
                          Is there anywhere that sell mounts for a k series in an e30?
                          using an s2000 trans
                          ive been gathering parts and planning this swap for 5 years (see the date on a photo yesterday lol)
                          I’m also planning a build for either a k24 or f22c with an ap2 s2000 transmission in an e30. It seems that for my requirements (power steering and AC) the k24 may require too many modifications to where the f22c starts to make more sense. My plan is to go with a smaller quick spoiling turbo either way (Garrett g25).

Comment

Will you guys be making a kit for the e36 in the near future?

Comment

^

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                              4) No details on E36 swap parts yet.

Thanks for your interest and your patience!
                              This was just a week ago, so I think the answer is yes but with no firm timeline
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

We got the car on the dyno last night! Our very simple OEM combo made 234whp, 190wtq, rev limiter at 8600 rpm, although we'll probably shift at 8300 on track. It's a K24A2 bottom end, with a K20Z3 head. The K20 head flows lightly better than the K24 head and is worth less than 5 hp on this engine, but it was what we had available.

I took it around the business park afterwards and it's a riot. Oil pressure was constant at 90+ psi. The AKG engine mounts also feel amazing. It feels like a factory car. Power steering works like stock and feels perfect. Overall I'm thrilled with our execution of this swap, I don't think it could have come together any more nicely. Here's a link to the dyno video on our facebook page.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	9909231

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	9909232
                                David Calzada
                                KMiata Inc.
                                KMiata.com

Comment

Working...
                                X