No announcement yet.

Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like over 180 wtq on the Kmiata swap.

With a unmodified K20A2 head, you can definitely get 200 wtq.

With 2.5 stroker crank, worked head, you can get some wild numbers, like 350 - 425 whp depending on fuel, compression ratio, and cams.

iVTEC allows for a large range of adjustability, so the torque curve can be pretty flat.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

160-ish tq. but its not hard to make more with hondata, cams, and a few bolt ons.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
        160-ish tq. but its not hard to make more with hondata, cams, and a few bolt ons.

so a lemons car M20b25 with 2xx,xxx miles post 14hr race made

154rwhp and 157r torque on the MCE dyno at thunderhill

STOCK e30 M20b25 engine from 1987

why even bother swapping to a honda engine if you care about torque>?
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          so a lemons car M20b25 with 2xx,xxx miles post 14hr race made

154rwhp and 157r torque on the MCE dyno at thunderhill

STOCK e30 M20b25 engine from 1987

why even bother swapping to a honda engine if you care about torque>?
          Perhaps, for those interested in this swap, the K24 offers something that neither the M20 or F20c offers - A more modern design in a lightweight, reliable package with excellent power potential compared to the M20, while still having more torque than an F series (and arguably, a number of other benefits on top).

It's obvious where you stand on the issue, seemingly with a great deal of bias against the K series. This thread is about gauging interest in such a swap for the E30 chassis. You are not interested. There is another thread on here about swapping an F20c into the E30 chassis, so that angle has been covered elsewhere.

One thing I will grant you is that the K swap for the Miata chassis is more expensive than I think it's worth. I briefly considered that maybe I should sell my E30 for a Miata to do a K swap, but the cost of it killed that thought pretty quickly. Given that E30 owners are really cheap, if this swap kit ends up being similarly expensive, I think a lot of your interested parties will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            Perhaps, for those interested in this swap, the K24 offers something that neither the M20 or F20c offers - A more modern design in a lightweight, reliable package with excellent power potential compared to the M20, while still having more torque than an F series (and arguably, a number of other benefits on top).

It's obvious where you stand on the issue, seemingly with a great deal of bias against the K series. This thread is about gauging interest in such a swap for the E30 chassis. You are not interested. There is another thread on here about swapping an F20c into the E30 chassis, so that angle has been covered elsewhere.

One thing I will grant you is that the K swap for the Miata chassis is more expensive than I think it's worth. I briefly considered that maybe I should sell my E30 for a Miata to do a K swap, but the cost of it killed that thought pretty quickly. Given that E30 owners are really cheap, if this swap kit ends up being similarly expensive, I think a lot of your interested parties will be gone.
            My point is identical to yours (K miata parts are way overpriced) with addition of the facts of the F20c being both cheaper and better out of the box than a K series and requires none of the K-miata parts.

Calling BS on a statement that is bs (s2000 owners are swapping K engines left and right) has nothing to do with like or dislike of k series.

I want a K20 CTR factory honda turbo in an S2000
            and e30
            and e36M and or ti

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post

I think the price point of the kit is going to be the make or break. other differences aside if the kit is the same price as the current kmiata kit then yeah I don't think it'll bode well, especially considering what range of kits you could be getting into (s54,even LS1)

my hope is that from the feedback so far from kmiata saying the E30 chassis is much easier than a Miata that the price point is reflected. make it cheaper than anyone expected and I think there will be k series swaps left and right. hell I bet even the f20c guys could utilize the parts based on what I've researched on an s2k K swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                your statement of S2000 owners swapping K series left and right is total BS

There are NONE that frequent the tracks in norcal. Zero;
                So if there aren't K24 S2000s in norcal than they don't exist anywhere? We have a bunch of them here in the Midwest and there's already a ton of aftermarket support for that swap.

I joined the forum because of users posting questions and interest for a K24 E30 swap. I also get phone calls and emails about this constantly, and we've sold at least a dozen K to ZF adapters and flywheels to guys fabricating their own K24 E30 and E36 swaps.

The K24 Miata swap pricing is based on the parts that are needed to do a bolt-in conversion with no fab work in that particular chassis. We don't skimp on quality to cut cost like other swaps. We do things the right way and we sell to customers looking for a premium product. However, an E30 swap would definitely be simpler and more cost effective, so that's good news for everyone.

If the consensus from this crowd is that a K swap isn't worth it for the E30 and everyone is better off fabbing their own superior F20 swap (or sticking with a 154whp/157wtq M20B25) tell me now and I won't invest any more time and energy into this thread or forum. I'm happy to silently do our research behind the scenes and drop something on the market if/when we decide to.

My opinion remains that a cheap stock K24A2, weighing in at 275 lb fully dressed, making 220+whp/180wtq and revving to 8200 rpm sounds like a winner for the E30 to me. Not to mention the potential for boost or 300+whp N/A engine builds with off-the-shelf parts.
                David Calzada
                KMiata Inc.
                KMiata.com

Comment

Honda K24 swap interest?

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                  So if there aren't K24 S2000s in norcal than they don't exist anywhere? We have a bunch of them here in the Midwest and there's already a ton of aftermarket support for that swap.

I joined the forum because of users posting questions and interest for a K24 E30 swap. I also get phone calls and emails about this constantly, and we've sold at least a dozen K to ZF adapters and flywheels to guys fabricating their own K24 E30 and E36 swaps.

The K24 Miata swap pricing is based on the parts that are needed to do a bolt-in conversion with no fab work in that particular chassis. We don't skimp on quality to cut cost like other swaps. We do things the right way and we sell to customers looking for a premium product. However, an E30 swap would definitely be simpler and more cost effective, so that's good news for everyone.

If the consensus from this crowd is that a K swap isn't worth it for the E30 and everyone is better off fabbing their own superior F20 swap (or sticking with a 154whp/157wtq M20B25) tell me now and I won't invest any more time and energy into this thread or forum. I'm happy to silently do our research behind the scenes and drop something on the market if/when we decide to.

My opinion remains that a cheap stock K24A2, weighing in at 275 lb fully dressed, making 220+whp/180wtq and revving to 8200 rpm sounds like a winner for the E30 to me. Not to mention the potential for boost or 300+whp N/A engine builds with off-the-shelf parts.

I simply state a fact; bs was posted. There is no widespread left and right engine swapping of k series into s2000’s. This is bullshit

NorCal is Laguna, thunderhill, sonoma

Tracks ranked #1,#2,#17 in North America. Slightly different crowd and level and mass amounts of cars compared to your Michigan tracks of gingerman, Waterford hills - I know Michigan tracks also.

Track photo is from buttonwillow. Neither NorCal or Socal; both.
                  Out of the Pictured 3 s2000’s At a center of cali track two were from Socal, one NorCal.

In the major groups that book the tracks NorCal and Socal I’m involved with: there is not a single k swap s2000. There is one j32 swap s2000, that’s it. Plenty of supercharged or built f series engines as well

In Cali we have both the need and the money and the time for good engines, obviously the k is not the best route for s2000’s.

In the fwd vtec club world the b series cars often run just as fast as the k series cars.

Perhaps all the kits you have sold (I’ll be generous and assume you have sold 20).....are never at the track and too busy posting build threads. Ps there are usually 20-30 s2000’s at most track days and nobody who actually tracks an s2000 has a k motor swap.

The m20b25 that comes with every cheap ass e30 (and e30 owner) is a extremely responsive torquey engine.

Spending $4-5k on parts alone just to bolt in a fancy modern k series engine is more money than installing a native bmw engine with much more power. S54b32 and s52b32 are popular and the e30 does still handle very good with a inline 6 as delivered from the factory. The bmw engines are native installs with cheap off the shelf clutch/mounts/tuning parts. Just bolt it in and kick ass

I’m making a positive suggestion to push the new k20 turbo engine swaps; this is where people will open their wallets and be ok with the costs.
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 04-05-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

dont let one mans opinions of the swap or that specific motor sway you. there is already the option for a F20 swap into an E30 from a vendor in NorCal, and more options is always a nice thing.

all the 24v swaps for E30s will cost at least 3k for a used, M5X family motor (M/S50, M/S52) and at least double that for the S54, so the people interested in that price point will also be interested in this price point. a lot of people arent always chasing the big HP number, and are after better balance and thats were the heavy S54 motor will lose out to a 4 cylinder every time
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

please don't stop developing these kits. and idk where in the Midwest you are but if you need a beta tester I've got an E30 M3 that I'd gladly lend you for development. I'm about to pull the S52 out anyway since I can't get it running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

wanganstyle

Comment

I bet that there will be a small-ish number of E30 owners that'd get a complete kit from the very start. It seems most of the hard work is already done, as I bet that the intake and exhaust parts will work fine with an E30, and obviously so will the transmission adapter and flywheel.

It's kind of an interesting dilemma, if you have a swap kit for around $4500, and add in a budget build K24 with K20 head and cams, you are easily in the territory of an S54 swap, and will be missing around 40-50 rwtq.

The question then becomes, does front end feel matter? A K24 will be around 180-200 lbs lighter than a dressed S54. I think the car will feel way more eager to turn in and removing that much weight from an E30 would improve acceleration just by itself, never mind the braking.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Honda K24 swap interest?

I don't have tons to add here, but as I am currently building an M4x motor for my E30, and have a K20 in my daily driver (RSX-S), I figured I should chime in.

I am all for lightweight motors in the E30 chassis. I have had an M20 car, driven ETAs, all 24v swapped cars, sans S54, and still found myself drawn to the late model 318is. I think the balance and lightness are excellent, and even with a stock 25 year old car, I had bundles of fun.

I searched for engine swaps that would get me a more modern powerplant with more potential for a while. I ended up sticking to the M42, albeit upgrading it with M44 and e36 M42 parts, for the simplicity and cost effectiveness.

I would have gone for an F20C, but I couldn't justify the cost. I like the motor in my RSX, as it's quite reliable and revvy, despite the crappy plastic rattles associated with that car specifically. It's a great motor, but lacks the torque it needs in my opinion.

If a K24 swap was competitively priced (similar to 24v), I would have totally gone that route instead of spending time on a motor that nobody seems to care about. I would be most concerned about wiring and tuning, as that's my biggest concern with any swap.
                            Last edited by jwal; 04-05-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

shiiittttt sign me up!!!
                              "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
                              1991 318is - the cruiser
                              1989 325i - the rats nest

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                                wanganstyle
                                +1

Considering F20 with regular VTEC over a K20 with i-VTEC is hilarious :p
                                You can only dream of a flat torque curve like in this K24:

In Europe F20 is 2x more expensive vs K20 to start with, and they need a proper rebuild nearly ALL the time once bought. Just like an good, old B-series that the engine is partially derived from...

Besides, putting F20 engine with S2K trans still requires a lot of fabrication. Basically what you need additionally with K is flywheel+adapter and intake manifold (which can be fabricated out of old S2000 intake which is super cheap...), easily covered by much lower initial engine cost vs F20...

And oil pan modification (or bulkhead mod to fit the entire engine behind the crossmember :devil: - depends what you can do according the FIA class), engine mounts, standalone management, exhaust - all needs to be fabricated on both engines.

Add to this custom transmission mounts, shifter, driveshaft mod on the S2K transmission...

F is neither cheaper nor better than K, lol...

Comment

Working...
                                X