No announcement yet.

Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been almost two months since our last update on this BMW E30 project from Germany. Since then have put over 1200 km (745 miles) on the E30 having fun while testing everything. For those unfamiliar with the project, it's powered by a 2.0 L K20A inline-four with a dry sump, BMW E36 five-speed manual...

Some guy in Germany has a dry sumped k20 running. Cool video in the article.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

bump

Comment

Lots has happened in the last month and a half so it's time for an update.

We moved into a much larger shop, purchased another CNC mill and some other equipment, and now have tons of room and resources to finish up this project.

Big thanks to agile30 for loaning us his car:

We also just finished up the part that nobody knew you need for this swap and it turned out incredible: our very own cast aluminum intake manifold. It's been almost three years in the making, and it's packed with every feature you'd want in a RWD K manifold. And the biggest benefit to the E30 crowd is it FITS. No other manifold on the market clears the E30 brake booster. I realize this can be deleted but that's not for everyone, so we specifically designed this to work in the E30 with a stock brake setup. We will have them in stock in September and you can read all about it and pre-order one here.

This manifold will be standard for all E30 swap kits. Here are some pictures:

A provision for the factory K series idle control port is built in too!

Here's how it sits in the bay:

It looks like it's touching the booster in this picture, but there is a 1/4" gap. And we're using the N15 remote reservoir kit as well.

Aside from the manifold, the oil pan and pickup are done, although not pictured. Final engine mounts will be done within the next week or two. The header is also done.

We don't like posting pictures of pre-production parts, so bear with us as we make everything perfect.

Once all these components are completed, the plan is to pick up an cheap street/track E30. This entire swap will get dropped into that car for some immediate dyno tuning and track days before any parts come to market.

If anyone knows of a basic car like this for sale please email me at david@kmiata.com. Ideally we just want something basic and fun with some decent suspension and brakes, and it would be a bonus to have a race seat, belts, and a roll bar. The car must be streetable, so no full race cars at the moment. Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional and ideally rust free. I have no issues traveling for the right car.
        David Calzada
        KMiata Inc.
        KMiata.com

Comment

Awesome news, glad this kit is almost to market.
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
            *snip*

If anyone knows of a basic car like this for sale please email me at david@kmiata.com. Ideally we just want something basic and fun with some decent suspension and brakes, and it would be a bonus to have a race seat, belts, and a roll bar. The car must be streetable, so no full race cars at the moment. Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional and ideally rust free. I have no issues traveling for the right car.

how about I loan you my M3 that comes with a free driver that works at a certain Japanese OEM that develops suspension for a living :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Danny; 06-28-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

This is the best news! I've just been amassing all the bits for my 325e and haven't really done anything to the car except replace the old struts. I've been sitting on my k24A2 hoping the engine mounts and pan, etc would be out by summer.
              Are you guys planning on a wiring adapter? A/C or power steering kit?

Anyone else following the Grassroots Motorsport 318is project car? I hope to model my suspension and brakes after theirs, but I'll keep my roached pain job.

Comment

cool stuff ... a somewhat local guy who runs in drift events around here talked about swapping a K24 into his E30... this would be a great swap Im going to stick with the M20 for now but am interested in this ... pretty awesome...
                take care
                JAK

Comment

Thanks guys!

We will eventually need our own car, we can't do all of the required track testing with someone else's car.

Obviously a swap kit release is contingent on all testing going well. You don't know what you don't know with any new swap, but we have a very good grasp on what's needed to finish this up well and to make it perfect.

More updates coming very soon.
                  David Calzada
                  KMiata Inc.
                  KMiata.com

Comment

Your transmission adapter is perfect and your intake looks great but your prices are expensive. A fully drop in kit including adapter, intake manifold, oil pan/pick up, header, motor mounts, harness adapter, etc. I am guessing is going to be around 7k+ including shipping? I know R&D is expensive but you should put a price point out so people have an idea of how much a drop in(just add engine)K24 is actually going to cost.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                      Your transmission adapter is perfect and your intake looks great but your prices are expensive. A fully drop in kit including adapter, intake manifold, oil pan/pick up, header, motor mounts, harness adapter, etc. I am guessing is going to be around 7k+ including shipping? I know R&D is expensive but you should put a price point out so people have an idea of how much a drop in(just add engine)K24 is actually going to cost.
                      I appreciate the feedback. The swap kit pricing won't be anywhere near 7k, and you can quote me on that. The manifold is already a steal at $499 considering everything else on the market, and it will come in a bit less than that when everything is purchased as a package.

Our prices are what they are because these products are made of the highest quality and also not mass produced.

Also, the E30 kit will be less expensive than the Miata kit because the stock crossmember is used. We're confident that we'll be able to offer a product that enough E30 owners will find attractive at our price point, just like we did with the Miata platform.
                      David Calzada
                      KMiata Inc.
                      KMiata.com

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                        I appreciate the feedback. The swap kit pricing won't be anywhere near 7k, and you can quote me on that. The manifold is already a steal at $499 considering everything else on the market, and it will come in a bit less than that when everything is purchased as a package.

Our prices are what they are because these products are made of the highest quality and also not mass produced.

Also, the E30 kit will be less expensive than the Miata kit because the stock crossmember is used. We're confident that we'll be able to offer a product that enough E30 owners will find attractive at our price point, just like we did with the Miata platform.
                        this is really cool stuff with the right shop putting it together.

any chance you'd do a "california special" intake manifold with "HONDA" milled in their font instead of your logo? if you know the rules out here, you know why. ;)
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Alright, this is what I'm talking about. Any e30 that does this swap is going to be a animal that handles like a dream, I can't wait to ditch my eta motor...

John Paul
                          1984 533i
                          1984 733i
                          1985 325e
                          1998 M3
                          1998 318ti
                          2008 335i

Comment

Can’t wait [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                              this is really cool stuff with the right shop putting it together.

any chance you'd do a "california special" intake manifold with "HONDA" milled in their font instead of your logo? if you know the rules out here, you know why. ;)
                              Ah, yeah I see why you'd want that. But not a chance of that at the moment, we'd need to change the tooling for the casting.

I'm sure there's another way around that :)
                              David Calzada
                              KMiata Inc.
                              KMiata.com

Comment

outstanding
                                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Working...
                                X