No announcement yet.

Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great! are there any mods to this engine other than the Z3 head? (and your intake/exhaust?)
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      That's great! are there any mods to this engine other than the Z3 head? (and your intake/exhaust?)

No, all OEM stuff. I would have just used a K24A2 head but I didn't have one available and I found this K20Z3 head for $300 so I grabbed it. Externally it's the same dimensions so we were still able to build our swap parts around it as though it were a full K24A2 longblock. I have some Drag Cartel 3.2 cams I'd like to throw in eventually, which should put us over 250whp.
      David Calzada
      KMiata Inc.
      KMiata.com

Comment

Awesome
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          ^

This was just a week ago, so I think the answer is yes but with no firm timeline
          Thanks, didn't see that. I am definitely waiting for an e36 swap kit!

Comment

Kmiata
            would you sell me a set of mounts? I'm looking to get started in the next 6 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDee View Post
              Kmiata
              would you sell me a set of mounts? I'm looking to get started in the next 6 weeks
              I don't expect to have mounts ready quite that fast, but we will have some available this spring. Currently we just have the single prototype set, which we will be thoroughly testing this March. After that we will begin production.
              David Calzada
              KMiata Inc.
              KMiata.com

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                We got the car on the dyno last night! Our very simple OEM combo made 234whp, 190wtq, rev limiter at 8600 rpm, although we'll probably shift at 8300 on track. It's a K24A2 bottom end, with a K20Z3 head. The K20 head flows lightly better than the K24 head and is worth less than 5 hp on this engine, but it was what we had available.

I took it around the business park afterwards and it's a riot. Oil pressure was constant at 90+ psi. The AKG engine mounts also feel amazing. It feels like a factory car. Power steering works like stock and feels perfect. Overall I'm thrilled with our execution of this swap, I don't think it could have come together any more nicely. Here's a link to the dyno video on our facebook page.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_7552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	9909232
                Looks like the VTEC changeover could go up ~200 RPM.

Comment

KMiata- does your e30 have a working dash (either stock or aftermarket)? Would love to keep it looking original but it's not a big deal. Wonder if the TSX cluster would fit in the stock location.

Comment

Originally posted by rover215 View Post
                    KMiata- does your e30 have a working dash (either stock or aftermarket)? Would love to keep it looking original but it's not a big deal. Wonder if the TSX cluster would fit in the stock location.
                    our harness uses the stock cluster and everything works like stock
                    1993 BMW 850ci factory 6 speed
                    1992 Honda Civic Hatch, built B16, turbo, and nitrous
                    1989 BMW 325i, f20c swap
                    1989 Honda CRX, built LS/vtec, turbo, and nitrous

Comment

Originally posted by Fucatypr View Post

our harness uses the stock cluster and everything works like stock
                      PERFECT! Where's the info on how to buy it? I follow your YouTube channel, too, and love those red and white e30's. How about engine mounts?
                      Last edited by rover215; 03-05-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post

I don't expect to have mounts ready quite that fast, but we will have some available this spring. Currently we just have the single prototype set, which we will be thoroughly testing this March. After that we will begin production.
                        I might be able to hang on. How much would you expect to sell them for? Motor and trans

Comment

PERFECT! Where's the info on how to buy it? I follow your YouTube channel, too, and love those red and white e30's. How about engine mounts?
                          we are doing a small test run of the production mounts in 2 weeks or so and the harnesses are in production now.
                          1993 BMW 850ci factory 6 speed
                          1992 Honda Civic Hatch, built B16, turbo, and nitrous
                          1989 BMW 325i, f20c swap
                          1989 Honda CRX, built LS/vtec, turbo, and nitrous

Comment

Kmiata, what trans are you guys recommending? The Honda 6spd, or bmw zf’s from e36/e46? Will you have trans mounts/driveshafts for a few common choices? If so could you let us know. I’m waiting for more details to start planning what supporting parts to buy.

Was there differences in the ka24a2 and z3 fitment? Both need oil pans I’m guessing and you will support both? Is either of the two preferred for our application fitment wise?

Thank you!

Comment

Our harness is plug and play and it works with the stock cluster, everything functions normally. The wiring in these cars is thankfully quite simple.

Originally posted by JonJonE30 View Post
                              Kmiata, what trans are you guys recommending? The Honda 6spd, or bmw zf’s from e36/e46? Will you have trans mounts/driveshafts for a few common choices? If so could you let us know. I’m waiting for more details to start planning what supporting parts to buy.

Was there differences in the ka24a2 and z3 fitment? Both need oil pans I’m guessing and you will support both? Is either of the two preferred for our application fitment wise?

Thank you!
                              The K series 6-speed trans is a FWD gearbox, so that's out. For most applications, I'd recommend a Getrag 260 or ZF 5-speed. We have a ZF 5-speed and 3.73 rear end in our car currently, and the gearing seems like a good combo for such a high revving engine. If you stick with a 5-speed, then no custom driveshaft or trans mount is needed, so it keeps things simple. We may eventually make some parts to make it easy to run an E46 ZF 6-speed as well.

I have a track weekend booked at NCM for this weekend, so I'm going to put a bunch of hard laps into this thing and monitor temps and oil pressure. But so far it's been great on the street. We are installing our roll bar this week, and I'm getting a proper race alignment done on the car today too.
                              David Calzada
                              KMiata Inc.
                              KMiata.com

Comment

And still running the "2002-2004 RSX Type S harness from a K20A2, or 2003-2006 Honda Element manual harness" depending on which engine management we choose to use?

Comment

Working...
                                X