Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda K24 swap interest?

Hoping this isn't considered blasphemous here, seeing as there are plenty of swaps in almost all cars, but I'm going to be swapping an Acura TSX engine ('08) into my '87 325e. The Honda K24A2 puts out 205hp and 170lbft torque in stock form- pretty close to the S14's 200hp/177lbft. Lighter, too.

KMiata has been swapping this motor into Miata's for a couple years or so, and they've recently started making adapters for BMW transmissions; Getrag 260 and e36/e46 ZF 5 and 6 speeds. I've been emailing them for a little while and they have mentioned a growing interest in this particular swap from other customers. I'm trying to see if there are more e30 owners who'd be interested in this swap. They might also design billet aluminum engine mounts and oil pans specifically for K24/e30 swap, if there's enough interest.

My car already has the G260 which has almost identical gear ratios as the e30 M3's. I'd swap out the diff to a shorter 3.73lsd, but dealer's choice. I don't know why the trans couldn't be allowed to stay put, keeping the stock shifter location. Lot of little things to figure out, but having engine mounts, oil pan, and trans all mated up well makes it easier.

Wiring would be the big headache- for me at least. Anyways, ramble ramble...
    I'll be posting progress as it happens.

I've been interested in the swap as well. It seems like the position of the engine would be very similar in the Nissan S14 as shown in the following video:

We're at NV Auto trying to fit our Honda K24A2 K-Swap engine into our Nissan 240SX. Will it fit and work? Follow along as we figure out how to swap a Honda K...

So you can see that with a RSX Type S oil pump and modified steel pan, it's awfully close to fitting once the subframe is notched on the S14. However, the subframe can't really be notched on an E30 to get the engine to scoot backwards.

There is a guy on r3v who mocked up almost everything but found he had a bad engine, so he stopped working on it. Having the BMW transmission adapter and flywheel is great to have, though.

Obviously the best thing about the K swap is that with bolt ons, you can make excellent power. With head work and cams, you can get some pretty crazy power.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

There's definitely interest: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=400296

As soon as I see what oil pan/pump mods are needed and it's not overly difficult I'm going to pull the trigger.
      Last edited by captain awesome; 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I have seen the adapters for the B swaps to mate up Getrags. I didn't know K was being put into production.

Although, Garagistic just posted a project K swap 'gauge of interest' on their Insta. I would follow their build, learn the headaches and go from there.

20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Subscribed. I have been interested in this swap for a while now. Hopefully Kmiata chimes in soon. ������
          Last edited by agile30; 03-16-2018, 08:15 AM.
          Originally posted by Good & Tight
          It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Hi guys, first post here but thought I'd chime in.

My name is David Calzada and I'm the founder of KMiata Inc. I also happen to be a big BMW fan (my daily driver is a lightly modded E46 M3, laguna seca blue on black, 6MT) and I also have a lot of track buddies with E30s, E36s, and E46s so I'm pretty familiar with the community.

Anyway, we have have been getting a ton of requests for E30 and E36 swap parts over the last few months thanks to our ZF and G260 trans adapters and flywheels. We offer a full bolt-in kit to install these transmissions in Miatas now, you can see more here if you have any interest.

Because of the obvious demand, we will be bringing K series swap support to the E30 and E36 communities. We have already sold many sets of adapter plates and flywheels to BMW owners looking to fabricate the rest of the swap on their own.

I can't say much more than this now, but know that your community is on our radar. We have become the RWD K series swap experts since we started our original Miata development back in 2013 and we're pretty excited about this.

I'm here to learn more about the E30 chassis and pick people's brains when needed. I will tell you that the E30 swap is MUCH simpler than the Miata swap, and now that we have a CNC mill on site we should have some cool things coming your way sooner than later.

I'll make a point to log in here regularly, but I'm also very quick at responding to emails to sales@kmiata.com if anyone needs anything.

Thanks guys!
            David Calzada
            KMiata Inc.
            KMiata.com

Comment

Always been interested in japanese engines in european chassis. would love to see more follow up on this
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Yes, this is the swap I'd do if I ever decide to ditch the M20.

Comment

Saw that too, sounds like be a fun swap..
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

There is a guy on r3v who mocked up almost everything but found he had a bad engine, so he stopped working on it. Having the BMW transmission adapter and flywheel is great to have, though.
                    FredK- I swa that, too, on several forums, but then I couldn't find any further posts. Looked like he was making great progress, but a new family member came along, so...

As soon as I see what oil pan/pump mods are needed and it's not overly difficult I'm going to pull the trigger.
                    Captain Awesome- I missed that build, but I hope the K24 specific swap helps gain even more interest. The guys at KMiata I've been emailing sound like they're going to do some r&d on the engine mounts and pan fabrication and oil pump mods.

Lots can be done to the K engines to make crazy horses, but I'm not a mechanic and am going with the easiest path, so I'll keep it as stock as possible. Will probably do bolt-ons like header and intake, maybe 50deg VTC and call it a day there. I'll let the KMiata gang know people are on board.

Comment

Originally posted by rover215 View Post
                      FredK- I swa that, too, on several forums, but then I couldn't find any further posts. Looked like he was making great progress, but a new family member came along, so...

Captain Awesome- I missed that build, but I hope the K24 specific swap helps gain even more interest. The guys at KMiata I've been emailing sound like they're going to do some r&d on the engine mounts and pan fabrication and oil pump mods.

Lots can be done to the K engines to make crazy horses, but I'm not a mechanic and am going with the easiest path, so I'll keep it as stock as possible. Will probably do bolt-ons like header and intake, maybe 50deg VTC and call it a day there. I'll let the KMiata gang know people are on board.
                      The k24 makes more sense to me than the f20 for sure. Lower cost, double m42 power out of the box, mild bolt ons and you are now getting nice reliable HP without all the weight associated with other swaps.

Comment

not my cup of tea, but I'll make some popcorn and watch I guess.

sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                          Yes, this is the swap I'd do if I ever decide to ditch the M20.
                          Agreed, I'm interested.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

I think the only thing I'll miss is the sound. Hard to beat the sound of an M20. Even my all-torque-and-no-poke eta sounds great under load. I don't think most 4 bangers sounds that great, but I'll manage :)

Comment

I'm well on my way to a K20 with twin scroll EFR7163 swap into my E36. I'm using the KMiata transmission adapter kit with a ZF.

Comment

Working...
                              X