X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    i had the window sticker for mine somewhere. It was like $45,000 in 1991.. Pretty crazy if you think about it. That's like $85k in today's dollars.

If you bought a brand new m3 and stuck it in a bubble, it might be worth $500k if you work at eag. But if you put that same $40,000 into stocks back then, you'd probably have 5x that much.

Moral of the story: Drive your cars and enjoy them, because they're not going to make you rich..
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• SOneThreeCoupe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ygtbsm1969
    So buy a E30 for $12,000 and take care of it, enjoy it and in 10 or 20 years sell it for 24,000 or maybe more. E30 in nice maintained condition will not lose value and will keep its own against inflation.

It's not a replacement for savings, investments, or real-estate but they diversify your portfolio, and it's not taxed. I would also rather change the oil on my cars than check the email for my new balance.
    Talking about cars as financial investments is silly with values of non-M E30s where they are. I ran the numbers, and it doesn't make any sense.

Talking about them as investments in mental health to go out and run to redline a few times, or do a valve adjustment for some wrench therapy- that I can do. I pay money for those smiles per mile.

I need to dig out the window sticker from my first '90 325i.

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
    Cirrus Blue missing from the paint list? oopsie
    Fun story: Glasurit Color-Online doesn't list Cirrus Blue as a color for 3-series cars from 1988-1991. I mean, you can't even bring it up in a search of BASF's mixing software.

Leave a comment:

• DrJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    ^ says to not take investment advice from random forum posters, proceeds to give long winded post about investment advice.. uhhh.

I must be doing well above average then.. *shrug* :)

And he gives bad advice at that.

Leading by example I guess

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Ygtbsm1969
    Never take investment advice from a forum and a guy that bounces around throwing rocks and running.
    ^ says to not take investment advice from random forum posters, proceeds to give long winded post about investment advice.. uhhh.

I must be doing well above average then.. *shrug* :)

Leave a comment:

• AwakenNoMore
    replied
    Cirrus Blue missing from the paint list? oopsie

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    The entire classic/collectible car market has taken a huge upswing since the recession. A lot of cars are worth 3 times as much now as they were 10 years ago (E30 M3, D90 NAS, etc.)

That's great some of you still have the window sticker! Mine doesn't have it, but I do have the order form for the second owner who bought it used at the BMW dealer. He paid $18k in 94 for the 90 325is and they gave him $2k in trade for an 86 Subaru. Amazing that the BMW was so much more even though it was only 4 years newer.

Leave a comment:

• nineteeneightyseven
    replied
    The above matches my window sticker as well.

Model
    1987 325is
    Color Cinnabar Red
    Interior Black Leather

Suggested Retail Price 26,990.00
    Dealer Preparation Charge 190.00
    Destination And Handling Charge 295.00
    Total Suggested Retail Price 27,475.00

Leave a comment:

replied
    I have the window sticker from our 1987 325is ...

1987 325isA
    Color Delphin
    Interior Black Leather
    Suggested Retail Price $26,990

Options:
    4 Speed Overdrive Automatic Transmission $595
    Metallic Paint $335
    Dealer Preparation Charge $190
    Destination and Handling Charge $295

Total Suggested Retail Price $28,405

The "is" included all the other options like sport seats, front and rear spoilers, electric sunroof, 13 button OBC, 14" weave wheels, etc.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    yeah, there are exceptions - but mostly if you bought a car brand new, and never used it, you're not likely to even break even, much less make a profit - not even considering the opportunity cost of not 'investing' that money somewhere better...

Leave a comment:

• SOneThreeCoupe
    replied
    I've watched great '73 911 S-trim cars go from $75k in '07/08 to over $300k in 2015.

That's an ROI I can approve of, but it's not something even we in the business could have anticipated.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Are you trying to say that cars are bad investments? Heresy!

Leave a comment:

• SOneThreeCoupe
    replied
    If you put $40k into stocks in 1991 and you got a 5% ROI, which is stupid low, you'd have $123,059 after 27 years.

At 7%, which is still low, it would be $190,452. So yeah... you'd have about 5x that much. At $1000 per year additional investment, which we'd say was maintenance and insurance, you'd have $257,429.

Just in case, you know, you were wondering.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    ^
    Winner right there.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I had the window sticker for mine somewhere. it was like $45,000 in 1991.. pretty crazy if you think about it. that's like $85k in today's dollars.

If you bought a brand new M3 and stuck it in a bubble, it might be worth $100k. But if you put that same $40,000 into stocks back then, you'd probably have 5x that much.

moral of the story: drive your cars and enjoy them, because they're not going to make you rich..

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty interesting, especially since M3s are worth so much more now than all the other E30s, even the rare 91 M-Technic verts (which cost about $40,600). I guess just cause of demand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X