Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a brand new M3 sedan or an E30 M3 and a restored 2002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a brand new M3 sedan or an E30 M3 and a restored 2002?

Background:

I have two E30 318is, E30 325i, E34 M5. I don't drive any of them very much because of winter time but try to get them out as much as possible in the summer. I probably put 3000 miles a year on them combined.

IDK why but I'm thinking about buying another car. A brand new M3 sedan w/ manual transmission or a nice E30 M3 and a nicely restored 2002. I would probably drive the E30 M3 and 2002 very very rarely due to fear of them getting damaged and I live on a 2 mile long gravel road. The new M3 I would care a lot less about since it isn't rare and has a warranty.

New M3 will depreciate in value but I would probably have a lot more fun in it since it would be driven more. While driven less, the E30 M3 and 2002 would theoretically appreciate in value over time.

I'd be looking at around $85k for either option. What would you do?

That’s a hard decision but since you already have multiple older BMWs, I’d go with the new M3.
    Instagram
    Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
    F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
    E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
    E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
    E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

new m3’s are the best performing BMW’s, but they are so different than any of the cars you own.

Also I think they sound like absolute garbage. If I had to go BMW, I’d get a 1M, throw on some bolt ons. Functional set of wheels, plus a grippy tire setup, and pocket the other 30k

if you want an even better car, the new gt350 or gt350r are the best drivers car at that price range, nothing else even comes remotely close. The Sound, feel, performance, and reliability are unmatched.

If you’re into collecting cars, get the 2002, if you want to actually drive your next car, don’t get a 85k 2002, you will be too worried about damaging it instead of enjoying it.

Comment

Maybe get m2c? small, as close as it gets to bmw e30 m3 without being old.

Comment

If I get a new car it has to be a sedan so I can haul my toddler around. I can only justify classic two door cars to the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
            new m3’s are the best performing BMW’s, but they are so different than any of the cars you own.

Also I think they sound like absolute garbage. If I had to go BMW, I’d get a 1M, throw on some bolt ons. Functional set of wheels, plus a grippy tire setup, and pocket the other 30k

if you want an even better car, the new gt350 or gt350r are the best drivers car at that price range, nothing else even comes remotely close. The Sound, feel, performance, and reliability are unmatched.

If you’re into collecting cars, get the 2002, if you want to actually drive your next car, don’t get a 85k 2002, you will be too worried about damaging it instead of enjoying it.
            I would budget ~50k for the E30 M3 and 30-35k on the 2002

Comment

$85k? Good Lord.

I guess the question is, are you financing it or can you afford to buy it outright? I have managed to save quite a bit of money over the last 10 years, but blowing $85k on a car would still give me pause.

One thing to possibly consider is an E30 M3 will continue to appreciate, but whatever chassis code the new M3 is (who cares honestly) will be forgotten in 5 years and depreciate heavily.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So with depreciation in mind - it might be sacrilege to suggest, but a Kia Stinger GT 3.3 Turbo for something similar to the modern M3? Suspension designed and tuned by the former head of the BMW M Division, 7 year factory warranty for peace of mind & cheap servicing.

With the $50k left over vs the M3, you could also pick up an e30 M3.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Do you want the E30 M3 for collectors sake and to just appreciate visually and in value over time? Or to actually enjoy driving when able to?
                  Because if you have a nice 318is already you literally aren't missing much lol.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Honestly the new M3s and 4s aren't particularly fantastic, in my opinion. Yes they are quick on paper, but to actually drive and own in the real world they aren't the be all and end all. They don't have the wonderful progressiveness and response of E92s which is my main issue. Directly comparing to the previous models the E92 is such a joy to drive and so rewarding to push hard, but the new ones just aren't as rewarding.
                    As a brute force implement yeah they're good but they also sound like a busted ass. DSG farts aren't cool.

So that's my hot opinion. I'd rather have a E92 over one of the newer ones.
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

BMW v8, you can never go wrong with the e92

Comment

I don't know what to recommend, but I do wish I have your dilemma.
                        sigpic
                        327is
                        325es
                        325es
                        318is
                        Fiesta ST
                        E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                          BMW v8, you can never go wrong with the e92
                          probably nitpicky but if he wants a 4 door he'll be looking for an E90, not an E92.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

good catch, I always forget the e90

Comment

I would go E90 M3, DSG or manual, they are both amazing. I've driven both E90/E92 M3's and an F80 M3, and while the F80 was faster, the E90 was a whole other animal.
                              It's very inspiring to drive unlike its bigger brother. Basically what I'm saying is if you want a car dedicated to having fun in, E9X M3's all day.
                              1990 Alpine 325is
                              1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X