Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a brand new M3 sedan or an E30 M3 and a restored 2002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325e '87
    replied
    Great post brenner. I’ve never been in a bmw newer than 1991 so I can’t say what you’ve said, but I feel it and I see it. Sometimes I look at e39’s and e46’s and they are nice looking and tempting for the hp but my proverbial skirt doesn’t really take flight. My wife’s AWD Ford Escape (2017 sport with the 2 liter) is pretty fast and fun but it sounds awful and the traction control makes it stupid and that pretty much what I expect from any modern car.

My son and I do plan to go up to the dealer and drive some cars just for fun so I’m looking forward to that.

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    I used to own a 2015 M4. Special ordered it new with all the enthusiast options, carbon roof, 3 pedals, mperformance pack, etc.... and it wasn't great. Its fast, its comfy, it is good around corners, took it down to the tail of the dragon and while it felt very large it handled nicely. If you want it as a daily driver its pretty good and fun for that.

My ultimate problem with it is that it doesn't feel special. There is no sense of event driving it. It feels like your driving a 435 with a tune. There is a bit of turbo lag, the steering isn't great (way too heavy in anything but comfort and artificially so), it sounds terrible and its freaking huge. I had a B7 RS4 before the M$ and an e92 M3 before that as DDs and both cars sounded great, were quick and just felt special with the high revving NA engines. I certainly enjoyed driving them a lot more eventhough they were slower than the M4. Maybe I just don't like turbo charged cars because going to a GT3 is significantly better than an M4 and I cant see myself every going back to a new BMW M car unless they change something.

If you need a DD the M4 is fine but i would say that a friend of mine had an Alfa Giulia QF and I thought that was a better car for that purpose. if you want a fun car I would take the e30 M3 and 2002 all day every day and never look back.

Leave a comment:

• Bmwdayz
    replied
    I daily one of my 88 M3's. I beat the crap out the s14 every time I drive it and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I've driven a number of new M cars and there faster but become boring. The connection you get from any e30 compared to new cars can't be beat. I drive my M3 in stop an go traffic during rush hour , rain and even snow when I get the chance. I don't worry that it's a collector because I'd rather enjoy driving it than worrying about something happening to it.

Just make sure the s14 is in good health if you decide to got that route. The biggest let down for most is they buy an M3 with a tired engine that hasn't been taken care of maintenance wise. S14's aren't slow in good tune.

Leave a comment:

• Downeaster1
    replied
    As someone who has both an E90 M3 and an F80...get the E90. It's a better experience, but the F80 is nice if you like modern stuff with comfort and technology.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    One thing to possibly consider is an E30 M3 will continue to appreciate, but whatever chassis code the new M3 is (who cares honestly) will be forgotten in 5 years and depreciate heavily.
    Not totally true, as the e36 M3 is now enjoying some of the popularity the e30 used to have. I suppose it depends on the time frame your considering.
    Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
    I think you already made up your mind...?!?!?
    agreed

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    Originally posted by Colt601 View Post
    Background:

I would probably drive the E30 M3 and 2002 very very rarely due to fear of them getting damaged and I live on a 2 mile long gravel road.

The new M3 I would care a lot less about since it isn't rare and has a warranty.

I would probably have a lot more fun in it (new M3) since it would be driven more.

I think you already made up your mind...?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• BECKSTER
    replied
    I would go E90 M3, DSG or manual, they are both amazing. I've driven both E90/E92 M3's and an F80 M3, and while the F80 was faster, the E90 was a whole other animal.
    It's very inspiring to drive unlike its bigger brother. Basically what I'm saying is if you want a car dedicated to having fun in, E9X M3's all day.

Leave a comment:

• Jokester
    replied
    good catch, I always forget the e90

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Jokester View Post
    BMW v8, you can never go wrong with the e92
    probably nitpicky but if he wants a 4 door he'll be looking for an E90, not an E92.

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    I don't know what to recommend, but I do wish I have your dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• Jokester
    replied
    BMW v8, you can never go wrong with the e92

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    Honestly the new M3s and 4s aren't particularly fantastic, in my opinion. Yes they are quick on paper, but to actually drive and own in the real world they aren't the be all and end all. They don't have the wonderful progressiveness and response of E92s which is my main issue. Directly comparing to the previous models the E92 is such a joy to drive and so rewarding to push hard, but the new ones just aren't as rewarding.
    As a brute force implement yeah they're good but they also sound like a busted ass. DSG farts aren't cool.

So that's my hot opinion. I'd rather have a E92 over one of the newer ones.

Leave a comment:

• ak-
    replied
    Do you want the E30 M3 for collectors sake and to just appreciate visually and in value over time? Or to actually enjoy driving when able to?
    Because if you have a nice 318is already you literally aren't missing much lol.

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    So with depreciation in mind - it might be sacrilege to suggest, but a Kia Stinger GT 3.3 Turbo for something similar to the modern M3? Suspension designed and tuned by the former head of the BMW M Division, 7 year factory warranty for peace of mind & cheap servicing.

With the $50k left over vs the M3, you could also pick up an e30 M3.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    $85k? Good Lord.

I guess the question is, are you financing it or can you afford to buy it outright? I have managed to save quite a bit of money over the last 10 years, but blowing $85k on a car would still give me pause.

One thing to possibly consider is an E30 M3 will continue to appreciate, but whatever chassis code the new M3 is (who cares honestly) will be forgotten in 5 years and depreciate heavily.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X