Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a brand new M3 sedan or an E30 M3 and a restored 2002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrAdam
    replied
    Buy the 2 classics finance the new one?:devil:

Leave a comment:

• WAM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Colt601 View Post
    Background:

I'd be looking at around $85k for either option. What would you do?
    I would sell you my 88 M3 :-)

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    E9x + 2002

v8

sounds good

looks better IMO

V8

eight cylinders

Leave a comment:

• f4tj0n
    replied
    I must be different than everyone else...

I've been daily driving my 2017 6spd M3 Comp for a little over a year now. I bought it 1 year old with <6000 miles. Since then, I drive 50 miles round trip, every day sitting in traffic. It's definitely fun and comfortable, but I don't think I get half of the broken necks and thumbs ups compared to my E30 that I only drive every once in a while.

I bought the new car because I was DDing my S52 E30 for a while and got tired of the tinkering, loudness and roughness. I am not saying that I don't enjoy me E30, but its just an older car. I call it a hot rod compared the the F80. Having the new tech and all of the "nice to haves" is actually pretty.... nice to have. The clutch is really nice, its cool being able to go to from mild to wild with a click of a button, nice stereo, etc. Yanno.. new car stuff.

I'm not sure if you'd be daily driving your new car, but I'd highly recommend going with the F80 regardless. The E30 M3 and the 2002 are both amazing machines but treatchoself.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Leave a comment:

• gwb72tii
    replied
    And the fact nobody is going to slow down, smile, nod their head, and give you a thumbs up driving any modern BMW. Every time I drive my tii someone waves and/or wants to talk about the time they owned a 2002.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
    IMHO

It’s way more fun growing slower in a 2002 or an e30 M3 than any new bmw
    This.

Not only are you less likely to get a ticket, but people won't I think you're just some sort of jerk driving an expensive car.

Personally I would do it the opposite way most others seem to, and get a slow, fun car for the weekdays, while having something blisteringly fast the weekends so I can give myself a good scare once in awhile.

Leave a comment:

• gwb72tii
    replied
    IMHO

It’s way more fun growing slower in a 2002 or an e30 M3 than any new bmw

Leave a comment:

• irdave
    replied
    Two years ago I built an e46m3 wagon. Complete swap, minus the fenders, plus Ohlins, Ground Control mounting hardware, Eibach springs, Powerflex chassis bushings, Clutchmasters clutch with aluminum flywheel, big Apex 18s, I'm sure there's more.

Eighteen months ago I bought a '72 2002 tii.

Four months ago I bought a '76 2002 with a complete e30m3 swap; engine, trans, diff, subframes, brakes, suspension- all of it.

I just sold the tii. I'm in the process of selling the wagon.

My recommendation would be to buy a 2002 that's old enough you don't need to worry about emissions and is NOT A PRISTINE EXAMPLE THAT YOU NEED TO FREAK OUT ABOUT. Just get a decent one with little rust that runs good. If you build that little M10, either with a 38/38, dual carbs, ITBs with fuel injection, they can rip. Or you can swap an M42 into it. But think about something you can drive and not worry about. Find a nice running car in good condition in the 10-20 range. Could already have a hot rod motor, LSD, 5sp, GC suspension... And it's cheap enough you'll drive it up and down the dirt road... And don't worry about an s14- they're nice, but a built M10 in a little car is plenty.

Personally, I won't buy any newer BMW. They hired someone from VW/Audi that completely attempted to maximize profits over long term car durability- so they just don't last anymore. Really want a new BMW? I'd get the new Toyota Supra.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    If I had those 3 nice BMWs and didn’t drive them much I wouldn’t be looking for another. That seems obsessive. Get a Defender 90 or Jeep Wrangler that you’ll actually use. For $85k you can get a nice NAS 90 or upgraded Rubicon.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Gonna drop a hot opinion here but my combo would be E92 M3 and 2002 tii or turbo depending on how the prices worked out. To me E30 M3s are too expensive for what you get and despite the whole eating its bearings issue I'd have an E92 M3 over that awful sounding current M3 in a heartbeat. I'd rather have a 2002 turbo than an E30 M3. E92 M3 and 2002 is a good combo of modern and classic.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    For a daily, I’d get an E90 or E46 M3 and a 2002 for variety. Like others have said, you already have a 318is and I don’t think the E30 M3 would offer a drastically different experience.

Leave a comment:

• IXSTATUS
    replied
    1M would be my choice.

Leave a comment:

• Spaz!
    replied
    Have you considered the E28 M5? It's a sedan, a classic, and it has nice performance!

Leave a comment:

• Luke_M
    replied
    I skimmed this thread so apologies if this has been discussed but Staszek's sig photo got me thinking.

Have you considered a nicely swapped e30? S54, proper interior with working a/c etc. It would have all the fun to drive qualities of an e30 but with a more modern engine and comparable power/weight ratio of an e92 M3.

For way under $85k you could have a hell of a car that should hold it's value fairly well especially compared to anything newer. If done properly it can be daily driven for sure. I've put approx 60k miles on mine for example.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    This is a hard one, if you are going for a new M3 get one that is a year old certified, you wont take the hit on depreciation and have a ton left over.

The V8 in the E9x is intoxicating, it doesnt really have much torque but its super engaging to drive. As a DD the F80 is probably better, especially around town, but not as fun.

I tracked the F80 and its pretty amazing, but its a completely different feel than the cars (and most BMW's of old) than you are use too.

Its a brute force tail out car, while it can be balanced, it doesnt really need to be as much, I think if it closer to an AMG drive style with better handling.

An E90 M3 would be awesome to buy, the only thing you need to worry about is possibly rod bearings, but I will say everytime I press the accelerator on the S65 even if I am not moving fast the sound is just awesome!

I personally wouldnt go for your first option because of all your other old BMWs, it does have its advantages to have a car that just works.

Maybe sell some of your others buy the E30 M3 and then and E90 or F80. Oh and you can fully defeat the traction control in the new BMWs, or on an M put it in MDM mode, it let's you get into trouble, with little slides without going completely off the rails.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X