X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Sad, saw this on the news a few nights back. I wonder if they know exactly what speed they were traveling at.
    Classic momentum and crush analysis won't work here.

Best thing to do is lean on BMW for event data recorder info. Not sure the year..but Germans were are tight lipped about this data prior to feds requiring it's sharing. So.. I think BMW will pick up support at 2015. The info is within the car. Getting to it just depends.

There are other systems in the car to retrieve this data from that do not need BMWs assistance.

The info is there. There likely are no charges. It will be an insurance thing. Buy a new fence,l ..civil.

It lifted and took impact at the roof. Not the safest place to take a hit. If it stayed on the ground, likely could have saved a life or four I'd guess.

Too fast for conditions will satisfy the crash report. Thirty too many or one hundred too many .....
    Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 05-25-2019, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Sad, saw this on the news a few nights back. I wonder if they know exactly what speed they were traveling at.
    It could be many things besides speed, as I heard they saw something fall from the car before it lost control.

That can easily be 80mph or 150mph. Either way hitting a standstill object never works in anyone’s favors especially when your rolling with momentum and have over a ton of metal, doesn’t matter how much skill you have, it’s all on luck and being wise. Think of your children every time you go wide open throttle on a machine that was built from plain old metal like any other fucking car, hundreds of connecting parts built by hundreds of sources down to the employee that painted your sway bar links company logo.
    If you have something snap , the car can be your coffin.
    You don’t always have to be the good driver, someone else can pull infront if you. That’s why it’s called an accident.

Have fun at safe tracks,
    that’s all there is to it.
    Stay safe!
    Last edited by Sonny; 05-25-2019, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonny View Post
    I wish I was smart, that’s fucking awesome!

I was just assuming they would catch like parachutes with the use of big signs and no holes for wind to go through. Not the pole itself standing up but the gigantic attaching flat piece of metal
    Not intelligence, just experience.

They do, but all of that information is well understood, so it is very easy to design around.

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    Sigh.....

I guess vehicle collision forces and wind forces are the same thing. I guess the pole isn't designed to a 100 year wind event. I also guess the base connection isn't designed to operate entirely within the first 10% of the line representing the elastic range of the connection during it's service life, meaning a fatigue based failure is of literally zero concern.

I wish I was smart, that’s fucking awesome!

I was just assuming they would catch like parachutes with the use of big signs and no holes for wind to go through. Not the pole itself standing up but the gigantic attaching flat piece of metal

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Would you feel Comfortable driving down the highway 65mph knowing the millions of huge signs are breakaway.
    Lots of wind and some years later isn’t going to go well in my opinion.
    Sigh.....

I guess vehicle collision forces and wind forces are the same thing. I guess the pole isn't designed to a 100 year wind event. I also guess the base connection isn't designed to operate entirely within the first 10% of the line representing the elastic range of the connection during it's service life, meaning a fatigue based failure is of literally zero concern.

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    I thought big poles on freeways were supposed to be breakaway, to prevent this exact kind of thing.

https://www.transpo.com/roads-highwa...ponent&print=1

Would you feel Comfortable driving down the highway 65mph knowing the millions of huge signs are breakaway.
    Lots of wind and some years later isn’t going to go well in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    I thought big poles on freeways were supposed to be breakaway, to prevent this exact kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
    I agree on pole rigidity observations. Why don't we build bridges that strong?
    Two completely different design philosophies.

Super rigid =/= super safe (or super strong in the case of bridges).

In all seriousness, it's a complex topic, with probably 200+ variables to consider between the two situations, with the largest being ductile vs. brittle failure modes, the difference in warning times (to collapse) between the two, and the threat to human life that both represent.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Riding, but yes, and I came out unscathed despite having a vehicle that would compare favorably in performance. Friends can't egg you on from a back seat that doesn't exist.
    I'd like to think that E30 owners have long since realized the performance disadvantage of passengers. But I suppose when you have 11,000,000,000 horsepower it really doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    If you own an E30, you are a survivor of some idiotic driving as a youth, guaranteed.
    Riding, but yes, and I came out unscathed despite having a vehicle that would compare favorably in performance. Friends can't egg you on from a back seat that doesn't exist.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    The occupants in that vehicle said a piece of metal fell from the undercarriage of the victim's car and a short time later the driver began swerving out of control and hit a guard rail.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    Just tried putting an M5 into the calculator for my insurance company down here for a 24 year old with no accident history, and the quote came back at $17k a year!
    wtf

I mean, I dont know how much that would cost here in the states, but god damn

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Agreed - In Australia we have a power to weight ratio limit for young drivers under 25. The limit is 130kW per tonne & while I opposed it initially, I have to admit that it has reduced the road toll so support it now. There's also a limit for probationary license holders where you can only carry one passenger between 11pm and 5am, and vehicles with engine mods are also prohibited.

Once you're off a probationary license you're unrestricted with what you can drive, but insurance is impossibly expensive for high performance vehicles until you're over 25 with a clean accident history.

Just tried putting an M5 into the calculator for my insurance company down here for a 24 year old with no accident history, and the quote came back at $17k a year!

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    It's not the 500hp that kills.
    it sure helps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X