No announcement yet.

Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck, if I had 500+ hp at my disposal in HS I would be dead, probably.

I had a slow as shit e30 in HS and I managed to flip that shit lol
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
      Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

They probably forgot to include a Rob option.
      I can't like this enough.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

It's not the 500hp that kills. I have 2 buddies killed in same fashion along with 2 other people in a Lancer few years back. And they just passengers.
        sigpic
        327is
        325es
        325es
        318is
        Fiesta ST
        E46 M3

Comment

Suxors... well, rush hour traffic will move that much faster at least.

I agree on pole rigidity observations. Why don't we build bridges that strong?
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

That's why I like my BMW 2002! You can't try to get in a crash with that and if you do, by the time you brake you will be in collision with anything faster than 20 mph!
            Very sad to see these lives lost and countless family members altered for life. Just like that. Very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
              It's not the 500hp that kills.
              it sure helps
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Agreed - In Australia we have a power to weight ratio limit for young drivers under 25. The limit is 130kW per tonne & while I opposed it initially, I have to admit that it has reduced the road toll so support it now. There's also a limit for probationary license holders where you can only carry one passenger between 11pm and 5am, and vehicles with engine mods are also prohibited.

Once you're off a probationary license you're unrestricted with what you can drive, but insurance is impossibly expensive for high performance vehicles until you're over 25 with a clean accident history.

Just tried putting an M5 into the calculator for my insurance company down here for a 24 year old with no accident history, and the quote came back at $17k a year!
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  Just tried putting an M5 into the calculator for my insurance company down here for a 24 year old with no accident history, and the quote came back at $17k a year!
                  wtf

I mean, I dont know how much that would cost here in the states, but god damn

Comment

The occupants in that vehicle said a piece of metal fell from the undercarriage of the victim's car and a short time later the driver began swerving out of control and hit a guard rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                      If you own an E30, you are a survivor of some idiotic driving as a youth, guaranteed.
                      Riding, but yes, and I came out unscathed despite having a vehicle that would compare favorably in performance. Friends can't egg you on from a back seat that doesn't exist.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        Riding, but yes, and I came out unscathed despite having a vehicle that would compare favorably in performance. Friends can't egg you on from a back seat that doesn't exist.
                        I'd like to think that E30 owners have long since realized the performance disadvantage of passengers. But I suppose when you have 11,000,000,000 horsepower it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                          I agree on pole rigidity observations. Why don't we build bridges that strong?
                          Two completely different design philosophies.

Super rigid =/= super safe (or super strong in the case of bridges).

In all seriousness, it's a complex topic, with probably 200+ variables to consider between the two situations, with the largest being ductile vs. brittle failure modes, the difference in warning times (to collapse) between the two, and the threat to human life that both represent.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I thought big poles on freeways were supposed to be breakaway, to prevent this exact kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              I thought big poles on freeways were supposed to be breakaway, to prevent this exact kind of thing.

https://www.transpo.com/roads-highwa...ponent&print=1

Would you feel Comfortable driving down the highway 65mph knowing the millions of huge signs are breakaway.
                              Lots of wind and some years later isn’t going to go well in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                                Would you feel Comfortable driving down the highway 65mph knowing the millions of huge signs are breakaway.
                                Lots of wind and some years later isn’t going to go well in my opinion.
                                Sigh.....

I guess vehicle collision forces and wind forces are the same thing. I guess the pole isn't designed to a 100 year wind event. I also guess the base connection isn't designed to operate entirely within the first 10% of the line representing the elastic range of the connection during it's service life, meaning a fatigue based failure is of literally zero concern.
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X