Announcement

Collapse

POST YOUR THREAD IN THE CORRECT FORUM

The General Discussion forum is NOT a catch-all.

Please post your topic in the correct subforum.

Technical questions do not belong in General Discussion, neither do body kit or wheel fitment questions. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary.

This helps keep R3VLimited nice and organized so others can more easily find what they are looking for.

Thank you,
R3V Staff
See more
See less

Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

    Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    Sigh.....



    I guess vehicle collision forces and wind forces are the same thing. I guess the pole isn't designed to a 100 year wind event. I also guess the base connection isn't designed to operate entirely within the first 10% of the line representing the elastic range of the connection during it's service life, meaning a fatigue based failure is of literally zero concern.


    I wish I was smart, thatís fucking awesome!

    I was just assuming they would catch like parachutes with the use of big signs and no holes for wind to go through. Not the pole itself standing up but the gigantic attaching flat piece of metal

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Sonny View Post
      I wish I was smart, thatís fucking awesome!

      I was just assuming they would catch like parachutes with the use of big signs and no holes for wind to go through. Not the pole itself standing up but the gigantic attaching flat piece of metal
      Not intelligence, just experience.

      They do, but all of that information is well understood, so it is very easy to design around.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

      A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

      Comment


        #48
        Sad, saw this on the news a few nights back. I wonder if they know exactly what speed they were traveling at.

        1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

        Comment


          #49
          Gnarly accident - M5 wrapped around poll

          Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
          Sad, saw this on the news a few nights back. I wonder if they know exactly what speed they were traveling at.
          It could be many things besides speed, as I heard they saw something fall from the car before it lost control.

          That can easily be 80mph or 150mph. Either way hitting a standstill object never works in anyoneís favors especially when your rolling with momentum and have over a ton of metal, doesnít matter how much skill you have, itís all on luck and being wise. Think of your children every time you go wide open throttle on a machine that was built from plain old metal like any other fucking car, hundreds of connecting parts built by hundreds of sources down to the employee that painted your sway bar links company logo.
          If you have something snap , the car can be your coffin.
          You donít always have to be the good driver, someone else can pull infront if you. Thatís why itís called an accident.


          Have fun at safe tracks,
          thatís all there is to it.
          Stay safe!
          https://youtu.be/LmRkPyuet_o
          Last edited by Sonny; 05-25-2019, 04:20 PM.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            Sad, saw this on the news a few nights back. I wonder if they know exactly what speed they were traveling at.
            Classic momentum and crush analysis won't work here.

            Best thing to do is lean on BMW for event data recorder info. Not sure the year..but Germans were are tight lipped about this data prior to feds requiring it's sharing. So.. I think BMW will pick up support at 2015. The info is within the car. Getting to it just depends.

            There are other systems in the car to retrieve this data from that do not need BMWs assistance.

            The info is there. There likely are no charges. It will be an insurance thing. Buy a new fence,l ..civil.

            It lifted and took impact at the roof. Not the safest place to take a hit. If it stayed on the ground, likely could have saved a life or four I'd guess.

            Too fast for conditions will satisfy the crash report. Thirty too many or one hundred too many .....
            Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 05-25-2019, 05:01 PM.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              Sigh.....

              I guess vehicle collision forces and wind forces are the same thing. I guess the pole isn't designed to a 100 year wind event. I also guess the base connection isn't designed to operate entirely within the first 10% of the line representing the elastic range of the connection during it's service life, meaning a fatigue based failure is of literally zero concern.
              Sure - except that in Australia recently we've had a number of high profile accidents through where giant highway signs have failed and fallen on cars, so clearly the design problem is not so easy... might have something to do with record heat and high winds in combination causing the failures.

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcMGAYFyH8

              Wouldn't like to be driving at 70mph and then have one of those falling on the highway to try and avoid!
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                Sure - except that in Australia recently we've had a number of high profile accidents through where giant highway signs have failed and fallen on cars, so clearly the design problem is not so easy... might have something to do with record heat and high winds in combination causing the failures.



                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcMGAYFyH8



                Wouldn't like to be driving at 70mph and then have one of those falling on the highway to try and avoid!


                It looks like if the car was going a little slower it would have catched air as that sign seems to form a ramp on the 2 lane highway

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                  Two completely different design philosophies.

                  Super rigid =/= super safe (or super strong in the case of bridges).

                  In all seriousness, it's a complex topic, with probably 200+ variables to consider between the two situations, with the largest being ductile vs. brittle failure modes, the difference in warning times (to collapse) between the two, and the threat to human life that both represent.
                  Was being facetious with the latter part of the post. Or the whole post really. ;D
                  "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                  -----------------------------------------
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

                  Comment


                    #54
                    I dont feel any sorry for them,as much as their family/relatives.... When you have such a powerfull car and go so fast,its like asking to have an ending like that... Luckily they didnt hit another innocent person..
                    Instagram

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by PshlosE30 View Post
                      I dont feel any sorry for them
                      You don't feel sorry for the three passengers?
                      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                      Q
                      :devil:


                      WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        You don't feel sorry for the three passengers?
                        I agree, I've done some stupid things when behind the wheel with friends in the car( luckily no accidents/injuries). They were obviously entertained but in no way should they be considered at fault if I were to have caused an accident.

                        That would have all been my own stupidity.
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

                        Comment


                          #57
                          damn, makes me feel very lucky about all the stupid ish I did when I had my "brand new" M3.
                          driving old slow cars is just as fun
                          OO=[][]=OO
                          @speeedshop
                          @mradams

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            You don't feel sorry for the three passengers?
                            depends on whether they were screaming "STOP AND LET ME THE FUCK OUT" or "WHEEEEEEEEEE GET IT BOI"
                            past:
                            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            current:
                            1985 323i baur (project to resume soon...)
                            2013 ninja 300 (way more fun than a car)

                            Comment


                              #59
                              The 710 freeway is full of inconsistencies and potholes..not the freeway to be speeding on. RIP
                              Transaction Feedback
                              Various E30 Parts for Sale!
                              Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

                              Current Fleet:
                              -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
                              -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by decay View Post
                                depends on whether they were screaming "STOP AND LET ME THE FUCK OUT" or "WHEEEEEEEEEE GET IT BOI"


                                Most likely first one.

                                Sitting as a passenger, even if itís your best friend that rallyíd his entire life, just doesnít feel comfortable at all once your over 60mph.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X