X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325e '87
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    True, but hitting the pole at 130 would explain the carnage & it's a bit crazy on public roads.
    Yeah. I made my son read this thread, he is building a 2.7i for his car, and I lean on him constantly. Do not race on public roads.

We all did it when we were young. I damn near blew up my dads e28, I topped out my e30 back in the late ‘90’s. Going 130 isn’t that big a deal on the right roads if you understand physics. If you sneeze at any faster than that then you’re dead. A twitch and a counter action, game over.

I love seeing people posting on social media “no racing on public roads”. There are some good kids out there. I hate seeing people die on the roads but I hate even more thinking about what could happen to innocent others. If they didn’t hit that pole and plowed into a family of parent and children I would really have a tougher time with it. Hell, I watch big trucks driving like hell on 2 lane roads around here and think “damn, I’m glad my wife is at work right now”.

Leave a comment:

• Ludwig
    replied
    'tis but a scratch

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    True, but hitting the pole at 130 would explain the carnage & it's a bit crazy on public roads.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    130? That is literally the top of 3rd gear in this car. Still have four to go.

Leave a comment:

• Matt-B
    replied
    talked to a kid at bimmerfest who knew 1 of the dudes and he was known to go 130 to show off

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Originally posted by decay View Post
    depends on whether they were screaming "STOP AND LET ME THE FUCK OUT" or "WHEEEEEEEEEE GET IT BOI"

Most likely first one.

Sitting as a passenger, even if it’s your best friend that rally’d his entire life, just doesn’t feel comfortable at all once your over 60mph.

Leave a comment:

• ScottSneed
    replied
    The 710 freeway is full of inconsistencies and potholes..not the freeway to be speeding on. RIP

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    You don't feel sorry for the three passengers?
    depends on whether they were screaming "STOP AND LET ME THE FUCK OUT" or "WHEEEEEEEEEE GET IT BOI"

Leave a comment:

• MrAdam
    replied
    damn, makes me feel very lucky about all the stupid ish I did when I had my "brand new" M3.
    driving old slow cars is just as fun

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    I agree, I've done some stupid things when behind the wheel with friends in the car( luckily no accidents/injuries). They were obviously entertained but in no way should they be considered at fault if I were to have caused an accident.

That would have all been my own stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by PshlosE30 View Post
    I dont feel any sorry for them

Leave a comment:

• PshlosE30
    replied
    I dont feel any sorry for them,as much as their family/relatives.... When you have such a powerfull car and go so fast,its like asking to have an ending like that... Luckily they didnt hit another innocent person..

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    Two completely different design philosophies.

Super rigid =/= super safe (or super strong in the case of bridges).

In all seriousness, it's a complex topic, with probably 200+ variables to consider between the two situations, with the largest being ductile vs. brittle failure modes, the difference in warning times (to collapse) between the two, and the threat to human life that both represent.
    Was being facetious with the latter part of the post. Or the whole post really. ;D

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    Sure - except that in Australia recently we've had a number of high profile accidents through where giant highway signs have failed and fallen on cars, so clearly the design problem is not so easy... might have something to do with record heat and high winds in combination causing the failures.

There have been scenes of chaos on Melbourne's Tullamarine Freeway where an exit sign fell and crushed a car during peak hour.Join Nine News for the latest i...

Wouldn't like to be driving at 70mph and then have one of those falling on the highway to try and avoid!

It looks like if the car was going a little slower it would have catched air as that sign seems to form a ramp on the 2 lane highway

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    Sigh.....

I guess vehicle collision forces and wind forces are the same thing. I guess the pole isn't designed to a 100 year wind event. I also guess the base connection isn't designed to operate entirely within the first 10% of the line representing the elastic range of the connection during it's service life, meaning a fatigue based failure is of literally zero concern.
    Sure - except that in Australia recently we've had a number of high profile accidents through where giant highway signs have failed and fallen on cars, so clearly the design problem is not so easy... might have something to do with record heat and high winds in combination causing the failures.

There have been scenes of chaos on Melbourne's Tullamarine Freeway where an exit sign fell and crushed a car during peak hour.Join Nine News for the latest i...

Wouldn't like to be driving at 70mph and then have one of those falling on the highway to try and avoid!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X