Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8's don't belong in E30's IMO. E36's on the other hand can rock it. Of course I've never driven either so what do I know.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I love the power of m6x swapped e30s. I have yet to drive one with non-scary brakes though :-/

LSx are glorious. Drove a Volvo with an LS3 and OMG
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        Forgot to reply about my experience with Honda engines. My mom had a CRV with a K24A engine that I had the pleasure of working on every now and then. I didn't care for the design decisions the Honda engineers made with that. The transverse layout made it annoyingly awkward to work on and the engine developed a VTC problem that was difficult to diagnose. I replaced the common parts that would most likely be the culprit (strainer & solenoid), but the next step in the diagnosis was to tear the engine apart and inspect the timing chain, which was mostly likely stretched. It appears to be a common issue with those engines. On a Honda forum I read about people who had to have their engine replaced at very low mileage due to a stretched timing chain.

There were other things besides the engine that left a sour taste in my mouth such as a bearing that is pressed into the end cover of the transmission. It eventually spins freely and causes an awful squealing sound. It just doesn't seem like the quality is there with those cars. I think Honda reliability is nothing more than an urban legend.
        We had similar issues with my wife's Element. That engine started burning oil bad at highway speeds as well. The single vtec k24 in the CR-V & Element seem much more prone to these issues. As well a burned exhaust valves & transmission problems. It may be that these are more likely to be neglected, I think my wife's car was not treated well it's first 60k by a previous owner.

We sold it & got her the e30 325i. We are both much happier now.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
          M30 is a weird juxtaposition. It’s an amazing motor in an e30 because such a broad power band, can be lugged down and r3v’d out to kingdom come, and it’s an easy swap done to death.

BUT, it’s a huge biatch. That lump really messes with the cars balance and you can definitely feel the difference in everything the car does. Not to mention there is some things that are huge PITA to do on an M30 swapped e30, like the clutch. And you do have to beat the sh*t out of the firewall to get it in there...

That all being said, if you want more power and keeping it simple (both positives in a racecar), then M30 is still a decent choice.
          I forget about the potential of the m30! Did BMW have to modify the firewall when they built the 333i?
          My Feedback

Comment

if you want revs and top end power the m20 is better IMO. Modifying an M30 for power doesn't make a huge amount of sense IMO as its not its forte. you have to work with the M30's strengths which is CI and torque and but it still needs the right bits to come alive on this front.

i'd rather a massaged M30 over a 24V M5x/N5x, it needs to look like it belongs and sometime less is more
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

M30 is more period correct - but the N52 is much lighter, makes more torque and has way more power potential. So it's more about what you like than anything.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                M30 is more period correct - but the N52 is much lighter, makes more torque and has way more power potential. So it's more about what you like than anything.
                M30 is like a big block chevy and a N52 is a All aluminum V8 with VVT and the works.
                91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  stock M30 is a bit weak especially for its size, hypothetically it has more torque potential because it's a bigger engine and there's room more much more cubes if desired. On some of the mild builds the torque starts at 200+ from 2000rpm and never lets off. Paul Burke used to be the man.
                  Power potential is probably about the same on a built engine as it has a big bore and can fit a huge inlet valve and flow essentially what a smaller bore 4V does.... Pursuing that too much distracts from the torque delivery as the valvetrain has some limitations (unless you get some radical custom parts) that will affect drivebility and lessen some of its strengths.

totally different style of power delivery though so certainly a matter of preferences.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I don’t think you need to beat the **** of the firewall to get the M30 in, especially if you put it in from below on the subframe. Going in from the top is tight. The 333i lost a/c or power steering- I can’t remember which, to fit into the e30.

Nice thing about the M30 is you don’t have to relocate the booster. What are the clutch issues you speak of?

It’s one of my favourite e30 swaps too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Which of these 3 engines would you choose for a swap? M54, M42/M44 stroker, or S14

Depends on the engine mounts used. In the racecar I had to the beat the firewall to mount it further back for a little better position balance wise and more space in front.

My Alpina B6, the Alpina mounts (which is what a 333i is) it’s mounted further forward, so yes, they didn’t bash the firewall. The radiator is a custom Alpina piece and mounts forward, and they only used an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator. No, they didn’t come with AC originally, but several were retrofitted.

As for rev’s, the 2.8 will grab rpm’s quickly and it’s redline is 6.5k. The M30B34 I’m putting in the racecar, is stock euro bottom end, ported head and will be running 308 cam with just HD rockers, redline will be 7000. M30’s can topend just find, these ain’t GM straight 6, still over square motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I remember researching roller rockers for the m30 and that there was a guy on the 2002 forums who was developing them but I don't think he ever finished. I was always really curious how substantial an improvement that could make to engine breathing and efficiency, but no doubt would be very expensive like the rhd m20 kit is. I just loved the m30 in the e28 535i 5 speed I had for a short while, and the Alpina m30 cars are really something to behold.
                        My Feedback

Comment

1. S14 in a 2002
                          2. M54 in a daily e39 530i
                          3. M42/44 at the end of a really long rope, attached to a boat

Comment

this is one of those threads that when it was first posted i figured it would die after about 9 entries or so. how it has made it all the way to 162 is almost unfathomable.

i think the only viable swaps today for an e30 would be an m/s54 or m6x.

swapping in the 4 bangers listed are quite silly for the reasons that have been posted above in multiple entries.

yeah...an s14 would be cool but it is economically irresponsible and unfeasible considering other choices availible. for that kind of money you could have an s62 and 400 ponies.

why would anyone go through all that trouble if you cant add at least 80hp?
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              Bang for the buck? I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would go through all of the trouble of a V8 swap for an engine that makes <300hp, has next to no aftermarket, and limited NA performance potential.
                              Preach.

I had an M62 for a while and it's just sad that there's nothing you can really do besides firing an older intake manifold on and buying an M60 to harvest the heads from. What else are you going to do? custom headers? $2600 VAC cams? It's a dead-end engine unless you intend to boost it, but I don't want to think about availability of pistons/rods/gaskets, or packaging a turbo(two?) with a DOHC V8. Exception being if you wanted 300HP and the characteristics of a V8, and one of them fell into your lap.

An LSx makes so much more sense for weight/power/cost/aftermarket, only downsides are T56 cost, and from the perspective of a semi-purist who gives a stamp of approval for same-brand engine swaps.
                              Last edited by Northern; 07-24-2019, 09:06 AM.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'd probably say:

4-cyl: K24 (assuming swap kit comes out for a reasonable price, and I can use a ZF320 or G260)

6-cyl: many options depending on goals/resources: M52, S52, M54, S54, N52. Probably wouldn't consider others.

8-cyl: LS scaled to budget, going from $300 junkyard aluminum 5.3 variant thru to crate motor. T-5 on a budget to versions of the T56/TR6060.
                                Originally posted by priapism
                                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                                Originally posted by shameson
                                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                                X