Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having run a pretty well-built M44 in my e30 for years now, I’d say it’s not a bad choice. Only 2 things I would change about my build tho. 86.5 or 87mm Je pistons with rings are only around $800 and it yields nearly 2.0L. Second, they do fall flat at 6,500 and it really needs an intake cam to make it rev to 7k and make power there. Aside from that, it’s a delightful, if slightly underpowered swap, and it returns 30+ mpg with my foot buried in it all the time. It’s not that slow however, it’s slightly faster than my workmate’s 86 325i. It’s a pretty cost-effective way to have a 170hp ( or more) 4cyl. Definitely go with all the late ECU and harness, it’s worth the trouble for the improvement in throttle response alone. And get a flash on it. That woke it up also. There are cheaper ways to make more power for sure. But I can roll into any CA smog station and pass without anyone ever asking a question.
    You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
    I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
    Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

S14 engine no accessories. Not sure if thats a short or long or whatever.
      American car guys call a short block the actual engine block with rotating assembly installed in it.
      A long block is the block, heads and intake.
      Euro people seem to have a completely different vernacular of what long and short is.

The engine weight doc I have saved shows the S14 @ 235 lbs.
      Using the same document the M42 is 220 lbs which I assume is in the same state and makes perfect sense that its lighter than an S14.
      That doc predates the N52
      Jimmy P.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
      92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
      98 318Ti Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
        Having run a pretty well-built M44 in my e30 for years now, I’d say it’s not a bad choice. Only 2 things I would change about my build tho. 86.5 or 87mm Je pistons with rings are only around $800 and it yields nearly 2.0L. Second, they do fall flat at 6,500 and it really needs an intake cam to make it rev to 7k and make power there. Aside from that, it’s a delightful, if slightly underpowered swap, and it returns 30+ mpg with my foot buried in it all the time. It’s not that slow however, it’s slightly faster than my workmate’s 86 325i. It’s a pretty cost-effective way to have a 170hp ( or more) 4cyl. Definitely go with all the late ECU and harness, it’s worth the trouble for the improvement in throttle response alone. And get a flash on it. That woke it up also. There are cheaper ways to make more power for sure. But I can roll into any CA smog station and pass without anyone ever asking a question.
        I'm in agreement, I like my M44 in my Ti and mine is not built.
        I have a lightweight flywheel on it and COP, ducted cold air intake like an S14 through the rad bulkhead and I think its a blast to drive.

I'd like to build an M42 with ITBs, bigger cams, some porting and 12.5:1 with that stroker diesel crank, put it in a gutted E30 race car with a good trans..
        Jimmy P.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
        98 318Ti Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post

Using the same document the M42 is 220 lbs which I assume is in the same state and makes perfect sense that its lighter than an S14.
          My point is that this context of its state and weight relative to another engine in similar state is critical to that weight meaning anything at all and should be mentioned when quoting the figure. Hence my comment asking if that's a short block weight because it's so much lighter than expected.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Isn't the s14 really a m10 with more stuff on top? Should weigh close to a n52 then. The reason people are bagging on it is it's hp/$ ratio is way worse than a m54 or n52. I think the s14 when fully built and money is no option, but for now I have to stick to cheaper ways of getting that power.

This thread really derailed, but OP you should be the first to do a N20 swap, that's a light motor.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
            91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
            Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
            E30 can make you, E30 can break you
            "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
              American car guys call a short block the actual engine block with rotating assembly installed in it.
              A long block is the block, heads and intake.
              Euro people seem to have a completely different vernacular of what long and short is.

yeah, sorry, those numbers you have are definitely wrong. a dressed M42 weighs a lot more than 220lbs. I'll bet you're getting your weights from here:
              BMW Engine FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Contributed by: Jared Robinson Horsepower quotes may not always reflect US Rating, If there are two HP numbers, lower HP number generally denotes US rating M10 Straight 4 cylinder SOHC 8V. 1966-1987. 83kg 180lbs Used in 1502, 1600-2, E21 316/318i/320-4, E30 316, 2002tii and 2002 turbo 1.5 (75bhp), 1.6 (85bhp), 1.8 … Continue reading Engine FAQ →

Which are all short block weights (taken from the ETK) and have already been proven to be inaccurate here. That N52 weight you quoted was fully dressed, in comparison.

S14 isn't crap, but I'd be shocked if a fully dressed one weighed only 240lbs. I'd bet money the N52 rotating assembly is lighter..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I found this page that shows engine specs and weights. They look accurate to me.

Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
                  I saw your thread about your engine build. It sounds really sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                    I found this page that shows engine specs and weights. They look accurate to me.

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html
                    Those are the same as posted above. Short block weights from the ETK. Not fully dressed / long block. And they're not even very consistent, if you start looking at them closely.

FWIW, the N52 short block is 120kg / 264.6lb
                    Last edited by nando; 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                      Isn't the s14 really a m10 with more stuff on top? Should weigh close to a n52 then. The reason people are bagging on it is it's hp/$ ratio is way worse than a m54 or n52. I think the s14 when fully built and money is no option, but for now I have to stick to cheaper ways of getting that power.

This thread really derailed, but OP you should be the first to do a N20 swap, that's a light motor.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Looks like it weighs about the same as M42, maybe a little more with the turbo stuff. I don't know if anyone has cracked the ECU or if there's an aftermarket management solution for it. SCS Delta say they've developed calibrations for these 4 cyl engines:

N14B16 Turbo
                      B48B20 Turbo
                      N45B20 N/A

I don't know what you'd do for the oil pan, etc. Sounds like too much custom work.

SCS Delta have been running modern BMW engines in engine transplants, race cars and road cars for many years

Comment

N20 is crap though. Unless you want an engine that sounds like it's from a tractor that also eats timing chains. :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          N20 is crap though. Unless you want an engine that sounds like it's from a tractor that also eats timing chains. :p
                          Yeah and it shakes so much it'll make the fillings come out of your teeth.

Comment

This has been a fun thread to read, I like seeing everyone’s opinions on the newer engines.

I am just an older guy that loves my m20b25. I would rather build one up to make good power up to 7000rpm and call it a day. I know its an old engine and all, it just sounds and feels so darn nice.

It will be fun to see what you decide to do. I voted M54 but I’m a I6 kind of guy, the 4’s just don’t do it for me. My dad had an s2000 for a while and it was really fun to drive around, but my gut still missed 2 cylinders.
                            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                              This has been a fun thread... but my gut still missed 2 cylinders.
                              I won’t lie, my ears definitely wish for an extra two cylinders.
                              You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
                              I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
                              Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

I retract my vote for the m54 .

M20 FTW
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                                X