Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    Hate = envy of the factory 9200rpm. :)
    why rev 9200 when you can get the job done with 6000....

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    Yes, do whatever makes you happy. There is a good reason to care about an ancient power train, i'd argue. It's a huge part of the driving experience having a period/manufacture correct engine in a classic car. Over the past 10 years of owning e30s, I could never bring myself to take out an m20 and replace it with a 24v. An m20 just feel so right in there.
    Addiction to god’s chariot since 2000 when I drove my first bmw; a e30m. I’ve driven e30m s14, m20 in eta, and raced wheel to wheel with m2025i, hardy and beck 327s, m52b28, s52b32, m54b28 Honestly the best balanced e30 was the m54b28 aluminum block engine because its weight was same as the m20. More power is a good thing If going for style though a m20 with long tube headers looks fantastic

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    Photo is my s2000. Installing a Chevy LSX or Honda engine in a e30 is a marvelous thing. DO WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY. No reason to care too much about the ancient bmw powertrain options when you can choose to have bald eagles in your engine bay or vtec unicorn farts. I’ve driven a e30m3 and it was quaint. But a s14 engine is shit compared to a f20c or a k24 or a lsx
    Yes, do whatever makes you happy.

There is a good reason to care about an ancient power train, i'd argue.

It's a huge part of the driving experience having a period/manufacture correct engine in a classic car.

Over the past 10 years of owning e30s, I could never bring myself to take out an m20 and replace it with a 24v. An m20 just feel so right in there.

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    That's awesome! Waganstyle, that engine is interesting. Is it from an S2000? Are the new poll options selectable? I can't tell.
    Photo is my s2000. Installing a Chevy LSX or Honda engine in a e30 is a marvelous thing. DO WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY. No reason to care too much about the ancient bmw powertrain options when you can choose to have bald eagles in your engine bay or vtec unicorn farts. I’ve driven a e30m3 and it was quaint. But a s14 engine is shit compared to a f20c or a k24 or a lsx

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied

That's awesome!

Waganstyle, that engine is interesting. Is it from an S2000?

Are the new poll options selectable? I can't tell.
    I don't see an option to change my vote, or select the new options.

As for the honda motor... I agree with digger

YUK

Not talking shit on honda motors, but I would never put one in a classic BMW.

and yes, that's from an s2k

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
    This is basically what I did. Swapped in full sport leather with a ski-pass rear seat, premium sound, fogs, is lip and rear spoiler and a crack-free dash. It’s not the fastest e30 out there, but it looks clean and classic. Plus it hangs with m20 cars and gets over 30mpg. Look, if CA ever scraps the Bar97 smog requirements, I will prob hunt down an M54. ‘Till then, my M44/42 Frankenmotor brings a smile every time I hit 7k.
    That's awesome!

Waganstyle, that engine is interesting. Is it from an S2000?

Are the new poll options selectable? I can't tell.

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    yuk
    Hate = envy of the factory 9200rpm. :)

Leave a comment:

• benz-tech
    replied
    My E30 is a daily driver that I use for running errands around town, so if I swap an engine into it I want one that is inexpensive, fairly reliable, and provides better fuel economy. I would also want something more modern with OBD2. So an M44 fits the bill for me. I think it would be neat to have a high-spec 318is (with the 325is options).
    This is basically what I did. Swapped in full sport leather with a ski-pass rear seat, premium sound, fogs, is lip and rear spoiler and a crack-free dash. It’s not the fastest e30 out there, but it looks clean and classic. Plus it hangs with m20 cars and gets over 30mpg. Look, if CA ever scraps the Bar97 smog requirements, I will prob hunt down an M54. ‘Till then, my M44/42 Frankenmotor brings a smile every time I hit 7k.
    Last edited by benz-tech; 08-24-2019, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    yuk

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Because I have one and I can swap it.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    I changed the original post a little and added more poll options including M30 and N52. You're welcome to change your answer if you've already voted.
    Last edited by Andrew325is; 08-23-2019, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    where da m30 option at?

Leave a comment:

• Kershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    The AWD must be pretty bad for ecconomy.
    3 driveshafts and 1 diff vs 6 driveshafts and 3 diffs. Yep, lol. But the traction increase is pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    N52/N54 is a lot better in that regard. I limped one home 15 miles with no water pump. The temp stabilized at 135c (lucky it was cold and raining). Never had any problems or leaks after replacing the pump.

They are designed to run at 115c stock, so I felt pretty confident it would be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Caperix
    replied
    The threads pulling out of the block is common if the engine has been overheated, this is the case on the aluminum m52 as well. Many have used thread repair tactics to repair this issue. I would love a n52 in my e30, but no off the shelf installation options has me leaning to the m54. The m54 is also a great engine but n52's are easier & cheaper to find used, all are 3.0 and are lighter with higher horsepower potential.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X