Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varg
    replied
    There's an M42 pattern G240 as well. Not sure how an M10/M30 pattern compares to an M20 pattern or M42 pattern, but I know the M20 G260 bolts to the M42 with a bit of an improper tilt.

Leave a comment:

• djjerme
    replied
    Different bell housing bolt pattern between M20 vs M10/M30.

G240 was behind the M10 (can bolt to M30)
    G245 was used on the early M20 (installed in the 323i - I do believe these also had removable bell housing)
    G260 there was an M20 version and the M30 version. The later M30 version was ribbed for your pleasure (though that may have been the non-dogleg G265)
    G265 removable bellhousing which could be used behind everything as long as there was a bellhousing for it.

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    I've done more than my fair share of research and pricing (calling local machine shops etc) and all options are coming out pretty much the same at the end of the swap. The s52 had good compression numbers before being pulled, I haven't pulled the head yet (might do that this weekend) but all things considered, it probably just needs a valve lap and seals. Obviously that may change after I check things out.

An m54 would be great too, but as I said earlier, I'd be worried about failing BAR for not having the proper headers/cats for the engine, and I wouldn't want to just take a junkyard engine and plop it in my car without at least getting the head checked. I suppose I could pull the motor and do a compression check, or buy a motor that's been checked but then prices go way up when buying from a salvage yard vs pulling one from pick n pull.

An m30 in front of a g240 is a pretty risky decision, I agree. I've heard of plenty of people on here running it as a daily setup with no issues but I'd be on the hunt for a g265 (I think that's the correct p/n for it, correct me if I'm wrong) in the meantime.

Either way I go with the swap, the entire driveline and cooling system needs to be changed up which is where costs start to level out.

this is the goal though, and I think I just need to be patient lol
    I always thought the early G260 worked on the M30

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    see above
    I've done more than my fair share of research and pricing (calling local machine shops etc) and all options are coming out pretty much the same at the end of the swap. The s52 had good compression numbers before being pulled, I haven't pulled the head yet (might do that this weekend) but all things considered, it probably just needs a valve lap and seals. Obviously that may change after I check things out.

An m54 would be great too, but as I said earlier, I'd be worried about failing BAR for not having the proper headers/cats for the engine, and I wouldn't want to just take a junkyard engine and plop it in my car without at least getting the head checked. I suppose I could pull the motor and do a compression check, or buy a motor that's been checked but then prices go way up when buying from a salvage yard vs pulling one from pick n pull.

An m30 in front of a g240 is a pretty risky decision, I agree. I've heard of plenty of people on here running it as a daily setup with no issues but I'd be on the hunt for a g265 (I think that's the correct p/n for it, correct me if I'm wrong) in the meantime.

Either way I go with the swap, the entire driveline and cooling system needs to be changed up which is where costs start to level out.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

you would be so much better off paying more for a low mileage engine you don't need to rebuild.
    this is the goal though, and I think I just need to be patient lol

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    obviously, the purpose of your comments is that you are on a tight budget.

judging by the condition you say the s52 is in, i would have to say that (no offense) it is a stupid investment. have you bothered to even price parts/machining/labor for an engine rebuild??????? the s52 is a parts engine. if you are seriously considering buying that to repair it, you might as well just give your bank account number to a nigerian scammer.

you would be so much better off paying more for a low mileage engine you don't need to rebuild.

as suggested above, buying an a nice m54 at a junkyard where they are plentiful for 250.00 will give you the same horsepower at a fraction of the price. there is no reason in the world to buy an s52 in any condition when you can buy a good running s54 for less than 300 bucks.

btw....i don't think running a g240 behind an m30 is a very wise choice either. what is the use of having the extra hp if you leave chunks of gears all over the pavement the first time you launch the heck out of the car?

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    starting from an M10 going to M30 makes some sense. its like big brother
    that's where my head was at until this s52 came along..now I'm conflicted lol

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    This is why I think I'm having such a hard time making a decision. I have an m10 car so any option is going to be fantastically better....
    The most cost effective option I have is an m30 swap using the g240 thats currently in my car, and I love the sound of a sohc i6, but a friend of mine has offered to sell me his old s52 for $100 lol. It just needs the head to be rebuilt.(burns enough oil to make me nervous about failing smog). M20 sounds great too but cost to build a 2.8 is intimidating and since I'd be doing all the work for a swap anyways it makes sense to swap something that has a little more power in stock form.
    starting from an M10 going to M30 makes some sense. its like big brother

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
    Did I say M54, I meant M52....;) They're very similar but M52 exhaust manifolds are better, so i've heard, I've never BAR'd before so I don't know how closely they check your block.
    Yeah. I've read that m52 manifolds work sometimes for smog visuals so might be good with BAR too.

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    the deterring factor for me on an m54 is being unable to use the stock headers/cats for BAR. I do like the weight differential that an alu block offers though.

Did I say M54, I meant M52....;) They're very similar but M52 exhaust manifolds are better, so i've heard, I've never BAR'd before so I don't know how closely they check your block.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    I originally wanted a 2.8L m20, but the cost to hp just isn't worth it right now.
    Yeah you don't get a lot for the extra 300cc given the cost. NA or Turbo.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Not having access to a 100$ s52 I paid 250$ for a m54b30 from pick your part. I originally wanted a 2.8L m20, but the cost to hp just isn't worth it right now. M54 is a lot cheaper (so far).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    the deterring factor for me on an m54 is being unable to use the stock headers/cats for BAR. I do like the weight differential that an alu block offers though.

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    This is why I think I'm having such a hard time making a decision. I have an m10 car so any option is going to be fantastically better....

The most cost effective option I have is an m30 swap using the g240 thats currently in my car, and I love the sound of a sohc i6, but a friend of mine has offered to sell me his old s52 for $100 lol. It just needs the head to be rebuilt.(burns enough oil to make me nervous about failing smog). M20 sounds great too but cost to build a 2.8 is intimidating and since I'd be doing all the work for a swap anyways it makes sense to swap something that has a little more power in stock form.
    Not having access to a 100$ s52 I paid 250$ for a m54b30 from pick your part. I originally wanted a 2.8L m20, but the cost to hp just isn't worth it right now. M54 is alot cheaper (so far).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    my logic is if you're going to swap an engine then you want it to be a significant step up (based on personal priorities) to what can be achieved by modifying what you already have installed using the costs to do an actual swap.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    N52 makes peak torque at ~2000rpm as well (thanks to advancements like vanos, VVL, DISA, etc). It's like having the same flat torque curve only with a more compact engine that weighs like 150lbs less, and it revs to 7000rpm stock.

I like M30s, they are old school cool, and tough as nails - but I wouldn't personally want one in an E30. Actually, it would be really cool to dump it into some old American rat rod..
    my logic is if you're going to swap an engine then you want it to be a significant step up (based on personal priorities) to what can be achieved by modifying what you already have installed using the costs to do an actual swap.

based on this i wouldn't do a M30 swap either if i started with an m20 nor probably most 24V swaps

Leave a comment:

• djjerme
    replied
    Honestly, straight 6’s in general across the board are beefy motors. BMW M20/M30/..etc, slant 6, the old blue flame six and stove bolt sixes of GM, the ford sixes, the mercs, the old Datsun sixes in the 240-280z, the 2JZ. Hell even AMC couldn’t screw up an inline six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X