Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    ...you forgot the people on board the Bring A Trailer hype train. Tooot, toot!

GRM went on and on about how rare and special the 318is is on instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's funny, when my 318is was featured in GRM's 3 series challenge back in 2002 they said the 325i was the better car all around

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves View Post
    Best bang for the buck: M60.
    Bang for the buck? I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would go through all of the trouble of a V8 swap for an engine that makes <300hp, has next to no aftermarket, and limited NA performance potential.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Don't forget the 83(euro)-84-85 m10's. It's a fun car - very kart like!

Best bang for the buck: M60.

Best old school upgrade: M30

Least bang for the buck: S14

"My m20 died I need a new motor - rebuild it will cost more than a swap" : m50 or s50

"I have more money then I know what to do with" Any M motor.

Leave a comment:

• djjerme
    replied
    ...you forgot the people on board the Bring A Trailer hype train. Tooot, toot!

GRM went on and on about how rare and special the 318is is on instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    From my handful of years in the e30 world here is the list of people who love the m42(m44)

1. people who currently own one
    2. people who own m40s
    3. see #1 & #2

:popcorn:

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    I listed the MM engine as an example since it’s well-known. If you don’t like their engines then build your own (or find a different builder). I’m sure you could make an M4x stroker that’s comparable to a stock S14 and it would cost less too.

Leave a comment:

• Codym42
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Interesting, I was looking forward to seeing the results after reading how they wanted to beat the M3. The odds looked to be in the M3's favor because the 318is build was just so damn mild. They seem to have highly overestimated that 2L stroker engine, which is rated at "170hp" on the MM site, and not gone far enough with the suspension, the Eibach springs are pillow soft if this is correct. Assuming the same tires between the cars, 170hp and mild suspension just isn't enough to beat an M3. Still down on power, it would need a huge grip and braking advantage to win. Or they could've just avoided the milquetoast M42.
    I totally agree with them not having done enough with the suspension. I read that last article and was disappointed that they went with Eibach springs. I've read countless posts on here about how Eibach springs on e30s are terrible and way too soft. It seems like Grassroots did their homework on the rest of the build but, I think they would have been better off doing at least a spec e30 suspension (Bilstein and H&Rs) or even a proper coilover kit.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by Caperix View Post
    The engine put down 143 hp and 130 lb ft on the Dyno.
    They certainly aren't overdelivering on that 170bhp claim then. Definitely not enough to deliver on Classic Motorsports' hope of "embarrassing" the M3.

I'm kinda disappointed, because I have no doubts after following the articles that for what they spent on modding that car you could easily build a streetable E30 that will outpace an E30 M3 on the track. If you go through what they published, $500 on springs and swaybars, $560 on konis, $400 on a diff, $419 on camber plates, $400 on powerflex bushings, $115 on short shifter, $110 on SS brake lines, ??? on steering rack, $2,020 on wheels, $7,500 for the engine. It all sounds pretty par for the course until you get to that $7,500 for 170hp and $2,020 on wheels part. Switch those out for $800 on some RPF1s and whatever an M52B28 with bolt ons and S52 cams costs and you've got that M3 by the short hairs for a hell of a lot less.

Off topic, I know. The whole MM being bad for $/hp is beat to death by now in this thread.
    Last edited by varg; 07-17-2019, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Caperix
    replied
    Both cars were on Bridgestone direzza dz102 according to the article. The engine put down 143 hp and 130 lb ft on the Dyno.

Leave a comment:

• word is bond
    replied
    Did they put on proper tires for the head-to-head? It looks like they shelled out for BBS RG-Fs (at $500/wheel), but then put on Vredestein Sport-trac5s? Which looks like a pretty cheap and mediocre tire. A lot of really strange choices for that GRM build...

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    MM make some great parts and the quality seems to be very good in that they generally use quality materials, processes with good machining etc, but their engine combinations simply just dont work anywhere near as well as they could. far too much emphasis on smooth idle and emissions and they are a dog as a result poor specific hp and specific torque on the dyno. the recipe for top performing engine hasn't changed in the last 70+ years, its actually not difficult at all.

A NA M42 just needs some cubes, compression, proper head/induction work, tuned headers, proper cams and tuning. choose the parts that work together to be more than just the sum of the individual parts (its always about the combination of parts not how much $$$ are spent)

The MM headwork and cam specs leave alot to be desired and its the same on all their m20, m30 etc and since almost all the power is in the induction side and cam if that's wrong the whole engine under performs
    Last edited by digger; 07-16-2019, 09:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Interesting, I was looking forward to seeing the results after reading how they wanted to beat the M3. The odds looked to be in the M3's favor because the 318is build was just so damn mild. They seem to have highly overestimated that 2L stroker engine, which is rated at "170hp" on the MM site, and not gone far enough with the suspension, the Eibach springs are pillow soft if this is correct. Assuming the same tires between the cars, 170hp and mild suspension just isn't enough to beat an M3. Still down on power, it would need a huge grip and braking advantage to win. Or they could've just avoided the milquetoast M42.
    Last edited by varg; 07-16-2019, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    That's because a $10k MM built M42 realistically puts down less WHP than a stock M20B25. :(

Leave a comment:

• Caperix
    replied
    This months issue of grassroots motorsports they do a track comparison of a 318is they rebuilt using a metric mechanic stroker engine & a stock e30 m3. The m3 was a few seconds a lap faster around vir and all the testers preferred the m3 even on the street.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien View Post
    expand on this, i'm curious to hear it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X