Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djjerme
    replied
    Which of these 3 engines would you choose for a swap? M54, M42/M44 stroker, or S14

Yup. It’s a little old school mentality when everyone “knew” that camel hump fuelie heads were worth 30+ horsepower. Back when people would walk around claiming 300hp but put it on a dyno and you’re lucky if you threw down 150.

Somewhere I have the dyno results of the MM 2.5 Rally S14 here in PDX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    I don't trust anything MM posts for hp. I have yet to see a MM engine actually put down on a dyno what they claim.
    I don't know anyone who has a Metric Mechanic engine but it usually seems that engine builders can't stop crowing about dyno results and proudly display their SAE gross engine dyno plots and MM refuses to publish anything but numbers.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Yeah, I don't have an MM engine, but I built mine with their parts - it's been reliable, but the HP claims are BS.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    I don't trust anything MM posts for hp. I have yet to see a MM engine actually put down on a dyno what they claim. Know of two local guys that are still bitter about their MM motors actual numbers.
    truth spoken

Leave a comment:

• djjerme
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    Metric Mechanic 2100 Rally
    I don't trust anything MM posts for hp. I have yet to see a MM engine actually put down on a dyno what they claim. Know of two local guys that are still bitter about their MM motors actual numbers.

So long story short - M54.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Alloy block M52s are extremely rare here.
    Not really. There are 2 pages of listings for Z3 2.8 engines on car-part.com at auto wreckers around the country and 7 with under 100k miles. Plenty of salvage part cars too at the various auctions.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post
    Why the M54> the M52? Isnt the M52 real easy to swap?
    That's a good point. The M52 is right in there. Pretty close to the stock S14 by the numbers. I guess I should have just labeled that poll option as "Alloy block M5x".

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    We seem to be getting engine sound and exhaust sound mixed up. The exhaust sound on the built M20 in that video sounds awful. Maybe the engine sounds lovely, but you can't hear it becomes it's enveloped in the exhaust sound. IMO the S54 engine sound is very nice and that's what I was referring to, but I've heard very awful sounding exhaust on S54 cars. I can't hear the M20 much in my car. It's not a loud engine the way it is and combined with sound deadening and the stock exhaust it doesn't sound like much, so I agree there that it sounds lovely (or rather the lack of annoying exhaust sound is lovely.)

The sound of that race S14 is beyond lovely.
    Last edited by Andrew325is; 07-14-2019, 11:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Alloy block M52s are extremely rare here.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    alloy block m52 with S52 crank would probqbly be acceptable. Still has the povo spec vanos though
    Last edited by digger; 07-14-2019, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Because it's heavy, underpowered and really old. If you're fine with a 200k junkyard swap, good for you..

Leave a comment:

• Slybeanx
    replied
    Why the M54> the M52? Isnt the M52 real easy to swap?

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    Race s14's are atleast 25-30k. And p60 is non existent, you'd be better off getting a Juud V8.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    most s54 where you hear the exhaust sound rubbish, the S52 even worse, i am not sure the m20 is any better TBH. all of them sound better with quieter exhausts.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    If you guys are making a case for engine sound, obviously you are all too young to not have ever heard a race S14.

There isnt a better sounding engine than "maybe" the P60B40.

Onboard im BMW M3 E30 beim AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix 2013.Vielen Dank an Jonathan Cecotto!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X