Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325e '87
    replied
    Originally posted by agent View Post
    :loco:
    Hahaha, I don’t think I’ve been hanging around here long enough to call anyone crazy but I’m sure glad you and Austin didn’t let that comment slide.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    The exhaust on my 330i is completely stock. Somebody gave me a mid pipe (no cats) - I thought about it for like 10 minutes, realized I'd have to cut stuff, and was like, nahhh. I'll save it for the E30.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    24v exhaust is pretty raspy, yeah. I do think M20s sound better overall. Actually, I don't really like loud exhausts at all - induction noise is where it's at IMO. The S54 with the CSL airbox is the best sound ever (except maybe the S70 V12).

The popular mod with new BMWs is muffler deletes. Literally, people cut off the muffler on their mom's old 328i. It sounds horrible, probably what people are thinking of when they say the newer cars sound like crap. Then they pay extra for a tune that makes them backfire, or if it's new enough, to "enhance" the fake engine sounds coming through the speakers. God, BMW sucks these days...
    Agreed, that is why I love my S65 the induction noise is intoxicating!

The S54 with an xpipe removes all the rasp.

Everyone thought I was crazy putting in an E36 M3 exhaust with my swap thinking it would be too quiet, I think its perfect, quiet when at idle and normal speeds and wakes up very nicely when punched.

I also dont like loud exhausts. Getting old:)

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    24v exhaust is pretty raspy, yeah. I do think M20s sound better overall. Actually, I don't really like loud exhausts at all - induction noise is where it's at IMO.
    The older I get, the more I agree with you on the loud exhaust part.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    Do you get any chatter and excessive vibration with the lightweight flywheel?
    Chatter I dont experience.
    There was very little change in vibration with stock driveline mounts, but those are so mushy.
    When I went to the E21 trans and Bimmerworld Gruppe N engine mounts, yeah if got pretty rowdy.
    I personally dont care much about that much, I have a pretty high tolerance for NVH if the car is fun to drive.
    With the lightweight flywheel, stiff mounts and stiff bushings throughout the suspension its like a go kart.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    24v exhaust is pretty raspy, yeah. I do think M20s sound better overall. Actually, I don't really like loud exhausts at all - induction noise is where it's at IMO. The S54 with the CSL airbox is the best sound ever (except maybe the S70 V12).

The popular mod with new BMWs is muffler deletes. Literally, people cut off the muffler on their mom's old 328i. It sounds horrible, probably what people are thinking of when they say the newer cars sound like crap. Then they pay extra for a tune that makes them backfire, or if it's new enough, to "enhance" the fake engine sounds coming through the speakers. God, BMW sucks these days...

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    The shop next door to me builds race cars and dyno tunes them all day long. Not a great noise, IMO

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by e30austin View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with all of this, bud.

M20 makes beautiful, beautiful noises, especially at 6500rpm. M54 isn't a bad sounding engine, but the M20 wins - all day long.

S54 is a horrible sounding engine; if you don't like rasp, i'm not sure how you like the sounds of an S54.
    You’ve got to be kidding me, haha. The S54 on the dyno to 8,000 RPMs sounds glorious.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
    I know you guys dont like the M42 / M44, but an 8lb flywheel with a light clutch is a game changer on an M44, I assume the same on an M42.
    Similar to CodyM42, my M44 has 217K on it, gets 32 MPG at 90 mph on the highway and uses less oil than my E46 325T with 1/2 the miles.
    Im ok with it for what it supposed to do, just general driving around. Its not super sporty, but the lightweight flywheel is a real character changer along with some stiffer driveline mounts. Feels a bit more like a sportscar now.
    Do you get any chatter and excessive vibration with the lightweight flywheel?

Leave a comment:

• E30 Wagen
    replied
    I still think it boils down to what car you're starting with and what you're going to use it for. If you've got a slicktop 318is then I'd say definitely stick with the m42/m44. Delete the A/C, PS, and all the SRS crap and you've got a lightweight weekend warrior that's a ton of fun to drive at the limit. How cheaply can you source all the parts for a stroker build? Compare that with the cost of any worthwhile 24v swap and it's probably not far off?? I don't know. And for me I think less about power:weight ratios and more about how easy it is and how much space a bunch of swap parts are going to take up in my garage, and then having to get rid of the old engine.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    id say m42 stroker but done properly i.e. 200whp ish not 200 bhp

maybe a bit smaller cam than this one though....

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    I think it sounds awful, at least that rasp. M54 sounds so much better than an M20... M44 sounds better too IMO. (S54 sounds the best of course)
    Gonna have to disagree with all of this, bud.

M20 makes beautiful, beautiful noises, especially at 6500rpm. M54 isn't a bad sounding engine, but the M20 wins - all day long.

S54 is a horrible sounding engine; if you don't like rasp, i'm not sure how you like the sounds of an S54.

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    I think it sounds awful, at least that rasp. M54 sounds so much better than an M20... M44 sounds better too IMO.
    :loco:

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    I know you guys dont like the M42 / M44, but an 8lb flywheel with a light clutch is a game changer on an M44, I assume the same on an M42.
    Similar to CodyM42, my M44 has 217K on it, gets 32 MPG at 90 mph on the highway and uses less oil than my E46 325T with 1/2 the miles.
    Im ok with it for what it supposed to do, just general driving around. Its not super sporty, but the lightweight flywheel is a real character changer along with some stiffer driveline mounts. Feels a bit more like a sportscar now.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
    Yes, the Honda B16 and B18 engines are impressive to me as well. In the '90s the m42 was comparable to other Japanese 4 cylinders in terms of power. The SR20DE found in the Sentra SE-R and NX2000 made 140 hp and that was even a 2 liter. The 1.8L in the Isuzu Impulse and Storm GSI made 140hp. Honda was on a different level back then. I would love to own an EM1 or GS-R.
    Right, proving my point, the M42 compares with average late '80s/early '90s 4 cylinders, not with good ones. Ergo, it is not a good engine, it is about average. Just with some critical flaws. You know you're not in good company when you have to stoop to a Sentra or an Isuzu to compare favorably. Remember that the engine we're talking about came in a car that cost $21,000 new, and that SE-R was about half the price and... it was a Nissan :giggle: The Honda was also close to half the price, and somehow managed to be powered by an engine that was superior in every measure and revered to this day as the beginning of a legendary line.

BMW knew how to make a good engine, we all know them. M42? Not one of the hits.

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
    Also the reason they rev like shit is the 26lb dual mass flywheel!!!
    Yeah that big chunk is definitely partially responsible for its lackluster throttle response. Even with the M20 clutch setup you just won't find the M42 particularly responsive for a small I4 though.

Honda engines are transverse and have some really crappy engineering designs. I’d take a slightly less powerful BMW engine any day.
    Care to elaborate? Especially in light of how many well known flaws the M42 we're discussing has it's interesting that you'd call honda engines flawed in comparison. As far as 4 cylinders go, Honda's are universally acknowledged to be among the best out there.
    Last edited by varg; 07-13-2019, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X