Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tisoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
    My 318is is getting a m54, I've done the mental gymnastics in my purists head it that its ok to swap a 318is as long as it's a late DOHC motor. Because the M42 is in the family of the M5x motors. M20, M10, and S14 really are the old architecture.

Also forum member hoveringuy made good power with his mega squirt m54.
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=320713
    I have no ragrets 24v swapping my 318is. The M42 makes mediocre power for the expense of upkeep (think timing components, & now Cam gears are NLA). I really don’t care about having perfect balance either, the car isn’t tracked. It handles well enough for my needs, iron block & all.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_S
    replied
    M54. My car came with an M42 which was mehhhhh. S14 might be a fantastic engine but are ruinously expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    N52 isn’t on the list because it requires too much custom work. These 3 engines are easy to put in an E30 using off-the-shelf parts. In regards to DBW on the M54, there’s no reason to delete it. The electronic pedal is easy to install and I believe it gives a nicer experience than the cable throttle.

Also, let’s assume the E30 you’re putting this into doesn’t have an engine. There’s this weird purist thing going on where people think M42s only belong in a 318is, and it seems people either love them or hate them and those who hate them seem to be very vocal about it. It’s very odd. Kinda thinking I should stick an M42 into my 325is just so people can hate on it. :)
    My 318is is getting a m54, I've done the mental gymnastics in my purists head it that its ok to swap a 318is as long as it's a late DOHC motor. Because the M42 is in the family of the M5x motors. M20, M10, and S14 really are the old architecture.

Also forum member hoveringuy made good power with his mega squirt m54.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    N52 isn’t on the list because it requires too much custom work. These 3 engines are easy to put in an E30 using off-the-shelf parts. In regards to DBW on the M54, there’s no reason to delete it. The electronic pedal is easy to install and I believe it gives a nicer experience than the cable throttle.

Also, let’s assume the E30 you’re putting this into doesn’t have an engine. There’s this weird purist thing going on where people think M42s only belong in a 318is, and it seems people either love them or hate them and those who hate them seem to be very vocal about it. It’s very odd. Kinda thinking I should stick an M42 into my 325is just so people can hate on it. :)

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    ^^ I noticed that....

E.

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    D: n52

and wtf you forgot
    E: Rob

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Can an M54 be persuaded to make 250whp without forced induction or monumental cost? If so I vote M54. M42s suck (had one), S14s are too expensive for what you get. Personally I don't see any point in doing an engine swap for less than 250 naturally aspirated whp, since any stock E30 engine can easily make 250whp with a turbo. An aluminum I6 is the best possible BMW engine to put in an E30, you keep the smoothness of an I6 without the weight of the iron block DOHC motors. If you're only wanting 200hp, M54 is the easy choice and probably the cheapest. You can avoid the drive by wire and OBD junk with a cable actuated throttle body and aftermarket EMS.

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
    ? I keep on hearing about this..my 2.7I does wonderfully with the 2.93 LSD and has less power than all those.. (maybe combined due to age hahah)

80mph at 2300-2400 rpms with plenty to go
    Your 2.7 makes great torque down low - basically cruising on the highway is what an eta is for. An M54+6spd will get you that and a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• E30 Wagen
    replied
    It depends on what car you have. If you already have a 318is or 318i with the m42 then I think the obvious choice is to simply build the stroker out of it. Personally I would never swap any 6 cylinder into a 318is or 318i. Swapping in a s14 is stupid expensive.

I'm no longer keen on m54 swaps because of the drive by wire conversion you have do.

If starting with an eta I'd just leave it alone except for a chip and 325i exhaust.

But if money was no object and I had a 325i, I'd build the m20 with roller rockers, modified head, forged 81mm crank, custom rods and pistons, itbs, and some fancy ignition and ecu.

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    Who is paying?

Me paying - the cheapest choice, someone else paying: the most expensive choice.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
    Have S14 in E30 MTech Cabrio. Choice made.
    That's sweet. I'd like one of those if I could find a fairly good deal. It looks like the going rate for a worn out engine is about $11k on S14.net, which is just silly. Here's one with 74k miles that was advertised for £2,990 in the UK last fall, so I guess it's still possible to find a deal.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
    Why is this a question

I paid 250$ for a junkyard m54. So that's 50-100x's less than a s14. The E34 oil pan is going to cost me as much :(. I have a m42 and spent a year reading on what it would take to make 200hp and it costs tons, and weighs marginally less than a M54.
    That's a good deal. Most junkyard engines that cheap are high mileage though. I paid about $1500 with shipping for one with 30k miles for the Land Rover last year.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    Have S14 in E30 MTech Cabrio. Choice made.

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    S14 if cost no object.
    M4x stroker for budget handling.
    M54 for daily driver grunt - no other engine on this list will happily cruise on the highway with tall gearing and an overdrive.

? I keep on hearing about this..my 2.7I does wonderfully with the 2.93 LSD and has less power than all those.. (maybe combined due to age hahah)

80mph at 2300-2400 rpms with plenty to go

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Depending on the purpose of the car and assuming this will primarily be a street car...I would go with the latest, most modern engine M54B30 as it checks all of the boxes and makes 230HP right out of the box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X