Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to see how much the M42 sucks, so today I test drove a 98 318ti (5-speed M sport). Okay, it has M44, so I still don't know how much the M42 sucks, but I love the M44! Whoever thinks it's too slow is smoking crack. It's quicker off the line than my M20 and loves to rev! Seems like the perfect match for the E30. :D
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

If you don't want an N52, then M54. The M42 is a boat anchor (sorry not sorry, but the power to weight ratio is just not there).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This isn't an N52 discussion though (although I'm sure it's a great engine!). M54 is great too, it's fairly lightweight, but a good portion of the weight will still be in front of the axle and it doesn't like to rev like the 4 cylinders. It was designed for low down torque to power the big X5 SAV. So I think it's at home more in a larger vehicle. For little cars like the E30 I'm beginning to think that little engines that like to rev are a better choice, at least they seem to bring more of a smile to my face, cause I'm still smiling after driving that 318ti.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
          loves to rev!
          It's a 1.8L 4 cylinder that revs to 6,500rpm and falls off a cliff after 6,000rpm. what the heck have you been driving that made you categorize that as "loves to rev"? Smog era american cars? Sure it's an engine you have to rev to about 5,000rpm to get anything out of, but you don't get much unfortunately unless you spend an insane amount on making some NA power or force feed. I know the M42 well, and the M44 is no different beast. I'd rather have a Honda engine, at least they make power NA and truly love to rev.

As for the MM 2100 rally engine, there probably isn't a more expensive way to go about making 205hp other than an S14 swap.
          Last edited by varg; 07-11-2019, 07:18 PM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with the stock M44 power actually now that I've driven one. Yeah, all MM engines are expensive. I bet they kick ass though. I mentioned that one as an example. Of course lots of people have built their own.

Comment

M42 is a economical motor when stock. But it doesn't sound good, is super buzzy on the highway especially with the 4:10's 318is have. And the cost for parts is really disproportionate to the performance. Check the prices on a timing guide or oem motor mounts, the only ones you should be using.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
              Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
              E30 can make you, E30 can break you
              "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Drove a 318i for over a 100k miles and it always put a smile on my face. New Haven to Manhattan five days per week. I vote for the four banger. With a supercharger being developed over on bimmerforums for the m42/m44 life will be interesting for the purists.

Comment

I've had an Eta, an I, and M42. The only thing the M42 has going for it is lighter weight over the nose. Its fun but like someone said above, the cost to performance ratio is bad. Then you add the weak points. Tensioners, profile gasket, timing chain guides, thrust bearings. Bags of meh.

Sign me up for either the s14 or the m54.
                  Last edited by amcp; 07-11-2019, 08:44 PM. Reason: asnwering the question

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                    AFAIK the N52b30 is lighter and makes a boatload more power
                    You missed the N/A part.
                    Try again caller

An S14 is just under 240 lbs
                    A quick Google on the N52B30 has it around 355 lbs
                    You were close though.
                    Last edited by JimmyP; 07-11-2019, 09:20 PM.
                    Jimmy P.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                    98 318Ti Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                      You missed the N/A part.
                      Try again caller

You were close though.
                      The N52B30 is NA and weighs 326lbs (Although there are places listing it at 308, probably without accessories.

So heavier yes, but still way more usable power.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

You missed the N/A part.
                        Try again caller

You were close though.
                        I want to say you're comparing the s14 short block vs the n52 long block weight wise. It's a bit of a crap shoot comparing weights of motors from online documentation, that said if the s14 is lighter than the n52 it shouldn't be by much.

yeah no turbos on the n52b30.

Also why the dick-ish attitude? Is it because you blew all your money s14'ing everything before you realized it's mediocrity?
                        Build Threads:
                        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I wouldn't call the S14 mediocre. If they were that bad they wouldn't be worth thousands of dollars. N52s are worth peanuts, less than M54 for some reason. Not sure why. Bargain if you can get one running in an E30.

Speaking of bargains, here's an S14 at auction in the UK someone might be able to a get a deal on. Doesn't say how many miles and no info as far as health of the engine like compression, so assume it needs a rebuild I guess. Doesn't say which variant, but maybe S14b20? I messaged the seller yesterday and haven't got a response. Might be a scam, but they've been a member since 2015, so who knows. Current bid is $2k with 2 days to go.

Comment

S14b20 is real, pretty rear from my understanding. Check out the 320is.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                            Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                            E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                            "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

My bad on the N52, I thought all N motors had turbos.

I'd love a Mag /Alu block for an S14,,, but not interested in the size and the added weight of an N52.

I can lift an S14 block w/ crank, pistons, rods from the floor to my bench. They dont weigh much at all and they are a small package.

If you think the S14 is mediocre, carry on with your grocery getter engines.
                              I'll take 'em all.
                              Most of the people that bag on S14s, know really nothing about S14s.

S14B20 is a 2.0 litre version
                              Jimmy P.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                              98 318Ti Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Shortblock? Because I don't believe for a second than an S14 is over 100lbs lighter than an M42.

Engine weight figures are completely meaningless without information about the state of the motor when weighed.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X