Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self-driving cars- the future or just another shiny toy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dessutom View Post
    Engineers actually DO have the responsibility to say "no" if a corporation wants to create something that is detrimental for the society. History again shows most didn't
    Good point. Sadly, I don't think it's taught in university anymore.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      50% of engineering classes are about ethics somehow. Maybe not outright saying "No" to your boss, but understanding that you have a professional obligation to not pull a Pinto.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        50% of engineering classes are about ethics somehow. Maybe not outright saying "No" to your boss, but understanding that you have a professional obligation to not pull a Pinto.
        Might be, they should. When university is over, real life happens and it's a whole new world. Formal education still lags behind and does not prepare us for what's coming after. However, loans and rents are not a good excuse for behaving unethically, not only in engineering jobs. Ethics is a luxury though. It's a vicious circle, in order for one to be able to afford it, they need to be financially stable enough first.

Comment

Are you an engineer dessutom?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            By the looks of it, it is a good strategy to keep ethics at bay, businesses do not profit from it and universities are always wondering how to catch up with industry. I more and more feel like people are just lab mice for governments and businesses, we more or less have always been, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Are you an engineer dessutom?
              Nooo, far from it, I am trying to be a (service) designer, went back to university recently and nothing's changed since I last left it.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                I'm all for the type of autonomous driving that is basically cruise control with steering and braking as well. Would make commuting and stop and go traffic much nicer.

Being able to have all the cars talk to each other would be a great idea, even if not autonomous. Imagine being able to have the car avoid a crash because of info it got from all the other cars around it.
                Both of these points mirror my thoughts.

Automatic braking (& lane holding if done properly) will only help to reduce accidents as computers don't get distracted or fatigued like human drivers.
                This would be a welcome improvement for me, as it reduces the chances of some idiot ruining all of my efforts with my E30 restoration.

--

I would daily drive a vehicle with as many autonomous features as possible, provided they can be customized and turned off at a driver's discretion. I feel the same way about traction control & stability control. If a few folks want to go "full manual" in a responsible matter, that should always be an option.

The overwhelming majority of drivers will leave features enabled, and improve safety for everyone.

--

All that said, as a driving & vehicle enthusiast, I will never part with my manual transmission unassisted vehicles.

--

Comment

i almost got rear ended by some lady that was looking for something
                  on her passenger floor. bring those self driving cars i want them.

Comment

The work car is a top model Ford Mondeo. It has features that i was quite impressed with:

- the lane assist thing, that the steering wheel vibrates and alarms you when you start to leave your lane - good for if you fall asleep. I think it turns a little for you too.
                    -cruise control that keeps a certain distance from the car in front - this is the coolest feature. so handy when driving on the highway, and especially on single lane roads where the person in front cant keep constant speed
                    -automatic braking when stuff is in front - because im an engineer and need to know how things work i tried this out, the car braked itself from 80km/h down to basically stopped without any user braking input to a parked car. Cool feature and would very much reduce injury from a rear ender. Although i did take an onramp turn a bit too fast one day and it thought that i was going to hit the outside of the guard rail, so started breaking itself a little, was a bit weird.

if new cars start coming standard with these features listed it would do a world of good from a safety point of view without being fully fledged AI. and i think its only a matter of time that they do, wasn't that long ago stability control was optional, now in Australia at least all new cars must have it.

Comment

Funny, we are going to depend on technology (autonomous vehicles) to save us from technology (cell phone usage/distraction in cars).

I wonder if this would be as much of a push if we decided instead to truly ban cell phone usage in cars.

Touching back on a previously brought up post about completely, 100% compliance; how is everyone going to afford this? I see cars all the time that shouldn't be on the road because they are rolling death traps - but if we all of a sudden, said "No, you can't have that car anymore and you need to buy a new self driving car." You can bet the various organizations will throw their arms up and claim racism, class segregation..etc. Unless you go to just a pure car share setup where then NOBODY owns a car and all of them are publicly owned like a utility...

I don't know.

Personally, I still enjoy driving, and still believe that the journey sometimes is just as important as the destination. Why do some people take the train vs a plane? Sure, it's cost somewhat, but there is something to be said about watching the world go by at ground level.

I'm just picturing a world where all the autonomous cars have no windows because that distracts from being able work on documents, play Minecraft..etc while heading to the store.

#endPointlessRant
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        Funny, we are going to depend on technology (autonomous vehicles) to save us from technology (cell phone usage/distraction in cars).

#endPointlessRant

This is a very good point. I also believe that before introducing autonomous vehicles, we can do better with educating drivers on how to behave behind the wheel and limiting their access to distractions in the car. As much as we don't like this, however, a future of autonomous replacing traditional driving, is coming. I don't think companies will stop developing this technology but they really need to do something for the people who enjoy driving. The affordability question is also one to take into account. I personally don't like the idea of shared rides, it may be selfish, it may be stupid, but I enjoy driving on my own and not carpooling with a bunch of people I don't know. That's what buses and trains are for.

Comment

Working...
                        X