No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, if there's one disappointment about this car, it's the lack of a manual option. That sub three second 0-60 wouldn't be possible with a stick, but that's not why people buy a stick.

Comment

ZR1 has a stick and its sub 3 second. Its sad, but the costs involved with making both a stick and a DCT is astronomical for the mid engine. So either take the 60k base car or have a stick. Doesn't go both ways unfortunately.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

lol - https://jalopnik.com/here-come-the-b...ine-1836462560
        cars beep boop

Comment

Jonny details why no manual quote well since he was able to see a naked one
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

that's dumb if you've ever seen the the way the cayman linkage works
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
              ZR1 has a stick and its sub 3 second. Its sad, but the costs involved with making both a stick and a DCT is astronomical for the mid engine. So either take the 60k base car or have a stick. Doesn't go both ways unfortunately.
              Yeah, that's BS. They did it 20 years ago, it could be done now. Charge extra for the manual if you must, but "it costs too much" is total nonsense.

3 seconds 0-60 is impressive on paper. But is it fun? How often can you even do that on public roads? My tired M20 runs people down who can't tell the accelerator pedal from the brakes. 0-60 in 25 seconds is probably the high mark in reality.

The problem with modern cars is not the performance. The problem is all that matters are benchmarks and paper racing, and tech that will be obsolete in 3 years. At least it's N/A, and under 2 tons... Unlike the latest BMW F-whatever M-something.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Agreed. Just to give myself a frame of reference I looked up the new 2-series......3660 or so. So the same weight or more than this car. They should be able to make that thing lighter than that - it's what, a hair bigger than an E30? I haven't seen one up close.

Comment

Then there are the practical concerns, such as where to put the golf clubs on the redesigned car. This has been a point of consternation in online Corvette forums. Mid-engine cars typically don’t have a rear hatch or trunk, just a small cargo hold in the front, often called a “frunk.”
                  They mentioned golf bag fitment during the presentation. Gotta appease the boomers
                  91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

I like it. It's like an alternate version of the C7. I see it not as the future of all corvettes, but as a side B to the C7. They did it the traditional way, and now they have a version of the car to better compete with the Ford GT. It's like the back of Lego boxes where they have different builds using the same pieces. I know there's only one part transitioned from the C7, but the Stingray name has carried over, and so has the aesthetic.

I don't think it looks like a 360. It's definitely a Stingray, in the C7 sense, but now it's more refined, and finally something you can buy without having to fuck your sister.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Yeah, that's BS. They did it 20 years ago, it could be done now. Charge extra for the manual if you must, but "it costs too much" is total nonsense.

3 seconds 0-60 is impressive on paper. But is it fun? How often can you even do that on public roads? My tired M20 runs people down who can't tell the accelerator pedal from the brakes. 0-60 in 25 seconds is probably the high mark in reality.

The problem with modern cars is not the performance. The problem is all that matters are benchmarks and paper racing, and tech that will be obsolete in 3 years. At least it's N/A, and under 2 tons... Unlike the latest BMW F-whatever M-something.
                      I'm just bummed that this car doesn't have a stick as the next guy. But having two transmissions is very expensive to manufacture especially since there's basically no one offering a mid engine manual box for a OEM to buy.

23% of all 2016 C7's got a manual.

If they had gone front engine on this any ol' tremec would do. This is different.

Manuals already have low take rates when its the cheaper option. I cant see outside of a small group buying them if it cost more.
                      91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                        It's definitely a Stingray, in the C7 sense, but now it's more refined, and finally something you can buy without having to fuck your sister.

Woo, Corvette aficionados everywhere must be celebrating that they can finally transition to their cousins!

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                          I'm just bummed that this car doesn't have a stick as the next guy. But having two transmissions is very expensive to manufacture especially since there's basically no one offering a mid engine manual box for a OEM to buy.

23% of all 2016 C7's got a manual.

If they had gone front engine on this any ol' tremec would do. This is different.

Manuals already have low take rates when its the cheaper option. I cant see outside of a small group buying them if it cost more.
                          23% of the market for a popular sports car isn't a small take rate.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm just glad that we are getting a mid engine American sports car that won't sound like crap.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              I'm just glad that we are getting a mid engine American sports car that won't sound like crap.

Amen.

As bad ass as the Ford GT is, it sure sounds like uninspired garbage.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                                ^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X