Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not looks like, is like.

The new Ram 1500 looks like a Tundrado F-150. The G20 3er looks like an Audi C300. The new Corvette looks like a knock-off of last-gen Euro middies. "Well shit, boys... this car was so long in the making that we just kinda missed that boat. Oh well, it's cheap and fast, though."
    1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
      Not looks like, is like.

The new Ram 1500 looks like a Tundrado F-150. The G20 3er looks like an Audi C300. The new Corvette looks like a knock-off of last-gen Euro middies. "Well shit, boys... this car was so long in the making that we just kinda missed that boat. Oh well, it's cheap and fast, though."

When government mandates insanely high fuel efficiency numbers like they do, car companies don't have a huge design window to pen up their cars like they used to. You really can only throw you specific brand's styling cues at a generic shape like every other manufacturer out there. It sucks that there aren't a whole lot of off the wall designs but it's hard to do.
      84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
      Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Not looks like, is like.

Its like you don't understand the car market, a manufacturer cant make a car look to unique, a example of this is the prius. A technically well designed car but looks weird and could never shake that stigma.

Besides all the Euro mid engine cars have looked the same within there marque for at least 10 years.
        91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
          I’ve heard the engine is so low that the valve covers are below the tops of the wheels, not tires, but wheels. That’s pretty cool.

That being said, I don’t really understand why they kept it a Corvette. Seems like it should be a new model but [emoji2369]
          My guess is they kept it as corvette because they are realizing that it needs to attract a different demographic(younger crowd) and the name is what bridges the gap.

Let's face it, majority of current owners are retirees and some midlife crisis candidates.

Comment

Z06s only accounted for 28.9% of overall sales last year, making the majority of Corvettes sold Stingrays and Grand Sports.

You may be talking performance, I'm talking usage. If you don't think a Corvette is soft enough for touring use, drive one back-to-back with a 21"-wheeled Carrera. The Corvette is cossetting in comparison. Add in the fact that autos had a 78% take rate across the board in 2018 (with 72.1% of Z06s being auto) and it's pretty obvious what their typical usage is.

The E31 840/850Ci were comfortable cruisers in their own right, with their 16" standard wheels.

Corvette will never be able to shake the stigma that they're "made-it-mobiles" for middle America.

Edit: Yeah, I'm biased as hell. I'm letting my bias control the direction I'm going with this. I just REALLY hate the way the C8 looks. It's like everything else on the road today: bland and a mashup of other cars.
            Well what its used for and what it is are two different things lol!

You could say 90% of the 911's are GT cars too because most of them just cruise around, but the Corvette is definitely not 90% GT.
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Pics of the first wrecked one are out on the airwaves. Seems to be a GM employee.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                Pics of the first wrecked one are out on the airwaves. Seems to be a GM employee.
                I figured thats what the bump was about haha ... I saw the pics. Front right smashed and the rear side of a SUV also smashed...
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

How bad was it? Are we going to see the first LT2 swap popping up on a forum somewhere as a result?

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

I have heard of some guy in the LA 240z community bought a C8 for a mid engine 240z. Or basically a re shelled C8. I cant wait to see all the cool swaps these parts go into.
                    91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Never really been a Corvette fan but always respected the Bang for Buck they provide. This one does the same thing but on a whole new level. I think its pretty bad ass car.
                      sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                        I have heard of some guy in the LA 240z community bought a C8 for a mid engine 240z. Or basically a re shelled C8. I cant wait to see all the cool swaps these parts go into.
                        It's going to make for some great kitcars.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Thesmokingtire drives the C8 on track. Looks smooth.
                          The all-new 2020 C8 Corvette, now with its engine amidships behind the driver, is probably the most significant sports car of the year. As part of Road & Tra...

91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                            Thesmokingtire drives the C8 on track. Looks smooth.
                            The all-new 2020 C8 Corvette, now with its engine amidships behind the driver, is probably the most significant sports car of the year. As part of Road & Tra...

I agree, the sound is a little generic but the car looks tight.
                            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

The C8.R Corvette Racing version will have a 5.5 liter, NA, flat-plane crank V8. It's gonna sound great!

Comment

seems kinda boring
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X