How much interest in a book on how to...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kingamr
    replied
    You could try what Wayne Dempsey from Pelican did and publish it on Motorbooks Workshop. your book sell alittle less as it's only addressing E30s but I'd buy a copy

    Leave a comment:


  • Quailane
    replied
    Originally posted by DCColegrove
    Just read through all this...

    One question about racing popped out.

    The answer is: I'm sure that a lot of this is not "Spec. e30" legal... Or from what I'd guess not legal in any race class aimed at low cost race cars.

    Of all the modifications to make a car fast, still today the most complicated and costly is really cutting weight.

    Like... When we talk strategic body and chassis lightening what we are really saying is cutting steel out of the chassis and doing so in a way that it is still sufficiently strong enough to continue serving it's purpose safely or is replaced with lighter materials that will do so.

    The other thing mentioned and this expands the answer to "How to ...Uni-body Car"

    I know how to do this and can illustrate on a BMW e30 (and Datsun 510s and 240~80 Zs but that's ancient history now). So a lot of what would be of value won't translate to any uni-body car.
    OMG, I want to preorder this right now!

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Just read through all this...

    One question about racing popped out.

    The answer is: I'm sure that a lot of this is not "Spec. e30" legal... Or from what I'd guess not legal in any race class aimed at low cost race cars.

    Of all the modifications to make a car fast, still today the most complicated and costly is really cutting weight.

    Like... When we talk strategic body and chassis lightening what we are really saying is cutting steel out of the chassis and doing so in a way that it is still sufficiently strong enough to continue serving it's purpose safely or is replaced with lighter materials that will do so.

    The other thing mentioned and this expands the answer to "How to ...Uni-body Car"

    I know how to do this and can illustrate on a BMW e30 (and Datsun 510s and 240~80 Zs but that's ancient history now). So a lot of what would be of value won't translate to any uni-body car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lof8
    replied
    I already know how to do it. alloy rivets and lightweight seat foam.
    just messin with ya. I would like to see some more significant techniques.

    Leave a comment:


  • ansonivan
    replied
    Originally posted by 2002maniac
    ...go over basic principles in lightening/strengthening chassis' in general. Then use an E30 as an example...
    This idea makes good sense.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    Hey Danny C, I gotZ sumthin for you.





    Love me now. You can do runs as low as 1 book at a time. By authors, for authors, I have a few friends that have published this way.
    Cool thanks Farbin... Perhaps this will happen sooner than later.

    I was looking at a few printers but they are more geared toward the photography industry and do mostly large page hard bound stuff...

    I was published before by the now defunct Pacific Motor Books but the guys that took that over are hopeless dicks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Hey Danny C, I gotZ sumthin for you.





    Love me now. You can do runs as low as 1 book at a time. By authors, for authors, I have a few friends that have published this way.

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie
    Would this "strong and light" chassis be legal for any club racing class beyond mod?

    An overall "how to race prep an e30" might do well, especially with the spec e30 & ITS guys. A "rolling shell for a street car" book, not so much.

    -Charlie
    i dunno about ITS but Spec E30 rules are pretty straightforward. Not much there that requires a book.

    Leave a comment:


  • Charlie
    replied
    Would this "strong and light" chassis be legal for any club racing class beyond mod?

    An overall "how to race prep an e30" might do well, especially with the spec e30 & ITS guys. A "rolling shell for a street car" book, not so much.

    -Charlie

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by kishg
    I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Holding your breath in general is a bad idea however...

    If I were to sit down and do it to it... I think I could have it laid out in less than 3 months...

    This isn't something I'm new at and like I said, it's all there and just needs sorting out.

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    Originally posted by AlarmedBread
    pm when I can buy a copy.
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

    Leave a comment:


  • LowR3V'in
    replied
    Would be interesting to read, but sounds like it'll
    take years to come out, if at all.

    Then wait to get a used copy on amazon.
    Last book I bought was on nitrous, worth every penny.
    Allot of these "tuner" books are garbage though.

    Leave a comment:


  • AlarmedBread
    replied
    pm when I can buy a copy.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by gearheadE30
    I certainly think it would be interesting depending on how much of the information was actually new or different. If it really was something special, I'd probly be down for it, even if just for the cool factor.
    Definitely different and not the typical empty out your car throw away the washer bottle and run with no bumper cores kind of thing...

    One thing that occurred to me today though, a lot of stuff requires pretty good welding skills... something I lumped in with being a good mechanic in an earlier post but I guess isn't necessarily the case.

    However... Like I said it is on the back burner, I start brainstorming on things and forget that I'm too busy to even tie my shoes.

    Leave a comment:


  • gearheadE30
    replied
    I certainly think it would be interesting depending on how much of the information was actually new or different. If it really was something special, I'd probly be down for it, even if just for the cool factor.

    Leave a comment:

Working...