Where can I find this bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I find this bolt?

New e30 owner, the car I purchased had a bad leak coming from the camshaft seal. Got to the issue, bad o ring. Cleaned everything up, replaced the seal and o ring and proceeded to put her back together when i snapped the second bolt. No biggie, got the bolt out nice and gentle. tested the threads with the other good bolt and everything is good to go. Only problem is, Im having a tough time finding a replacement bolt. Thanks for any help. (the pic is from google, but its one of those two bolts)

Try to visit a Fastenal location, just bring in the good one and they will match it for you.
    1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

M6x18mm

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

M6 standard pitch, M6x1.0x18mm.
        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

That's a familiar looking photo! Glad to see it's showing up in Google images.

Previous posts got it, here's the RealOEM link if seeing the diagram is helpful, it's part #6:

sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
          -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
          -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
          -1974 2002 - Weekender
          -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
          -1981 320i - Sold
          -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

you probably wont be able to find 18 mm unless you go to a bmw parts place the average hardware store will have 15/16mm or use 20mm and trim it. check make sure whatever you use doesn't bottom out and make sure there is enough threads engaged
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              you probably wont be able to find 18 mm unless you go to a bmw parts place the average hardware store will have 15/16mm or use 20mm and trim it. check make sure whatever you use doesn't bottom out and make sure there is enough threads engaged
              Even a 12mm bolt would be plenty. There is practically no shear or axial stress being applied to those bolts when the engine is running. Just to keep it from falling out is all. The ears break off those seal housings all the time, and many engines are running with only one bolt with no issues.
              Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post

Even a 12mm bolt would be plenty. There is practically no shear or axial stress being applied to those bolts when the engine is running. Just to keep it from falling out is all. The ears break off those seal housings all the time, and many engines are running with only one bolt with no issues.
                dont disagree but yeah depends who's tightening though and later on it might be someone else. non mechanically minded peeps have a habit of stripping or breaking things in the attempt to tighten things death.

Comment

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                  X