Brake Booster Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Booster Question

I am replacing the master brake cylinder on my '87 325is. It had been slowly losing fluid and the fluid in the reservoir had grown dark. I haven't driven this car much over the 3 years of ownership and didn't really top the reservoir off very often. But I've worked on the brakes a few times, which has caused me to bleed the system. I've topped off the reservoir each time after bleeding. I have also used a power bleeder, which may have contributed to the problem, but never put more than 10 or 15 pounds of pressure on the system.

In any event, the master cylinder was leaking into the power brake booster. I siphoned almost 12 ounces of brake fluid out of the booster. Some of this fluid may have been in the booster for a long time. I'm wondering if the fluid has damaged the booster. If so, the time to replace the booster is while the master cylinder is still off. A new booster is over $200, but I want to avoid having to pull that master brake cylinder off again.

Can someone share their wisdom about this? Thank you in advance!

Steve L.

why not upgrade? I did this and had great results

Comment

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
        why not upgrade? I did this and had great results

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...blow-your-mind
        on a m20?

Comment

sorry so late, but yes on an M20 , my friend just did it to his convertible and he is happy, prices are cheap for a complete e90 booster/master cylinder and with adaptors the breaklines just need to be bent or grab a bigger line and best as necessary
          Last edited by e30strokr; 10-28-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X