Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if BMW named its cars? E30 could've been...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad3
    replied
    they used to call it "Roppongi no Carolla" or worse "Giroppon no Carolla" but these are for those in advanced class..

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    like most cars with a 'Hemi' label on them don't have a hemi engine in 'em.
    Sure they do! Even the later M10 head had a TRIPLE hemispherical combustion chamber! So did the M20, and even semi-hemi PISTONS, for more powah!!!
    It's a truly meaningless term when you take it out of its original context, which was
    'we actually designed a combustion chamber, rather than just let it happen
    however worked out best for packaging' which was the old way.

Likewise, where did the term 'turbo' come from, anyways? 'charging' makes sense. 'Turbo' and 'Super' don't, really. Except as names.

BMW should not name cars. The Wurtzlerund and the FastenSchpiegel would NOT have sold to the '80's yuppies that made BMW what it is today.

t
    dual hemispherical

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    It probably would have had a stupid name. The Germans aren't very good at naming cars, they're better off sticking to model numbers. Look at VWs of the E30's era...
    'golf'
    'jetta'
    'passat'
    'scirocco'

And today:
    'tiguan'

Naming slow boring cars after winds... and made up gibberish.

Leave a comment:

• Aleman
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    They must mean turbo in the same way that the turbo feature on many old computers made them slower.
    Oddly enough, the Porsche representative referred to the PC 'Turbo' button when discussing the Taycan with Jay on Jay Leno's Garage. Either way, BOTH uses of the label are weak marketing moves.

Another option for the E30, the BMW Stallion? LOL

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    They must mean turbo in the same way that the turbo feature on many old computers made them slower.
    I'd forgotten about that one - yes, the good old turbo button on IBM clones in the 80s / 90s! When it was off it was meant to slow the computer down to play old games, but when on / lit up it would run at maximum speed - many manufactures wired them backwards though so the turbo button on would actually slow the machine down

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied

good....good.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post

I really have no idea.
    Good....good.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied

What do you think I mean?
    I really have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• packratbimmer
    replied
    They named at least one - the Bavaria. They couldn't come up with a better name, so left it at that!

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Have to agree that the Taycan model names got up my nose too... saying the electric has 'turbo' performance and the name now represents a spec level is daft.

Lol.. on my e36 comment - there were always a few models where the number didn't match exactly the engine displacement. I even owned an '84 316 with the 1.8L carby engine when I was in the UK. Was a good car with a 32/36 Weber on it :)

Leave a comment:

• Aleman
    replied
    They should've made electric cars and called all of them turbos.
    LOL - Like the stupid Porsche Taycan. It's electric and has 'Turbo' written bigly on the back. So bad, like most cars with a 'Hemi' label on them don't have a hemi engine in 'em.

I like the BMW Rapp name.
    Last edited by Aleman; 02-11-2020, 07:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Oliver

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post

What do you mean?
    What do you think I mean?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Even back into the 70s it didn't always match. E23 733i, E24 633CSi, & E12 533i were 3.2 liter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X