First e30, help me diagnose these things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First e30, help me diagnose these things

Car drives and handles fantastic, no leaks other than one of the hoses from power steering reservoir.

First-what is this buzzing/ringing noise?

Car has a few aftermarket parts, exhaust isnt stock, I forgot to note the name of it. Anyway it isnt important(?) but the sound comes from where muffler ends, right about behind the driver side rear wheel.

Video 1 is with the car just idling. Video 2 is after I stuck a piece of cloth into exhaust ends to eliminate some background noise. Did some research, I think its the fuel pump, wonder if they put aftermarket fuel pump, the one from amazon sounds like this one- the fuel gauge is also stuck at full. Wonder if the pump is causing it? Was thinking of looking into the sender sensor.

Second- Sorry for the bad pics, this is the engine bay towards the radiator. It seems that this side of the engine has 'wet' grime build up.
    Can anyone give me headstart in diagnosing this? Thinking of cleaning it all and go from there...

Last- What is this cover-up job on the center-console?

Last 2-
    Pic of the car

Thanks!
    Last edited by goalpost; 10-21-2020, 06:44 PM.

1. Fuel pump, no need to replace it, some are just buzzy, I suspect it may also be a case of bad fuel tank isolators
    2. Probably the valve cover gasket or oil filler gasket/spills during changes
    3. Not sure, probably an old accessory like a car phone or a mount for another device

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      1. Fuel pump, no need to replace it, some are just buzzy, I suspect it may also be a case of bad fuel tank isolators
      2. Probably the valve cover gasket or oil filler gasket/spills during changes
      3. Not sure, probably an old accessory like a car phone or a mount for another device
      1-I just hate this noise. Its really annoying. I read a lot about it since I made this post and it seems like various things could cause pump to do this noise. I think I am going to order an aftermarket pump and see if it helps. I may also need to replace my sender sensors and inspect the fuel tank for corrosion.
      2- Thanks! I am going to go ahead and replace the valve cover gasket regardless.

Comment

Congrats on the E30! MD E30's represent!

agree with rogue on the pump. Interested in finding out whats going on with that center console though. I'd wanna get it removed for a cleaner look.

Comment

Working...
        X