Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not arguing with you Chris. The site is going to be dead in another year. It's a shame James doesn't seem to be involved anymore. Is he willing to hand the reigns over to someone else?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Come on.. someone here has to of stayed in contact with James over the years. We cant let all this problems funnel down to one person.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I had some traction messaging him, but it didnt seem to get anywhere. I thought he wouldve followed through on giving me a little more control, yet that didnt happen. I even joked with him on his IG that he should sell me his E30 and that went nowhere. There might be something else going on that Im not aware of, but since I dont see him in person I cannot comment on that. Its time for the locals in PNW / Tacoma area to have some coffee with him and discuss the future of R3V
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

According to FB he is a partner to https://www.facebook.com/AccuracyAuto. Maybe a local get a detail and chat?

I can understand the burdens of life changing interest in wanting to keep R3V going...

I'm still for an optional subscription if you can afford to help support the place. Nothings free and a respect the time that spent keeping the doors open.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

It sounded like he was making good progress on moving the forum over to the new platform, and, at the time, that it would be happening somewhat soon. And we've heard nothing since. I agree that if he can't devote the time to it, that there should be a discussion on handing r3v over to someone who can.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
              I'm not arguing with you Chris. The site is going to be dead in another year. It's a shame James doesn't seem to be involved anymore. Is he willing to hand the reigns over to someone else?
              yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with you either.

That's a great question. There's things I could do to help, but I think the main problem is it's probably too much for just one person to handle. I don't think he wants to let this turn into E30tech but that's kind of what's happening unfortunately. Maybe there's stuff happening behind the scenes we don't know about? I have no idea.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oh, we're going to get tech'd, or so it seems.

Comment

James has to be over this...

That whole update took forever, then we get an even slower forum with no active mods to even ban spammers.. hard to believe otherwise at this point

2mAn is obviously the most active and takes the initiative to get the ball rolling on solving unattended problems, yet barely has any real authority.

Finding someone like that, who is willing to take the responsibility of the forum is what's going best.

Maybe our only active mod is down for that... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I think this rate, with an untended forum and a dwindling active member count, I would be surprised if even them most active members today will be here in another few years.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Since nando is experienced with web development, and has been a mod here for as long as I can remember, seems like he would be the obvious choice to handle the more techy stuff, and 2man would be a good choice as the main guy to handle the stuff on the actual forum. I'm sure we could find some more mods to help moderate as well. I have no idea if either of them would be interested in taking on those roles though.

I know a lot of people have had issues with the forum being slow since the update, but for a while now I haven't really had issues with that, until a few days ago when the pages suddenly started taking quite a bit longer to load, mind you I only mean maybe 20-30 seconds. It makes it difficult to quickly check the forum for new posts, and I can see why so many people have stopped posting entirely if pages are taking a minute or more to load. Nobody has time for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                      ...The site is going to be dead in another year...
                      what

Comment

Im a simple guy, if I was in control I would eliminate a lot of stuff that doesnt seem to provide anything for the page... I also a few years back now was part of the newly formed E30 group of the BMW CCA and we had big plans to incorporate R3V and I would still use that, but who knows whats happening there anymore. agent was a big part of that and I havent seen him post in forever either. I hope he's ok...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Someone needs to hack the site away and take control, back to our roots
                          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                            Since nando is experienced with web development, and has been a mod here for as long as I can remember, seems like he would be the obvious choice to handle the more techy stuff, and 2man would be a good choice as the main guy to handle the stuff on the actual forum. I'm sure we could find some more mods to help moderate as well. I have no idea if either of them would be interested in taking on those roles though.
                            the problem for me is I know how much work something like this is to take on all by yourself, lol. I don't envy whoever ends up taking on that role, and I think that's why the last update has been stalled for so long. Also I don't have any say in it anyway, James has full control over everything. The only thing I can do that 2mAn can't is ban people. I don't have access to anything else.

I could almost live with the slow performance if we could at least deal with the spammers more effectively. it's just not sustainable to have volunteers constantly playing whack-a-mole. That's likely a factor in why most of them have disappeared, and it's not exactly a turn-on for new members when they get constant spam PMs and the whole first page is completely spam posts.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nando what do you think it will cost to fix whatever is causing the site to be so slow? I feel this page has extras that are slowing this thing down. Who has ever used the blogs/ articles / groups sections? Maybe that can be something the r3v survivors can pitch in on to make it happen. If it’s a sh!tshow for one man to deal with and James is the one man who can fix it on his own but doesn’t want to deal with it maybe this can be our gift to him?...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

I joined here recently because I liked that it focused on the E30 instead of just BMWs. I’ll try to do a little bit by promoting the website on my Instagram. Every little bit helps I think. Hopefully the management/ownership situation gets sorted because that could help improve the experience.
                                I’m rebuilding an E30 I saved from a crack house. Follow along on my Instagram and give me some motivation and tips!

Instagram: @E30tweak

Comment

Working...
                                X