Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nando
    replied
    Not me - I avoid Facebook car groups like the plague. too much stupid.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    While we are on the topic, who (if anybody) moderates the Facebook group? There's so much spam in there.
    I could be wrong, but I think its F34R

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    While we are on the topic, who (if anybody) moderates the Facebook group? There's so much spam in there.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    nando what do you think it will cost to fix whatever is causing the site to be so slow? I feel this page has extras that are slowing this thing down. Who has ever used the blogs/ articles / groups sections? Maybe that can be something the r3v survivors can pitch in on to make it happen. If it’s a sh!tshow for one man to deal with and James is the one man who can fix it on his own but doesn’t want to deal with it maybe this can be our gift to him?...
    I don't think it's the server, but I don't really know what the backend looks like. I'm sure James did everything he could with the current setup to fix it, I think he even upgraded the server hardware itself which didn't make much difference. It could be the bloat, it could be just this version of VBB - I don't have anyway of knowing without seeing under the hood.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    I know a lot of people have had issues with the forum being slow since the update, but for a while now I haven't really had issues with that, until a few days ago when the pages suddenly started taking quite a bit longer to load, mind you I only mean maybe 20-30 seconds. It makes it difficult to quickly check the forum for new posts, and I can see why so many people have stopped posting entirely if pages are taking a minute or more to load. Nobody has time for that.
    In the same boat here^^

The new update slowed things down but was still okay to use. Whatever changed a few days ago slowed it down unbearably, but after logging in last night/this morning, it appears to be back to the old ‘normal’.

I know I get mad once a year and shit post on someone’s thread who’s asking too much $$ for their car, but I am logged into R3V and reading pretty much all day, so I would be willing to help with mitigating scammers or however I can (sadly not in the web development realm).

Leave a comment:

• DMan II-40
    replied
    I joined here recently because I liked that it focused on the E30 instead of just BMWs. I’ll try to do a little bit by promoting the website on my Instagram. Every little bit helps I think. Hopefully the management/ownership situation gets sorted because that could help improve the experience.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    nando what do you think it will cost to fix whatever is causing the site to be so slow? I feel this page has extras that are slowing this thing down. Who has ever used the blogs/ articles / groups sections? Maybe that can be something the r3v survivors can pitch in on to make it happen. If it’s a sh!tshow for one man to deal with and James is the one man who can fix it on his own but doesn’t want to deal with it maybe this can be our gift to him?...

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Since nando is experienced with web development, and has been a mod here for as long as I can remember, seems like he would be the obvious choice to handle the more techy stuff, and 2man would be a good choice as the main guy to handle the stuff on the actual forum. I'm sure we could find some more mods to help moderate as well. I have no idea if either of them would be interested in taking on those roles though.
    the problem for me is I know how much work something like this is to take on all by yourself, lol. I don't envy whoever ends up taking on that role, and I think that's why the last update has been stalled for so long. Also I don't have any say in it anyway, James has full control over everything. The only thing I can do that 2mAn can't is ban people. I don't have access to anything else.

I could almost live with the slow performance if we could at least deal with the spammers more effectively. it's just not sustainable to have volunteers constantly playing whack-a-mole. That's likely a factor in why most of them have disappeared, and it's not exactly a turn-on for new members when they get constant spam PMs and the whole first page is completely spam posts.

Leave a comment:

• mr2peak
    replied
    Someone needs to hack the site away and take control, back to our roots

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Im a simple guy, if I was in control I would eliminate a lot of stuff that doesnt seem to provide anything for the page... I also a few years back now was part of the newly formed E30 group of the BMW CCA and we had big plans to incorporate R3V and I would still use that, but who knows whats happening there anymore. agent was a big part of that and I havent seen him post in forever either. I hope he's ok...

Leave a comment:

• Victell
    replied
    ...The site is going to be dead in another year...
    what

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Since nando is experienced with web development, and has been a mod here for as long as I can remember, seems like he would be the obvious choice to handle the more techy stuff, and 2man would be a good choice as the main guy to handle the stuff on the actual forum. I'm sure we could find some more mods to help moderate as well. I have no idea if either of them would be interested in taking on those roles though.

I know a lot of people have had issues with the forum being slow since the update, but for a while now I haven't really had issues with that, until a few days ago when the pages suddenly started taking quite a bit longer to load, mind you I only mean maybe 20-30 seconds. It makes it difficult to quickly check the forum for new posts, and I can see why so many people have stopped posting entirely if pages are taking a minute or more to load. Nobody has time for that.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    James has to be over this...

That whole update took forever, then we get an even slower forum with no active mods to even ban spammers.. hard to believe otherwise at this point

2mAn is obviously the most active and takes the initiative to get the ball rolling on solving unattended problems, yet barely has any real authority.

Finding someone like that, who is willing to take the responsibility of the forum is what's going best.

Maybe our only active mod is down for that... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I think this rate, with an untended forum and a dwindling active member count, I would be surprised if even them most active members today will be here in another few years.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Oh, we're going to get tech'd, or so it seems.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I'm not arguing with you Chris. The site is going to be dead in another year. It's a shame James doesn't seem to be involved anymore. Is he willing to hand the reigns over to someone else?
    yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with you either.

That's a great question. There's things I could do to help, but I think the main problem is it's probably too much for just one person to handle. I don't think he wants to let this turn into E30tech but that's kind of what's happening unfortunately. Maybe there's stuff happening behind the scenes we don't know about? I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X